The Official SuperLiga thread [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by eL-ShorTy, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Interesting. The America and Morelia tickets are part of the DCU season package. I haven't been impressed by the attendance in the first two games last night, even for weekday games.

2. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Not only that, but futbol (soccer) i the U.S has too much competition from other sports. The NBA,MLB,NFL,even Nascar (nacos) have a well established fan base, that works against soccer gaining popularity in the USA. they are trying to change that by bringing people like Beckham, but I don't think it will be enough . In countries like Mexico, futbol is the number one sport.

3. ElJustin

ElJustin New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Houston/Buenos Aires
    The US is big enough to support all those sports. Especially since all the mexicans are coming here anyways.

4. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    yes, but most mexicans watch mfl not the mls

[​IMG]

5. Chivasporas

Chivasporas Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Yup and since we rarely get to watch these teams in person, we kind of treat it like a concert.

6. DCDireWolf

DCDireWolf Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the whole point, more and more people from Mexico and all over Latin America coming to the states. More and more people watching and wanting to watch live soccer games. MLS teams attracting more talent and increasing payroll, increasing revenues, getting more tv and advertising deals.

In 10 years, you'll see the MLS with similar bankrolls as NBA teams with similar player salaries, which will attract many more players.

Mexico isn't stupid, they see the writing on the wall and know that the secret to having a successful league in the future is to have open access to the USA market. Maybe it's hard to see that now because at the present moment the MFL is a stronger league in terms of talent and finances, but that will change quickly.

7. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think you're being quite optimistic about MLS's likely growth. I really have trouble thinking that soccer will become that big that quickly in the US. Especially when you have dumbf ucks like Jim Rome, and all the other "journalists" constantly bashing the sport. Don't underestimate their influence on the general public and casual sports fan. The MLS is growing and perhaps growing faster than some of its predecessors, but the stadiums are still empty, the talent pool is still small compared to the population. I do think the MLS will reach the level of the NBA, but I think it will be more like 20-30 years from now...which is pretty good.

Having money isn't everything, Mexico has a ton of it in footy, but neither of our leagues will get the best players because there is too much distance between us and Europe. If I was a top player I would 1)want to get as much money as I can. 2) Play against the absolute best, like the Champions League. While the US has the money to create a huge league, I don't think it will atract the best players because it won't be able to offer the competition, nor the prestige of the some of the Euro leagues.

8. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

I'm really tired of this "wait in 10 years" crap

it gets old

If the mls wanted to make the league any better why not bring good players while their young?

Beckham at 26,27 years old not 32

blanco in his prime not at the end of his career

Did the mls not have this type of money 4 years ago?

9. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Are you saying that the MFL's success depends on having access to the US market?

MFL clubs have had access to the US market since the 1940s and 1950s. MFL clubs use to play against Euro teams in the US as far back as the 1940s. MFL teams even us to play Copa Interamericana matches against Top South American sides on US soil.

Mexico's success (or recognition better yet) came from being able to play against top South American competition on a consistant basis.

As long as MLS does not get with the program and utilize the same calender that most Latin American league use, playing MLS teams quite frankly does nothing for the advancement of the MFL.

10. DCDireWolf

DCDireWolf Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Understood, but no sense in keeping your head in the sand. The trend is clear. MLS will eventually and not too far in the distant future be a healthier league than MFL. Superliga is an acknowledgment of this fact.

11. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    in what way ? and please answer my other questions

12. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    LMFAO

13. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    by hiring old farts your going to be a healthy league.

me das risa!

when n00b College sawker players are worth a darn, then this leage might be healthy.

Oh nvm, even with that itll be hard. NFL tard will be hating on MLS for years to come, no doubt.

14. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL...

Dude im sorry...maybe you are right...maybe, but i just dont believe it.

I think for the MLS to get better, you first need people to care about the sport. The Truth is that almost nobody cares about soccer in the US. Nobody will ever care. Not while the NFL, MLB, and NBA are around. The Casual fan will never choose the MLS over those leagues. Honestly it seems to me that the only MLS soccer fans(and i have never meet one face to face) are here on BigSoccer. The FanBase for the MLS is pathetic, whichmeans low ticket sales(except LA i guess).

MLS players can walk down the busiest streets of thier teams cities and no one would know who they are.

They barely get on ESPN or get any interviews.

A MLS fan cant go to just any bar and pick up a conversation about the game last night because that person would prolly laugh at you and say "Soccer is for Girls"

Sadly i dont think these things are gonna change...not even in 10 years...

But Hey...you might be right.

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What trend would that be the one that shows that the Mexican league constantly gets way bigger TV ratings then MLS does?

16. DCDireWolf

DCDireWolf Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on your club making it to the big league.

You'd be surprised about the level of support MLS has. It's not on the level of the NFL of course, but here in DC, United gets consistently bigger crowds (usually around 17k per game) than the NBA team. Big games are often sold out. Look around MLS, there are many other cities that draw the same or better.

I see people wearing jerseys all the time and people do talk about soccer in the bars. And there are too many Latin immigrants in town for anyone to seriously think soccer is only for girls.

Times are changing. MLS has a long way to go, but it's going to get there a lot faster than you think.

17. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Dude Sawker players are on espn all the time, with interviews and such. highlights, top ten plays and all that. I see hours on end of Sawker on ESPN.

oh wait that is ESPN Deportes :(

maybe MLS shoudl make an ESPN MLS? :confused:

18. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    Everything you say about American Soccer is true.

------
    Regards,
    The Year 1985

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I went to the Mexico vs Panama game in Houston over 60,000 people I saw on person in a Dynamo jersey. I saw more people in the Colombian national team jersey.

20. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

dude, i was at the DCU Chivas game and Chivas dudes were yelling all in DCU fans faces, outnumbered like a mutha.

21. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    3 and out.

Sincerely,
    Germany, Venezuela, Brazil. :)

22. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

it is.

post something worth a crap and spare us your wanna be wit.

23. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Fixed your post.

24. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First of all my club has been in the ''Big'' league. I have support BOTH Club America and Puebla FC because of my Parents. I was born here in NY while my dad is from Puebla and my Mom is from Mexico City. And Puebla was in 1rst Division for a long time before their Regulation.

And i think giving MLS 10 years isnt enough time...not to pass the MFL.

MLS in 10 years will be exactly where it is now...except without Beckham.

Most people that ive met didnt even know that the U.S. has a professional soccer league.

Mayb the MLS will get their....but its gonna be slower than you think.

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think that is the case.

FMF's top league is by far the richest in this hemisphere. FMF's fasination with the US market has nothing to do with MLS and everything to do with the millions of ex pats that live here.

The reason the FMF sanctions games in the US is becasue they make far more money per match here than in Mexico. They also have two huge TV markets in both countries for EL Tri games. They make money hand over fist.

Interliga is another example. Instead of playing it in mexicio they create a seperate event for Libertadores entry and play in the US to sell out crowds in Dallas and LA. SUM and FMF make a fortune of that tournement.

Working with MLS now has nothing to do with them thinking it will be bigger than them someday and everything to do with making money. If they can partner up with SUM again and sell the public on this then they could potentially expand this, eliminate Interliga, have many more US markets open to them in MLS satdiums where revenues are controled by them and MLS.

This means more money, national TV deals in the US, more strategic partnerships with US investors, etc. FMF will keep automatic libertadores spots as a hedge but i bet in the future you see Superliga as the premiere event in N America for entry into that event. No other central american sides, just US and Mexico...cause really as far as COMNEBOL is concerned those are the only 2 countries with the $$ and the large market exposures that makes it worth it for them to open their doors.