The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    henryo repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    Construction continues on the Earthquakes new stadium in San Jose, Calif., Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2014. The business communications company, Avaya, is getting the naming rights for the stadium. (Patrick Tehan/Bay Area News Group) ( Patrick Tehan )

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the aforementioned San Jose Mercury News article:

I absolutely shudder to think of how our stadium would've turned out if ESLLC had kept it absolutely ghetto by stubbornly sticking to the previous $60 million or even $70 million total construction cost. :eek:

Thank goodness that didn't end up happening and we San Jose Earthquakes fans will now have a stadium that we can be proud of after all for generations to come. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

4. EpiQuakes

EpiQuakes Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great for the Quakes but is it a bit odd that the naming rights partner is one that does not sell to consumers so much as business to business?

Also, I don't buy that the video board, upper concourse and bar cost $40 million. Cost to build what they initially planned soared too.

Can't wait to sit my seat next season.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the most conventional thing, but it's better than MLM schemes and makes more sense than a mining company.

6. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those were not the only upgrades from the original bare-bones $60 million design. The seats, the team locker room and offices, the suites, the concourse, the wood paneling, the lighting, the tech, the roof, etc. were all upgraded. I assume the $100 million also includes estimates for the more expensive roof paneling and stadium skin as well.

henryo, Albany58, markmcf8 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. acreach1

acreach1 Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Lots of B2B's do this...Oracle and SAP here in the bay area for example...

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  8. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Yes, you could "Thank Goodness" but it might be easier to thank Dave Kaval ;). All along Kaval has been pushing the ownership group to "upgrade" the stadium. I believe that his efforts to bring 50K fans to Stanford was part of his "proof" to the ownership group that he could fill the new stadium if given a chance to properly promote soccer. I still think that he was given a very tight rein on a budget but he was able to nudge the ownership group forward each time.

In a past post, I noted that my own estimate of the cost of the stadium was looking like around $100M rather than $60M or $70M. Seems like I was pretty close. And I think, as Kaval is quoted in the Merc article, that happened intentionally as Dave was able to show improved value with each upgrade.

On that note, I am guessing that Kaval is doing something similar with the outside covering. Notwithstanding the report that the City was unhappy with the Terracotta covering, I can believe that Kaval may be gambling that, if the season opens strongly next spring in terms of attendance, he has an idea for an even more dramatic covering for which he will once again be able to justify additional expense. I am hoping that is the case!

ColinMcCarthy and Goodsport repped this.
  9. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good stadium naming rights deal for sure, but does this mean we still will not have a jersey sponsor in 2015?

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope not. He said they had 40-50 interested companies looking at the naming rights deal, I would think some of them would be interested in the jersey sponsorship.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we wanted a reason they seem to be "under delivering"... Seems they've already paid $40 million more than they originally intended to just to get the stadium to where it is today. Considering the public didn't contribute to it... I'd say we're lucky.

As for the name... I'm still calling it the Epicenter. Avaya Stadium is just too damned pedestrian. It should have been Avaya Epicenter.

bigdumbgod, SoccerMan94043 and Goodsport repped this.
  12. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I guess the "official color" of the Avaya logo is red, and it brings out the Quakes "legacy red" accents quite nicely. I approve. Avaya should be happy too, as the red really stands out.

SeaJayBee and bsman repped this.
  14. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Queue the whining about the roof being black in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anyone whine about it? Black is one of the Quakes colors, even if not the main color. And it's Avaya's color. They're paying for their name on it, they can color it any way they want. Most stadiums logos and related paraphernalia are almost always colored for the sponsor, not the team.

16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solar is not cheap too, specially if it turns out to be SunPower. I had heard indirectly that the stadium was going to be making an effort to put solar in but have never seen anything from the team touting it until the tiny little mention in this Murc article. I know someone at Sunpower who has mentioned the 'Quakes were talking to them before construction started.

17. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, Avaya should have spend $40M on naming rights so everyone would call it the Epicenter.

I explained all this to you 7 years ago. http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...ets-sold-thus-far.633337/page-7#post-13470424

Re-read it again, then maybe you'll understand. ;)

Albany58 repped this.
  18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all going to call it The Epicenter anyway. Avaya Stadium or Avaya Epicenter it doesn't matter, the stadium will be called by its nickname either way. Just as the Tank is called the Shark Tank regardless of which name has been on it (SJ, Compaq, HP, SAP...). So they might as well have gone with the slightly catchier and unique name that no one is going to use rather than the obvious boring one. It's not like either name has any impact on their actual branding.

I've always understood your point, I've never never agreed with it ;)

Albany58 and Goodsport repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Based on the image of Quakes players appearing in the slideshow on Avaya's sponsorship page,
    the only players we can count on seeing next year are TT, Wondo, MPG, and JJ.

20. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 FUAEG, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Well we can't say you're ignorant then can we.
    But we can say that, frankly, you're not very smart. ;)

You can call it anything you want. It's just not it's name. And you'll have to deal with the whole family-fun-zone -face painting-bouncy-house-epicenter confusion.

21. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wont whine, but I hope they took in account the heat absorption of a black roof.

I think it's rather neat that with our 2 sided video board, The Avaya logo can be read the same way forwards and backwards, except for a little portion of the y....

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avaya con dios.

How much did the quakes get for this sponsorship?

Also, this $40M cost overrun changes my predictions on Kaval's next career move. I can't imagine a 67% cost overrun is going to get him a lot of job offers. Plus, you guys realize that tickets are going to have to increase accordingly, especially if the team does well in 2015?

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have probably mentioned the solar at least 3-4 times in this thread. The solar panels will be over the VIP parking lot.

24. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    yeah but where will the solar panels be??

Kot Matroskin repped this.