The official "Some site says this guy is a Yank" detective work thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 23, 2013.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a supposed American-born '02 named Jonathan Grot who has played in the Netherlands and is currently in the second division in Cyprus. Unfortunately when I've looked him up all I've found is T'Markt stuff and attempts to convince me that what I really was looking for is stuff about "Hamilton."

https://www.transfermarkt.de/jonathon-joshua-grot/profil/spieler/933458

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This might be a case of transposed names, but that's just a guess.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A number of sites suggest he's moved to the second team of ADO Den Haag, the first team of which plays in the second division. Always fun to type a sentence like that.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1105 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 22, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    There is a lot more of this activity going on than perhaps people -- well, maybe not people who post in this thread -- realize. It's come up before, but there is no doubt that online sleuths are scouring sources for eligible players who might represent teams around the world.

I've had the pleasure of connecting with several of those sleuths and I figure some of them will read this post! (If you're such a person and we don't know each other, reach out and say hello. I'd love to exchange notes.)

gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ChuckMe92 re-tweeted this one so it's worth keeping an eye on. There isn't much info on him on the club's site or elsewhere.

Lucas is a USA-born central defender Uruguayan father and Argentine mother. Makes life in the lower @LiverpoolFC1915

He lived his first 3 years in the United States before emigrating to Uruguay. Eligible for US, Argentina & Uruguay.

This Liverpool is in Uruguay's top tier.

taylor, sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  7. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Looks like this may be the same guy - appearing as Faris Abdelhaq.

He's listed with CD Marino of the Spanish fifth division by Transfermarkt, although it also says his contract expired on 6/30. He made 4 appearances with them last season when they were in the fourth division after joining from Cadiz's reserves.

Also found this write-up which gives more on his background.

Winoman and taylor repped this.