The Official Team GB football team thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Prenn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams can also have up to four stand-by players that can be named to the team in case of a training injury. So the squad trains and travels with 22 players. However the alternates are not officially apart of the team and wont receive a medal if the team wins one.

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think GB has got to go with Steele at goal. Butland might have the more longterm upside, but Steele has been the first choice keeper at Middlesbrough for the past two seasons. Butland was a GK in League Two last season. The Olympics are more about experience then upside, especially this year with the teams Spain and Brazil are bringing to London.

I think having Richards at RB would probably be more effective for this team, considering one of Richards best attributes is getting up the right flank and getting involved in the offense.

========Bellamy=========Sturridge
    =====Giggs====Allen==Ramsey====Cleverley
    Taylor====Caulker========Tomkins====Richards
    ================Steele================

This would be an extremely experienced side with really only Tompkins and Steele not in the EPL last year. However, Tomkins had a breakout year with West Ham earning PFA Team of the Year last season in the Championship. Danny Rose might have the more upside and more talent then Neil Taylor at LB, but Rose couldn't find consistent playing time with Tottenham Hotspur last season and Taylor started almost every game for Swansea City. Plus Taylor and Caulker played on the same back line last season, so they should have the familiarity of playing together.

4. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Tomkins can play RB, ergo you are wrong to state there is only 1 player who can play RB in the squad.

5. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about Tomkins ability to play RB, however Tomkins is more suitable to this team as CB. Craig Dawson is the weakest link on this squad and shouldn't step foot on the pitch for the entire tournament, unless there's a injury.

I still don't understand Nathaniel Clyne's snub, he was great for Crystal Palace last season. I would of thought he would of been selected over either Dawson or Bertrand.

Stretch Armstrong repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Although Bertrand's only made about 10 appearances for the chels, (albeit including one very notable one helping to win the CL final, ahead of Florent Malouda as it happens), he's also made about 150 appearances on loan to clubs including Norwich, Reading and Notts Forest and he's usually done very well at them.

In honesty he's also impressed when he's appeared for us as well winning a couple of MOTM's in the process. The problem is he's got Ashley Cole in front of him and that's been not made it any easier for the kid but he's a very decent player.

Stretch Armstrong and WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good point. Bertrand plays for one the premier teams in the world and Clyne currently only plays in the Championship. I'm sure Bertrand see just as challenging competition in training as Clyne views in his league.

I guess the reason that I was surprised is because it seems both Taylor and Rose would be ahead of Bertrand on the depth chart at LB, and GB seems to be shallow at RB and CB. Which would make it hard for Tomkins to serve as a proper back-up at RB if he's needed as a starter at CB.

8. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If Sturridge has to pull out, it would be good to see Jordan Rhodes, a scot, in there.

9. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has to pull out Pearce should man up and bring Becks in for his swan song. He is an absolute shite for not doing so in the first place. If he doesn't get to go I look forward to Man U giving him his testimonial.

10. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Beckham can only come into the squad if one of Richards, Giggs or Bellamy have to pull out.
    Only 3 overage players allowed

11. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, I forgot. I highly doubt any of them would back out to let him in, so it is going to have to come down to injury. What a sight it would have been for Giggs and Becks to go out together...

12. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    True. Have to say I like what i have seen of Tomkins - looks a very composed player.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  13. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On second thought.

_______________Sturridge_______________
    Sinclair__________Ramsey___________Bellamy
    __________Giggs________Cleverley________
    Taylor_______Caulker___Tomkins______Richards
    ________________Steele________________

14. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Sturridge has meningitas :(

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But might be OK anyway...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18699589

Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge 'optimistic' about being fit for London 2012
    Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge is optimistic of being fit for London 2012 despite being treated for viral meningitis.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is most of Britain getting behind this team like they would for their respective countries? Or is it mostly just the English with the rest looking on halfheartedly?

17. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    no one cares.

however, wargalaxy does have a bit of a point. what would happen if the team were to do the totally unlikely, take the tourament by storm and bring back the gold? theres more chance of me signing for manchester united after being scouted whilst doing the dentist chair at my local this saturday, but could lead to a bit of conundrum in future, given how little the lot of us ever manage to win individualy

WarGalaxy repped this.
  18. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still care. I'm excited to see a GB team play in the Olympics. I think it is another defacto-youth tournament where our players can get some experience at a high level. I wish we'd do it every Olympics and maybe have only English players for qualification purposes going forward.

19. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    i probably would enjoy this too, from a youth perspective, where it not for a certian s pearce, who, along with a certian d platt, have pretty much ruined my enjoyment of youth football.

20. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that's the FA being the incompetent tools they are, right?

21. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    of course. you dont blame the retard for accepting a post above their station. the person giving the retard the job is the one that should be locked up.

AnyLuckForEngland? repped this.
  22. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly. Look, we might not have the best ingredients, but when you hire a retard picking his own ass to do the cooking, don't be surprised if it tastes like shit.

23. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Team GB face Mexico in a behind closed doors friendly in Spain on Sunday.

24. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Team GB play Brazil tonight.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire