The official "Some site says this guy is a Yank" detective work thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 23, 2013.

1. fzzzy

fzzzy Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Jun 8, 2022
    Some names that are new to me appearing in FM24 database as American.

Neal Gibs LB with 5 appearances in 3.Liga back in '21 and a regular starter in the Regionalliga since now with SGV Freiberg.

Diego Mastrangelo young CB getting starts in the Argentinean second division.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. fzzzy

fzzzy Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Jun 8, 2022
    Makes sense. Entered Landstuhl place of birth on transfermarkt and see that Owen Gibs is also with FCK and his profile list them as brothers. Have to assume they are both American if either is. Currently playing for the U19s after being promoted from the U17s.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Hmm. FCK has been pretty good about listing nationalities, I believe, though ultimately they may go with the player's preference. They don't call Owen American on his profile page. But who knows...

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club finally put out a senior men's roster:

https://athlonetownafc.ie/senior-mens-team-2024/

Fuentes listed as Salvadoran, though they mention his college experience.
    Ibrahim is Irish and no connection to the US.
    Padilla is listed as American and has a BS page already.
    Oakley is a Yank.
    Torre is listed as Italian, but spent from 2021 to 2024 in the US in school. CBU lists his hometown as Turin.
    Rubenstein, Leal, Campion-Hinds are all with the squad. That makes 4 Yanks for sure, though they only list one citizenship per player.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Confirmed, maybe, by this video?

UniversalAdvice and fzzzy repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  8. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Sebastian Ramirez Maya, an '06 at Colombian first tier club Fortaleza CEIF, is listed as American by various sites like here.

A callup listing for a Bogota selection team says he was born in Florida, though I see there are places in Colombia that can also be referred to as Florida, so I imagine the details there will be confirmed at some point.

He made his first team debut in a cup match last week, looks like he was playing CB (was also listed as a midfielder by some sites)

Another one is that here's an IG of a player whose bio says "Youth Player of FC Utrecht" with USA and Jamaica flags. Based on the username @micktiel, his name might be Mick Tiel, unless that's a truncation or not reflective of his full name lol.

Didn't see rosters for their academy teams, so not sure on squad/age or those details, but from his profile picture looks like he's a GK.

Dave Marino-Nachison and BostonRed repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice, fun one. Hard to follow the breadcrumbs on this, especially since it looks like (could be totally wrong on this) that is indeed not his name, in some way or other, and the only references to "Tiel" on the club site I could easily find seem to be about a place in the Netherlands.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess it's possible, but after less than a minute of checking I'm not entirely sure it's right that Dylan Hand of Athlone Town is American, as this site suggests. It may just be that it's now assumed everyone at Athlone town is American.

https://us.soccerway.com/players/dylan-hand/598508/

11. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    This tweet from August links a Leicester move to Salem Sharif, at one point with Houston Dynamo.

He played high school soccer in Houston earlier this year, so not sure if he was training there or something else. Of course, other factors for a move like that would be age/passport/etc.

Other links:
    https://sportsrecruits.com/athlete/salem_sharif
    https://www.hudl.com/profile/11866787/Salem-Sharif

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Haven't looked into this too closely, but:

This appears to be a guy from Indiana named Jaxson Hundt.

https://www.maxpreps.com/in/mishawa...athletes/jaxson-hundt/?careerid=do2ap51jref00

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1663 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Clearly the man of the weekend is Wesley Okoduwa of Wolves! (Or, as my son used to say when he was little, not that he's not still pretty little, Wolverine.)

This seems to be the basic source, an interview with his father, which also says he was born in the U.S., without specifying a birthplace. I haven't seen anything that gets into it further but of course I might have missed it.

As discussions swirl regarding Wesley's international allegiance, Emmanuel remains open-minded, acknowledging his son's eligibility for Nigeria, England, and the United States.​

https://www.afrik-foot.com/en-ng/passing-the-torch-emmanuel-okoduwa-son-wesley-okoduwa

That's pretty good sourcing, obviously! (Am I nuts? A Reddit page linking to that article says it says he was born in New York. I can't find the reference!)

Anyway for fun I will note that:

TM's profile page doesn't mention the U.S. (He also doesn't come up when you search on American-born players with 2008 YOBs, which is one way to get at third nationalities on the site.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/wesley-okoduwa/profil/spieler/1115502

Some other sites say he was born in England but also don't mention a birthplace.

https://us.soccerway.com/players/wesley-okoduwa/895175/

https://www.playmakerstats.com/player/wesley-okoduwa/1133465

The club site doesn't help.

He's also young, so you wouldn't expect a lot of profiles/interviews/etc., though of course they do happen, so maybe we'll find one.

Anyway, not posting alll this to be a wet blanket -- more just to illustrate how messy some of the info can be while doing this.

Hoping to learn more before long!

14. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    #1664 UniversalAdvice, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    So yeah, of course there are multiple variables in things like this... in any case, with him being a Premier League player with buzz, I'd imagine his exact place of birth would get publicly sorted in pretty short order. Looks like the article quotes his father on other things, so it would appear that info is being directly sourced from him as well?

Anyway, had an inkling that there might be info if doing searches in Ukrainian, and there are actually a decent amount of even recent interviews with his father Emmanuel Okoduwa.

Didn't see confirmation of Wesley's birthplace, but there were various details which may or may not be interesting to certain kinds of people, so might as well drop them here after doing the searches (just did searches of his name/keywords in Ukrainian with Google Translate).

Might be more out there, and again, have to think there naturally will be public confirmation of some sort in fairly short order...

Regarding Emmanuel Okoduwa, he'd been living in Ukraine following his pro career before moving to Berlin. Didn't see any relevant mention of the US, but he did say he considered Nigeria, London, and Ukraine his homes. At times, there was mention of a wife and children but not with too much detail.

Onto the quotes, all Google Translated:

Quote, 2006:

Quotes, 2015:

Quotes, 2018:

Quote, 2023:

Additionally, there is an article from February by a Ukrainian outlet - the one who interviewed him in 2023 - regarding Wesley's eligibility that stated they would ask Emmanuel about his son's birthplace. Didn't see a follow-up article on that for whatever reason though, maybe it was followed up and is floating around.

Dave Marino-Nachison and BostonRed repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England U16 defender Keehan Underwood (Keehan Barrett-Underwood) is English-American per his Instagram bio and per Transfermarkt. He seems to be a right back -- thus age group competition with Okoduwa -- and has captained his Liverpool age group

https://www.instagram.com/keeulfc

UniversalAdvice, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  16. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    This article from August says that Roman Geiler, an '07 from California, joined PSG. The article says he has an American father and Costa Rican mother.

Transfermarkt also lists him as a CF with the PSG U17s:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/roman-geiler/profil/spieler/1256422

Dropping it in here because just after a quick look I didn't immediately see him listed at this page on PSG's site, though of course there may be many reasons for that, but as more info may or may not reveal itself in time, it figured to put in this thread for now.

Here's a couple excerpts from the article, Google Translated from Spanish:

So according to that info, he joined PSG in September.

He looks to have previously played high school soccer in California per this MaxPreps page.

BostonRed repped this.
  17. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aidan Dausch(2006) replaced Haji Wright today to make his first team debut for Coventry. I was alerted that he follows the USMNT, USYNT, Pulisic, and Balogun on instagram and liked a post from "USMNTONLY" a while back on twitter. Other then this no where else shows that he has any American links and I suppose its possible he just likes our national team because of his teammate Haji. However still thought it was worth posting here

Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  18. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Yeah... I'll just say I wouldn't be shocked if these are his parents. If so, he'd have familial connections to Virginia and New York per that info. At the time of that NY Times article in 2005, it said this potential mother was 28.

And there's also evidence of someone of that potential mother's name listed as French American by a UK government thing and born in 1976. So yeah, that age would add up of course.

All might be coincidental, which goes without saying, but there's the info.

Winoman, EXALIFTIN and BostonRed repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we walk that fine line between fandom and stalking

20. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Well I mean, a very simple Google search of “Dausch London” gave those links within the first few results, took just a minute and that’s all it was lol.

And those links are very public including a NY Times article, evidently in part due to their careers being pretty public. Would be hesitant to use the term soccer sleuth for that, let alone anything beyond it. Pretty surface level stuff.

As for the original spot, someone noticed a Coventry player liking a post from a USMNT account, not too crazy lol.

Sure, absolutely want to have awareness about what info is shared/how much it’s even looked into, again think this one was pretty surface level though connecting the dots between a liked post and an article, etc.

Also turns out @EXALIFTIN indeed spotted a very real connection there as well, including seeing how his Twitter bio has (or now has) English/USA flags.

https://twitter.com/aidan_dausch

So hopefully it's helped him with positive exposure as he pursues whatever he wants to!

superdave repped this.
  21. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Just saying, there was an Andrew Dausch who played football and lacrosse at UVA in the early/mid '90s. That's the same name/age as the UVA grad mentioned in this NY Times article who was working in London.

Of course, that timeline would also overlap at UVA with those such as Claudio Reyna, etc.

22. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read my post with a wink emoji at the end

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored a brace this weekend for the U17s:

24. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    #1674 UniversalAdvice, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Some from various places:

Transfermarkt:
    • '05 FW Mattais Rabbini at Cremonese - Says he was born in the US and there are traces of him playing HS soccer and at clubs in Florida. Looks likely it's accurate that he's American. Listed with the U19s. Highlights

• '07 GK Paul Kley at Montrouge - Says he was born in Hartford, CT. Listed with the U19s and looks like the club plays in the top group for that age, having played against clubs like PSG, Lille, etc. He made his U19 debut on 4/28 according to Tmarkt

• '09 Mark Dolgorukov at FC Tallinn - Has debuted with the U17 team at the club. Looks like a midfielder based on this lineup. That site also gives match reports on his profile
    Soccer Talents (not necessarily known for definitive accuracy):
    IG:
    • Quevilly-Rouen academy player - IG bio says Tyler and has an American flag. A TikTok with the same username has American and Congolese flags in his bio

• '08 DF Davi Prince at São Caetano - Has Brazilian and American flags in his bio. Looks like he has profiles on a few sites including this one. That site says he's played with the U17s at the Brazilian club

C-Rob repped this.
  25. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Some more:
    • '05 CB Nicolas Ramos at Nacional (Uruguay) - Uruguay U20 CB said to be born in Miami by various places, including Transfermarkt. Played with Uruguay U20 in March. Currently on loan to Rentistas. Full name is Nicolas Ramos Invernizzi

• '06? GK Cameron Anderson at Brentford - Playmakerstats lists him as American and as an '05. Transfermarkt profile lists him as an '06

• '06 Andrew Ron at 9 de Octubre (Ecuador) - Playmakerstats lists him as American. This might be his college recruiting profile and if it is, he played HS soccer in Miami

• '10 Jayden Arthur Veggerby Eldridge at Brøndby - Soccer Talents lists him as American. Shown in the same lineup as the aforementioned possible American Ricky Bredvig Addison here

• '10 Emmanuel Brown at 1860 Munich - Soccer Talents lists him as American. On the team's U15 roster here

C-Rob repped this.