The official "Some site says this guy is a Yank" detective work thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 23, 2013.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anything's possible, of course, but it's kind of unusual for a guy who has been playing at a reasonably high level in Europe for years to have his birthplace suddenly pop up as American. I also notice that there's an obituary for an older guy born in Cyprus with the same name posted by a New Jersey funeral home last year. The GK definitely isn't one of that guy's kids, though I guess he might be related in some way, no idea.

It's certainly rare but clubs have also been wrong about this stuff in the past!

jlsm repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting multi-national player who might be a Yank:

ScoutSearch
    @scout_search

Xai Oyharzabal (2007):

Xanti is a French attacking midfielder who currently plays in the @RealSociedadyouth system. His father is American-Spanish and his Colombian mother . Eligible for up to 4 selections: France Spain US Colombia

I can't find anything about him online. There is a Mikel Oyarzabal Ugarte at Real Sociedad, but he's only 25 years old. (Note the slight difference in spelling).

Here's a bio of Mikel that doesn't indicate a connection (or any hint of Yank-ness).

https://lifebogger.com/mikel-oyarzabal-childhood-biography-story-facts/

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What appears to be a past Spanish club also calls him "Xanti Oyarzabal," as do a number of other web results, including some on the Sociedad site. It seems possible the ScoutSearch folks just mistyped.

With that said, there's a decent amount of press and about Mikel that cites his father Ernesto, who evidently is or was also his agent, and none of it I could easily find mentions a little brother.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/seleccion/2021/06/10/60c1c052e2704ead6a8b462b.html

Obviously I could've missed it, or they could be related in some other way.

"Oyarzabal" actually seems like a fairly common name for Sociedad players! But this guy seems too old to be Xanti's dad:

https://www.realsociedad.eus/en/historical-file/player/206

UniversalAdvice and jlsm repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that means that Oyarzabal is probably a common Basque name. Better check to see if the kid has any roots in Idaho.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I noticed while looking for something else that an '09 at Real Madrid named Estéfano Andrés Tiniaco García currently at Real Madrid apparently came to them from a club in the U.S. called Ideasport.

RM says he was born in Venezuela and he appears to have spent years there but I haven't been able to figure out whether he might have an American parent or much else about how he got to the U.S. It's quite possible he's not American in any way but I guess that's what this thread is for!

https://www.realmadrid.com/futbol/estefano-andres-tiniaco-garcia

https://elpitazo.net/deportes/mama-...vaya-al-real-madrid-a-jugar-y-divertirse/amp/

UniversalAdvice, Winoman and jlsm repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the articles mentions they received asylum in the US. That's usually a long process that can lead to a Green Card, but still means a 5 year wait for citizenship. "After being granted asylum in the United States, we decided to move to Spain" indicates to me that they weren't in the US long enough for citizenship especially because they arrived in 2017.

There's also a college player at NC Wesleyan named Christian Tiniaco who is listed as coming from Spain & shows his hometown as "Venezuela."

https://www.ncwcsports.com/sports/msoc/2021-22/bios/tiniaco_christian_riyx?view=bio

I'd say based on this that it'd be a real longshot for him to be eligible for the US. But I've been wrong before...

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice catch. The NYW roster page notes that Christian is also from Orlando, and his high school seems to be from the Orlando area. There's also a youth running profile for what is presumably another of his brothers, also pointing to the Orlando area. Maybe one or both of his parents remained in the U.S.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't been able to find anything to nail down his US citizenship, but he has changed clubs.

micah w
    @micahw1718

Noah has since moved to rival side AEK Athens. He is joining up with their U17 side. Athens is currently 2nd in the Greek table, 1 place above Olympiacos.

If this helps, this is how the club lists his name:

LEVIS NOA WILBERT LAHTI

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another one from Micah W.

micah w
    @micahw1718

New American abroad! 18 year old Kaiwen Lü is a dual-nat, currently with Jiangxi Dark Horse Junior in the Chinese third tier.

TM shows him as dual. I can't find any info on him.

China doesn't allow dual citizenship so it could be complicated.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    @fzzzy, I have good news about one of your Football Manager guys. I'll post it later!

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another find:

micah w
    @micahw1718

New American abroad! Juan Pablo Moreno is a 20 year old midfielder at Fortaleza CEIF in the Colombian 2nd tier. He has started to break into the 1st team with good numbers, posting 3 goals through 8 games. Fortaleza is currently top of the league, prime for promotion.

TM says he was born in Miami: https://www.transfermarkt.es/juan-pablo-moreno/profil/spieler/906790

He also seems to have an old recruiting profile that has him in the Miami area (though the ages don't match up): https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-soc...-creek/monarch-high-school1/juan-pablo-moreno

I can't find a club website, though he is listed on their Wikipedia page.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    T'Markt lists a couple of guys named Kevin Lekaj. One is an '04, possibly playing in Albania, it says is Albanian-American. Another is an '06, possibly playing in Italy, it says is not. Soccerway says the '04 one was born in Michigan.

Winoman repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It looks like there's a guy named Mitchell Newton who recently appeared in a lower-division match for what appears to be Hamburg's third team and who, connecting a few breadcrumbs, is probably American. There's not a lot on him out there I can easily find; he might have been associated with IMG at some point.

UnitedSkipper27 and Winoman repped this.
  16. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
    Wait rewind -- that kid has US citizenship? Isn't he rated p highly in the Blackpool set-up?

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Haven't been able to confirm this, which isn't to say it's necessarily incorrect.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More from Micah W:

micah w
    @micahw1718

New American abroad! 16 year old Jaden Garris plays in the defense for FC Paderborn. This season, he has been promoted to the U17 team, where he has been a solid starter, with 10 starts and a goal through 10 games in the U17 Bundesliga.

TM shows him as being born in the US, but limited other info:

https://www.transfermarkt.be/jaden-garris/profil/spieler/1047401

He is also on the club site with no further info:

https://www.scp07.de/Teams/Nachwuchs/U17/Kader/Garris.html

Winoman repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Garris is the son of retired German-born basketball player Stefano "Nino" Garris, who it appears has a Italian mother and American father, and German singer Stephanie Brauckmeyer.

Probably safe to roll with a thread for YA purposes.

UnitedSkipper27 and Winoman repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, an American grandfather plus a father that didn't seem to have lived in the US as an adult doesn't necessarily guarantee US citizenship.

Seems odd for a well-off couple to come to the US for the birth of their son, especially when he is the one with roots in the US.

UnitedSkipper27 repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's an article I found earlier that indicated that his father may have spent some part of his youth in the States; there may be more to the story. In any case, I don't make THE RULES but it seems like it would be OK to start a thread in such a case, state the facts as understood, and let things transpire as they will.

UnitedSkipper27 repped this.