The Official San Diego Sockers Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by empennage, Oct 5, 2002.

1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Sockers just barely beat Kansas City on Saturday night. Sounds like there was good attendance with 7,524 showing up in San Diego.

Sockers Edge Kansas City in 22-21 Thriller

The Sockers' 10 goals marked the first time since Oct. 1, 1996 that the team had reached double figures in goals

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The standings as of Saturday nights games:

Soccer

MAJOR INDOOR SOCCER LEAGUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Western W L Pct GB

Milwaukee 6 0 1.000 –

SOCKERS 3 4 .429 31/2

Dallas 2 5 .286 41/2

Kansas City 1 5 .167 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern W L Pct GB

Philadelphia 5 2 .714 –

Cleveland 3 2 .600 1

Harrisburg 3 2 .600 1

Baltimore 2 5 .286 3

3. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    go sockers!

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their jerseys are rad.

5. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    you bet! i plan to get season tickets next season for me and seven-year old nephew......that game at home against kansas city: man! that was really heart-pumping.

6. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    You guys are lucky to be able to go see a Sockers game in person. Although I'll be back in San Diego at the end of December. So I'll probably catch a game or two, and hopefully some playoff games.

7. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    just wondering....who exactly is the most famous of all indoor soccer teams?

8. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The San Diego Sockers of course!!! :D

They've been around forever and are probably the most successful professinal soccer team ever in the United States.

9. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just looked at the schedule on www.sockers.com come and this is what I found for this weekend:

Saturday, Nov. 09, 7:05 PM
    San Diego Sockers
    Dallas Sidekicks

Sunday, Nov. 10, 6:05 PM
    Dallas Sidekicks
    San Diego Sockers

The Saturday game is in Dallas and the Sunday game is in San Diego. I wonder if the teams take the same flight to save money? Anyway I thought it was strange that the two teams would play each other back to back.

10. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they draw another big crowd on sunday.

11. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Yup - Dallas and the Sockers turned up on the same flight - Limo service waiting for San Diego and 15 seat passenger vans for Dallas.

12. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    yeah! we win back to back against dallas.

13. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So three of us drove down from LA to check out this game (Dallas V. Sockers). We pulled into the Sports Arena parking lot and saw what was a huge tailgate going on, and being a veteran of the Riot Squad tailgates at the Rose Bowl, I thought this would be a great place to start and maybe meet some locals... and maybe it was the fact that we were wearing Galaxy jerseys, but most of the people looked at us as if we were either A) from another planet or B) carrying ebola.

Ok, tailgates are exclusive affairs. No problem.

Bought tickets, sat in pretty good seats, renewed my utter hatred for those damn "cheer-stix", and drank my bourbon and coke (very civilized of your venue!). After the first period, I decided we had to move so we could do our chanting and cheering like we do at MLS games. Thus we moved HIGH up with nobody surrounding us for a 10 foot radius.

Apparently it wasn't enough. When we chanted the "Who's your father referee?" after a bad call- you know, the one where we say that he has none because he's a bastard... well, some NASCAR looking gentleman started yelling at me about "the kids" to which I apologized and said we'd tone it down. This, of course, was not good enough for him and he proceeded to continue to threaten to "kick my ass" for the next ten minutes. I guess ASS is ok, but BASTARD is not. Go figure.

Well, he was easily avoided and the game had some intense moments (loved the double power play). However, I do have to say that there's a lot of timeouts. I think I counted about 37884 of them. What gives?

Anyway, overall it was fun, but it certainly is geared for a different crowd than MLS.

Oh yeah, at least there wasn't any plastic horns.

Tommy Mack
    www.lariotsquad.net

14. El Cucui

El Cucui New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    NTX
    Some Inferno folks had a similar experience the night before in Dallas. My group of five never found Sidekicks supporters so we "got ready" for the game without them.

We got some "Let's Go Dallas" chants going in the first quarter. We were saving the harassment for the second quarter when Horvath was in front of us. But it came time to do what we were brought in to do...play the drums! Tommy, here is something you have in common with soccermoms and scoutmasters sitting around us...they don't like the drums! Granted, they resonate like crazy in an enclosed area. But the Sidekicks specifically asked us to bring them and play like there was no tomorrow. We weren't at church after all, we were at a pro soccer game.

Security came around several times in response to complaints. One person demanded we be removed from the arena. Another person threatened to sue us. I'm not sure what for. It was like a scene from Jerry Springer, complete with talk to the hand. Security didn't give us any trouble. I think they were told to look for us.

When the complainers realized we were there to stay, they were moved to another part of the arena. They did, however, move another group in their place. One of the girls said she wanted to hit me upside the head with my drum. I've lived in Texas my entire life and I still don't know exactly what that means.

We got plenty of compliments from people throughout the arena. But the Natural Light in a can and Pork Rinds crowd made much of it a night not worth repeating.

One in my group vowed never to go again based on the half-time show alone.

I think my group was the only one to show up without a minivan full of kids. It felt like an evening at Chuck E Cheese.

15. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, actually, I don't dislike drums. When I was hanging with the Inferno, I brought my own dumbek and joined right in. Also, you guys tend to be a lot tighter in performance than others around the country... but yeah.... I do think you tend to use it as a crutch instead of learning longer and more intricate chants/songs.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Tommy Mack

PS: At least you don't suck at it like the other supporter groups out here in L.A. I mean, DAMN, don't they understand rhythm?

PPS: And as I said, at least there were no horns.