The Official San Diego Sockers Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by empennage, Oct 5, 2002.

1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Siblings add to S.D.-Dallas rivalry

On one side will be the Sockers' Gaston Pernia, and on the other will be his brother, Leo, when the teams renew acquaintances tonight at the Sports Arena in Major Indoor Soccer League play.

The Sockers play the Sidekicks tonight at the Sports Arena in San Diego. Hopefully SD will get the win tonight, and this will be the start of a winning season.

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sockers beat Dallas!!!

Sockers get first three-pointer, first win

As it turned out, the Sockers didn't need an extra point to top the Dallas Sidekicks 7-4 for their first victory in two MISL outings before 3,658 at the Sports Arena.

Or in real points the score was 3-2. :D

3. ArtForceOne

ArtForceOne New Member

May 10, 2002
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Re: Sockers beat Dallas!!!

Only 3,658 in attendance? That's not a good sign. I do hope it gets better. Baltimore had over 8,000 for the Force's loss.

4. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think they had something like 6,000 for the season opener. Anyway, I'm not worried about San Diego, since they've proven for 20 years that they can draw decent crowds.

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one has answered me yet about the name of the team! Why "Sockers"??? Do they mean like "socks" or something? Tell me!

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my question yet*****

7. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that question. My guess is that it would be a play on the word "socks" being that soccer is played with the feet and all.

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, haha. That's interesting.

9. sniper

sniper New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sockers' Name Source

According to the MISL 2002-2003 League Guide, the franchise has a long twisted past! It was originally in the outdoor NASL as the Baltimore Comets (1974-1975) and then played in San Diego in 1976 as the "Jaws"! (eeww) In 1977, the team played one year in the NASL as the Las Vegas Quicksilvers but had financial problems. Mr. Bob Bell reorganized the owernship group and moved the franchise back to San Diego in 1978 as the "Sockers".

The Sockers name, retained by the first indoor team in 1980-1981 was "chosen both for it's alliterative quality and the fact that it denoted action - sock! - while incorporating the name of the game in a play on words. Rumor has it that late 1906's era TV shows such as "Batman" (Pow! Bam! Sock!) and "Laugh-In" (Sock It To Me!) may have influenced the decision"

...there you have it.

10. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Sniper. That explanation sounds as good as anything else.

11. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sockers play Heat Tonight

Here's a human interest article from the sports section today about the game tonight:

Sockers face familiar coach

The "Wolfman" is returning. Former Sockers player and assistant coach Erich Geyer will direct Harrisburg against the Sockers as the clubs get together for the first time in the new Major Indoor Soccer League at 7:05 at the Sports Arena.

His "Wolfman" nickname originated through his loud, animated actions as a Sockers defender from 1981 to '85. During that time, the Sockers won the first four of their 10 indoor championships.

Geyer also figured in three Sockers titles as an assistant coach from 1989 to '92.

12. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I predict the Sockers will win tonight by a score of 10-6. What's my basis for prediction? Absolutely nothing.

Also there'll be a decent sized crowd (greater than 5,000)

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info man! And I was the game on channel 4?

14. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sockers Lose 10-8 to the Cleveland Force

Not a good result for the Sockers, since they were leading the game in the 3rd quarter, yet still lost it. :(

SOCKERS FALL AFTER LATE RALLY BY FORCE

[​IMG]

15. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here's the Stadings as of today:

MAJOR INDOOR SOCCER LEAGUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Western W L Pct GB

Milwaukee 3 0 1.000 –

Dallas 2 2 .500 11/2

SOCKERS 1 3 .250 21/2

Kansas City 0 2 .000 21/2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern W L Pct GB

Baltimore 2 1 .667 –

Philadelphia 2 1 .667 –

Cleveland 2 2 .500 1/2

Harrisburg 1 2 .333 1

16. Milwaukee will win the whole thing for sure. Between the Wave, the Rampage, and the Bavarians (majors) we kick ass in the US soccer world. If only we had an MLS team...

17. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas transplant....

Grew up in Dallas and last saw the Sidekicks back in '84.

Of course, I was a season ticket holder for the Burn, and when I moved to LA, helped start The Riot Squad for the Galaxy. In other words, big time MLS fan...

But I want to get into watching indoor again. So... I'm gonna drive down to SD when the Sidekicks get their Nov10th and see what it's all about.

Is there a "fan party" like a tailgate, or a place to meet before games? Is alcohol served? Hotel close by? Is there an area where you can stand and sing/chant? And seeing as though I don't own an MISL hersey, shold I wear my Burn or Galaxy jersey? ;-)

Help a brother out!

Tommy Mack
    www.lariotsquad.net

18. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Dallas transplant....

I'm not in town anymore and haven't gone to a Sockers game in a number of years so I can't answer too many of your questions.

They used to serve alcohol at the Sports Arena, so I would assume that they still do. And as far as hotels go, they are plenty of them near by. "Hotel Circle" is only a 5 or 10 minute drive away, and there's probably 20 or 30 hotels there. There probably even some hotels on Sports Arena Blvd or Rosecrans.

Anyway, have fun at the game. I hope you'll post a report on here for us Sockers fans that are forced to follow them on the internet.

19. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The season is young. I think the Sockers will turn it around and be able to make a serious run at the championship. :D

20. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
  21. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, call me an idiot (I'm quite used to it in the entertainment industry), but do you realize that if you go to the Sockers' website, they DON'T TELL YOU WHERE THE GAMES ARE PLAYED!!!!

That's right. I've got no idea and I have to CALL THEM to find out.

When driving down from LA, I kinda need a destination.

Did I miss something?

tmack

PS: My Galaxy won MLS Cup today.

22. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
  23. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sockers on TV Friday night.

Sockers play the Cleveland Force on Friday night at 7pm. The game will be broadcast live on Cox Channel 4 for you lucky people in San Diego.

http://www.sockers.com/news/?cat=15&id=59

24. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The advertise the matches all the time on the radio stations. I've heard it on about 3 of them.

25. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States