The Official Tiffany Cherry appreciation thread {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    O-M-F'n-G!

And a Happy New Year to all!

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It warms my heart just knowing that those pictures have made your day... on New Year's, or any other day. :)

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Australian Open -- the first of the year's four Grand Slams of tennis -- starting on Monday here, might we see more than just the odd dispatch on ESPN Australia's versions of "SportsCenter"?

Or maybe even contributions on-site on (wait for it) ESPN and ESPN2's coverage back home? Hey, one can dream! :)

Wait and see...

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Bumping this just to show that I still care. And that I endured much Australian Open coverage with nary a whiff of Tiff...

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well, that's the Americans' loss.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *bump*

Less than two weeks before the 2008 AFL season starts.

And yes, another season of all the brilliance that is the lovely Miss Tiffany Cherry, on both ESPN Int'l and SEN radio.

*swoons* :p

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season is now underway!! Bring it on, Queen Tiff!! :D

8. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you're married now!

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like bees to honey. :D

And you will be soon...

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be mentioned, as it's been brought to our attention by one of the forum's more frequent posters, that Queen Tiff features prominently in the debut issue of "Four Quarters", a new glossy magazine focusing on AFL footy and out on the newsstands around here.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bought the magazine today -- and only one bloody page!! :mad:

But a nice photo of Tiffany, holding the ESPN microphone.

And also, one significant point to update: she's permanently in the U.S. now, at ESPN's global HQ's in Bristol, CT. And she is there to co-anchor the Pacific Rim version of "SportsCenter" on a full-time basis.

And here's a quote from the article, from author Peter DiSisto, that puts it all in perspective on Tiff's career move:

Her new job is a curious one; she works she works on a program that emphasizes sports such as the AFL, but does it while living on the other side of the planet. That's the nature of global media business today.

Great article, even if it is a short one.

12. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    *bump*

I just happened to be watching ESPN the other day and saw Tiffany on one of their sports shows. I thought of you babytiger & just had to come to this thread.

And I'm going to borrow a line once famously used by Trevor Marmalaide on The Footy Show a few years ago to Eddie McGuire about Nathan Buckley.

"If you came home and found your wife in bed with Tiffany Cherry, which side would you get in?" :D

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, like I said before, it's not like I'm after an open relationship or anything like that -- but when you ask the question that way, it might be fun to watch! :p

Apologies to my wife, in advance, for the beating I'm bound to get when she logs on and sees this. :D

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I thought you had that written into your vows...

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. I'm always in some form of trouble, from time to time, just varying degrees of it. :D

And bumping this thread, since it's a mortal sin to let it drop to the second page of this forum.

Admittedly, I do miss seeing her around my footy rounds at Telstra Dome, the MCG and Kardinia Park. :(

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *bump*

We cannot let this slip down to the second page of the forum... that is a crime against humanity!! :eek:

Anyway, I'll admit it: I do miss Queen Tiff, I miss seeing her around the grounds here.

17. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm still in the process of digesting the umpiring from last friday night Will, so give me time.

Ok, enough time has passed. Seriously, there are better looking women in the streets in the US, why are you forever pumping this one's tyre's?

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    USA, meet Tiffany Cherry.

ESPN viewers in the United States finally get a Queen Tiff sighting today on its Australian Open coverage, alongside Cliff Drysdale and Killer Cahill.

Happy Australia Day to ME!

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the sporting world will never be the same ever again! :D

The first sign of expanded duties for Tiff, over at ESPN, perhaps?

Although this is the first sign that she's back in Melbourne, albeit temporarily. :p

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I have a feeling they put her into service for Australia Day only. She's been nowhere to be found on ESPN today (and regular studio anchor Chris Fowler is back today...he was MIA yesterday).

Still, she is about Melbourne...yes. Is the restraining order still in effect?

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which one -- hers, or mine? :p

Depends how Jen feels...

Personally, now that Queen Tiff is States-side, and working for ESPN, I'd think she'd do well in a variety of different roles there. I know you'd likely object to it, but I think she'd be a fabulous choice to be a sideline reporter on MLS games for the network.

And I would wholeheartedly campaign for this to happen.

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I wouldn't object to it...I just wouldn't watch it.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your choice. Which is respected.

But based on what you saw a few days ago, is she ready for a larger at-large American audience?

Based on what I've seen of her here over the years, I would guess a "yes".

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I'm not quite sure. She was in her element when explaining the significance of Australia Day and some of the other major dates on the Australian calendar (Anzac Day, "Sorry Day", Grand Final day, etc...) and when she could talk footy with Darren Cahill (I didn't realize Killer's father was former Collingwood player and coach John Cahill). But when it came time for her to anchor the coverage from the ESPN studio in Melbourne Park, she seemed to develop a bit of the Colliwobbles.

And, as vanilla as the USA likes their sports, I'm not sure ESPN's American viewers are ready for an anchor/host that sounds so Australian. I have a feeling that her accent would sound out of place describing gridiron football or baseball highlights. I'm not dead sure she would be accepted by the viewers. I know ESPN has tried "bi-lingual" newsreaders (Michelle LaFountain doubles on ESPNNews and ESPN Deportes) and, despite the fact that she has only a slight accent, she has not been receieved well.