the official Ricardo Clark thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FAS, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Clark kicks butt today and gets on Bruce's short list for Germany. I think he'll be a great international.

2. ATLTodd

ATLTodd New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    A little Rico Trivia:

What other two MLS Stars played on the same youth club team (different age groups) as Rico?

Clint Mathis and Marshall Leonard. All played for AFC Lightning based out of Atlanta as I did. I played with Rico's older brother Richonne. I am now a Rico fan for life since he would get out there and play with us.

Go Rico and Go Quakes

3. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome to the boards...

I'm glad to see Rico didn't pick up the same crappy attitude and such that Cleetus has

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks for the info. His older brother is "Richonne"? Seems like the plan was to name all the kids with some form of the name Richard? Does he have another brother named Rickov? A sister named Ricardenia? :) The name "Richard" apparently means something like "strong ruler".

5. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? I read somewhere that Richard meant savior, and extremely good with a soccer ball, and great asset to a team :D

6. ATLTodd

ATLTodd New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    You think thats funny...his father's name is Lancelot. He was, and I think still is, a coach in Atlanta.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    With a dad who's a coach, one of them should've been called Rijkaard. :)

8. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think that at this point I'd have to call the Rico the best defensive midfielder in MLS. Maybe the best defensive mid who's eligible to wear a USMNT shirt.

9. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    If I were the T&T coach and they are in it after Wednesday, I'd be on Ricardo like white on rice to take a cap. He could make a difference in their effort.

10. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there some distant citizenship connection? He's played for US youth international teams...

11. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    I hope, Bruce will cap him first.

12. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be nuts to take it. He's going to get a crack at the Nats and that will go beyond the one cup T&T will reach.

13. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    His dad is from T&T.

14. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I'd agree with Tony, Rico would want to play for the US (and expect that if he keeps playing like he has been he might get that chance)...anyone know what the specific rules are as far as playing for one team and then later on in your career playing for another? If Rico played for T&T this year, but then Bruce wanted to call him up to the US MNT, can that be done? I'm wondering if you have to wait for the "next International competition", so that if he played in the WCQ with T&T for 2006, then he'd have to wait until the next World Cup?

15. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    The restriction is much stricter than that. If he will play even a single game for T&T he won't be eligible to play for the US, EVER.
    I remember Chris Armas having a problem to get FIFA clearance to play for USA, because he played a few games for Puerto Rico. However, luckily those games were not "FIFA sanctioned" whatever this means.

16. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Wow - I guess it makes sense, but it's much stricter than I'd expect. Wouldn't expect to see Rico in a T&T uniform anytime soon....

17. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Yeah, Rico is so much younger than anyone who plays in the center of the US midfield now. Reyna, Armas, Mastroeni, JOB, even Donovan are all older (or much older) than him.
    So, eventually, Rico will surely be in the mix.

18. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    I hope you're right. I thought it would've been a no brainer to have him in camp for the game this Wednesday but maybe Bruce is waiting for the two games next week. The only thing that scares me is that he's not what most people around here think of as a prototypical d-mid and if Bruce feels that way he may not get a chance since he may not fit his system (I have no basis for this just a thought). I was equally floored when he only played the last few minutes against Real Madrid. Another thought...he may have an easier time than some getting a work permit in England (his stated choice for an overseas gig) since his mother is from "British" Guayana. Does anyone know if this would make it easier for him to get a British passport?

19. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Sevin - I wasn't really surprised to see Rico was not called into camp, until I saw that Bruce called in some other first timers. I had expected that he would stick with guys who had been playing togehter until they had qualified, and then in the next camp bring in some new guys. Don't know enough about what Arena looks for in central midfielders to comment on that issue. I have seen Arena quoted as saying the "World Cup is a young man's tournament" or something to that effect. He was talking about the short turnaround between games, and saying that he felt that it makes it very hard for older players to make the team. I assumed that would give Rico and edge.

Also, since Rico has some flexibility, in having speed and being able to create offense, as well as his (limited) experience at Right Back, I was assuming he would be an obvious callup. Having said that, Rico was not playing very well early in the year, so maybe Bruce was just waiting for him to show his ability to continue to develop and play well consistently. If he continues on his trend for the rest of the MLS season, it'd be extremely hard to see how Bruce could overlook him and at least give him some time in Intnl friendlies leading up to the WC. If he doesn't make the team for next year's WC, as noted, he's still only 22 years old and would be in his prime for 2010.

20. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    If he plays ina meaningful competition (i.e. not a friendly) for T&T he will not be allowed to play for the US ever.

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think now would be the time to give him a cap in the WC qualifiers, that way Arena would cap tie him to the US. There's nothing to lose having already qualified for Germany.

22. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    So here's the roster for the Wed USMNT for the game against Guatemala:

This seems to be a lot of the "next group" of midfielders, so it seems like these are the guys that Rico would be fighting for a roster position with. I've watched most of the USMNT games this summer, and I have to say that Armas, Mastroeni, and Ralston have not impressed me. Pablo has not played much, since he's been hurt, but when he has played he didn't jump out as someone who clearly belonged at this point in his career. I haven't seen much of Convey. Dempsey and Quaranta are the only two midfielders on this list who have seemed to play well by my estimation; and they are not defensive midfielders.

I know I'm biased, having seen Rico play so much, but I'd say he definitely would be near the top of this list of midfielders.

23. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I'm a big fan of Rico, but I do think the point LGF makes about how Rico has only been playing at this level for a few months is a valid one. Early in the year he lost his starting job. Last year he started 19 games with the Metros, didn't exactly light the league on fire in his second season. He's still very much a work in progress (guess that's true about a lot of guys in soccer, as they start playing at the highest level in the US much earlier than most other sports).

Anyway, with the other central midfielders on the USMNT getting up there in age, it seems that Rico should get a chance this year if he can keep playing at the level he has been playing at the last 3 months.

And he should get some serious looks over in Europe, depending on what his work visa situation is. Not to look too far ahead, but it's possible that the Quakes will not have either of their 1-2 combination in the middle next year, as I could see DeRosario and Clark both getting chances in Europe.

24. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Goal of the Year? What an outstanding run, he seems to have at least one like this in every game lately.

25. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
    Rico's nominated for GOTW. However, he's sitting in last place. C'mon, vote people! :D