The OFFICIAL San Jose Earthquakes vs. DC United Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Th4119, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It's officially Wednesday, so I'm officially allowed to start this.

NO FLAMES
    NO TROLLS
    NO GAYSMACK
    NO POWER HUNGRY MODERATORS
    NO GOALS
    NO WINS......(Sorry those are for the Post Match Thread)

Guys let's all get along in this one. Hold hands if you will to show the Metro fans we aren't homophobic or whatever was the issue last week. You know what, that's a good idea. This is officially a hand holding zone (just like the Colorado Rapids road trips...), good luck trying to type though. (Mods my hand holding zone idea will be very iffective in limiting the number of posts, and thus limiting the number of things you have to worry about.)

Anyway...on with the game!

Kick-off slated for 730, barring any power outages, severe thunderstorms, streakers, or falling pieces of concrete.

Has the chance to be a good game. San Jose is without Cannon due to Red Card suspension, and despite what others have said, I think this helps us a lot. Hopefully Moreno can play and figure out how to score again, erase the demons that he has from the last time we faced off against the reigning champs.

It's sort of early to do line up predicitions because of injury situations and roster acquisitions, so I'll wait to do that for now.

2. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Let me be the first to throw out a horribly optimistic predicition.

United 3
    Landon and Jets 0

Rocket Roy scores a hattrick displaying his fabulous dribbling skills by making a defensive play in his own end and dribbling through the defense. He will do this on all three goals.

3. dcuvabeach

dcuvabeach New Member

May 9, 2002
    Lassiter for 3 goals? Why don't I just go out on my own limb here and say this...

DCU 3
    SJ 1

DC---Richie Williams (Hey, it COULD happen)
    Rocket Roy (One last goal for OLD times' sake)
    Nicky Rimando (In a Jorge Campos-esque free
    kick from 25 out)

SJ---Donovan

And while we're at it...let's just keep going...DC wins this game, the next one at NE, then beats the Metros twice in three days, beats Dallas and EUREKA!

WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

Hudson is named Coach of the Year, DC wins another title, and the MetroScum fold entirely...Hey, I said we are going out on a limb here!!

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I predict a bunch of squeeling teenage girls behind the San Jose bench. :rolleyes:

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Without Moreno:

DC United-0
    San Jose-0

With Moreno:

DC United-1
    San Jose-0

I hope the weather is good and there is a good crowd.

6. soccerfanatic21

soccerfanatic21 New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    VA
    I sure hope so when i went to the All Star Game(my first MLS game)it poured down rain!And if only i was 2 rows back i wouldnt have gotten touched by the rain!

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    We lose. Pick the score 2-0, 3-0, ...

8. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  9. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    we win....what's the point of paying attention to sports if you don't have the hope of your team winning?

DC 4
    SJ 2

...maybe we just like playing against Team Teen Beat....Benny is pissed that Landon took away his girlie crowd

10. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    If SJ gets some defenders back and are able to put Mulrooney back into the midfield and put pressure on DCU's midfield, then there is no hope to score. The only time DCU has scored from the run of play in the last couple months is when they are given space in the midfield. Therefore, the best they can hope for is a point if the defense is airtight again.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    DC United 2

San Jose 1

- Note the DC United goals come after La Norte gives a lecture to the forwards that the post and net thing at their end of the field is for the ball and not just decoration for La Norte's TP rolls! :)

12. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    What I think will happen:

DC United- 1

San Jose- 3

The Nerfquakes do us the favor of eliminating whatever pitiful false hopes we fans have remaining.

What I hope will happen:

DC United- 0

San Jose- 0

Hey, I'm being realistic!

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Or donuts. Conway's lucky we don't have it out for him....;)

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I will pay attention no matter what United's record. Just being realistic that we suck.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ok - so just what is Moreno's injury status. I looked yesterday and asked about this on the other thread but didn't see anything.

Got any info for me?

16. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Check out Dice's practice notes. It sounds like Ray is hopeful he can play, just not sure whether we can start.

17. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    I'm sure Moreno will be hurt in some new and interesting way.

SJ - 2 : 0 - DC

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    It rained? At the All-Star Game? Thats crazy!!! =)

19. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    San Jose 1 - D.C. United 0

Our defense rocks our offense blows.

Q2 - has a miserable first half in which he is continually shoved off the ball and physically out matched. During halftime he asks the wee one for advise and promptly disappears for the rest of the game.

RW is on the bench at half time acting all proud about the advice he has given to Q2 when Ivan gets in his face. The two start shoving and pushing fighting over playing time. Neither one wants to play, both are ashamed. Richie ends up winning the battle when he "head" butts Ivan.

Moreno - Does not start, but comes on as a half time sub. He makes a brilliant run down the center of the field. One on one with the keeper and just as it looks like the home drought is about to end Moreno goes down holding his leg. He has been bitten by an imported swamp bug (sorry not trying to start anything) and leaves the game. Playing Time 90 seconds. Recovery Time till the next game day.

Rocket Roy - Hudson in an effort to score makes a suprising move late in the game. He pulls Nicky and puts Roy in goal. Yup you guessed it he is wearing an orange jersey with reflective stickers. Ray is quoted after the game, "The F***ing problem is that the boys were not hitting the target. I figured the lads as professionals could hit an orange traffic cone." Peter could still not hit the OTC. La Norte is thrown out of the game after proving that they could hit the OTC. There anger was misplaced because after Booby makes a picture perfect cross it becomes evident that the OTC is running away from the ball. Having used all the subs Ray instructs Roy to stand in the corner so he could not be called offsides. Roy confused as to what the ofsides rule is leaves the field, change jerseys and scores SJ only goal after heading in a low inaccurate cross by Peter.

Convey - Starts and plays a spectacular first 15 minutes until seeing a thirteen year old girl in a DC jersey holding up a sign proclaiming her love of LD. Convey is crushed by the realization that he is no longer every DC girls dream starts to loose concentration and his performance suffers as a result. Thinking out all the lost love Convey loosed mental concentration and passes to ball to Peter which leads to the SJ goal.

Olsen - Plays 90 minutes and can barely walk at the end of the game decides to take his fustration out on the DC fan who destroyed Covey's confidence. He stumbles to bench and takes a huge swig of gatorade. He then proceeds to walk to the girl with the LD sign and spit gatorade on her. Despite law suit threats by her parents the girl wipes the spit filled fluid off her face and falls in love with Olsen.

..The season gets worse from there

Convey is so crushed that Olsen has stolen his adoring teenage girls that he reverts to a normal high school relationship and is never seen again...cause he spends all his time with his girl friend. Overweight and out of shape he resurfaces several years later on the Jerry Springer show talking about how Olsen destoryed his life.

Olsen fell in love with the DCU fan and got her pregnant. Unable to to support his family on his salery he works part time as a model for suave. Becoming more and more famous he leaves his wife for Veronica. During an interview he told SA that LD can have my left overs. This lead to on an field brawl between Benny and LD during WC quals. Both are injured and miss the WC. The US goes three and out even losing to Saudi Arabia. Ben continues his career as a hair model. One day he tells Etch that the Mullett is out of style. To prove him wrong Marco vows never to leave DCU until he fufills his goal on the Mullett making a comeback.

Ray is last seen sitting at bar stool in a drunken mess mumbling something about Gazza and his heart. He is found the next morning the victim a Womens Rights Protest.

20. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Pray for rain!
    Statistics freaks scope this out, if you must.
    It seems to me we have won most of our rain games, and lost most where it wasnt.
    Rain:
    United 2
    San Josie Pussycats 0

Dry
    United 0
    San Josie Pussycats 2

Mark

21. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Victory, do you by any chance work for "Days Of Our Lives?"

DC: 1
    SJ: 0

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Mark is was raining when we got trashed by the Fire 3-0 at RFK too. :(

23. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Victory that was hilarious!!!

24. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Todd,
    I know we lost at least 1 in the rain, but, hell, at this point, YEAH I am grasping at straws!
    Mark

25. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    At this stage of the competition every game will be a pain.We are,"de facto" the last team in the league.What do we expect? Despite a pretty good defense we keep losing or tieing the games.Let face the truth : our midfield is the worse, we ever had !!.It is true that we do not have reliable strikers.So what,there are teams out there, were the midfielders are scorring a bunch of goals.It is also true,that in our particular case, without Moreno, we just cannot create any scorring oportunities.What does it means??? It means that DCU team is paying now for the ignorance of his coach.IMHO, he ignored the poor performance of the midfield.He tryed to apply "bandaids" to an "oppen wound".He should have known that, except for Moreno, there is nobody else to be able to score enough goals to keep the team aflot.What was a quick solution for a long standing problem??
    Well,Ray tryed the "bandaid" solution.We bring Lassiter,Eliseo,Zambrano.None of them have the chance to train with the team and they were "dumped" on the front line.What results are we expecting to get from a such "brilliant" strategy ?? The result is our current situation, it is a PAIN to wach our team playing and losing because we have such a joke of a midfield and such a total lack of talent from the strikers(except Moreno).For the rest of the season, every game will be painfull to wach for the fans.Why is that??
    Because, we have to pay for the "sins" of our coaches and management.I think ,some of us, were too "soft" with the team as well.I remember,it was long time ago I have said :"let's clean the midfield ,bring some A league midfielders they are better that what we have".A lot of you were laughing at such an ideea.Now, all of us are crying and there will be no escape from the pain of waching the team untill the last game.
    Conclusion : The same like the last one and the future one as well !!!