The Official Michael Baldisimo thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filipinas50 repped this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, someone can tell me why I should care about this selection...

Beerking repped this.
  3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid solid solid... Replikait is very happy about this move.

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baldisimo is actually a smart and good pick up! He's young 21 or 22. Hasn't played a whole lot, he played more in 2021 than last year, but he's a good young kid who can offer depth and some speed. I'm glad we took him over Bobby Wood and the other plebs available.

He completes a good percent of his passes, he's not going to spark the attack or raise the defense but in time he can develop into that. This seems like a Luchi-type pick up or player. He can become a good #6. He plays deep and similar to how Corrales would play. I would personally put the bet money on him to become a starter or be a significant contributor to our team. A change of scenery from Vancouver will be good for him. I would like to see him Tsakiris and Montiero together at some point. He offers speed Tsakiris and Montiero don't have.

Again as I said, I like this pick. Glad we got him over Vazquez, Wood and some of the other guys picked. Ifunanyachi Achara and Danny Trejo would have also been good selections but Achara went to Houston and Trejo is now a free agent. Tello would have also been a great pick up, but LAFC are going to resign him as he opted out of Re-Entry.

[​IMG]

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/five-players-who-should-be-getting-more-love-this-season

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I just haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. Agree on not taking Wood (although I used to be a fan) and Trejo would have been a good selection. Based upon your comments, I hope that his pickup and Luchi does alter our midfield style as you described.

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still a fan of Wood, but he wouldn't be a good fit for us. Ebo is better but I want better than Ebo. I was really hoping for Trejo.

I think think we need to get 1 or 2 more midfielders we'd be in good business. This move tells me maybe we look past Judson?

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bobby would be decent as a backup to Ebo, but not worth the money and having him on the team. He is a better fit for a team who is actually competiting for a MLS Cup.

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not the quality upgrade we need at #6, but maybe a good depth piece. Signs that the Judson negotiation is breaking down?

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  9. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We have 3 vacant CM spots with Gregus and Remedi leaving and Judson undecided. This is probably for depth and development. We certainly need an upgrade (or two) in the middle.

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's better than Gregus and Judson. I don't hate Remedi but he'd be a better fit for New England, LAFC or Chicago based on their personal and style of play. Just as Thompson would succeed with the Revolution or Philly.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He’s reportedly Filipino-Canadian.

Another ambiguously-Asian Quakes player in the tradition of Vako and Kashia. :)

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Cool. Hopefully Quakes II can make the playoffs next year.

13. itscalvin

itscalvin Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Mar 31, 2022
    I like how he provides great passing skills to the team. The only thing that worries me is his size in the midfield and I heard that he is pretty injury prone. I hope he does great and provides the diagonals that Yuiell used to do.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baldisimo is a good player. I’ve watched a fair number of Whitecraps games over the last three or four years. Their problem is creativity in the final third and a sometimes suspect defense. Their distribution from the back is pretty good.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    The pickup makes total sense then as the Quakes did not have the Filipino-Canadian spot filled, not to mention the kinda Asian spot.

16. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I am impressed we went with someone who is only 22... I think he might have some good upside, definitely a different kind of move from the Quakes

itscalvin, bostero24, markmcf8 and 4 others repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looking forward to Filipino Heritage Night -- and lumpia in the food stands! :)

JazzyJ repped this.
  18. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he'll be the best kinda Asian since Brian Ching... man I loved "Good Judson". How did he fall apart? Is it really just a bad enough bum knee or whatever?

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don't forget Anthony Ampaipitakwong! BTW, looked him up - he had a pretty good career in Thailand after he left the Quakes. I thought he was a little guy like Baldi (who's 5'6") but Anthony is 5'9".

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #20 JazzyJ, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Baldi highlight video from 2020 - his most productive year in terms of scoresheet stuff. Not all that much to be impressed with in the video: one good shot from distance, a couple of not necessarily remarkable passes for assists, and a couple of tackles. They show a tackle on TT in the video but I'm not supposed to mention TT so nevermind!

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You spoon, there's more to soccer than shots, goals and assists.

22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Mark Chung?

23. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're really still talking about someone's race and trying to compare them to the same race of others in the past (even kinda-sorta joking)? Does that have *anything* to do with his playing style or abilities here? Come on.

sacrxy, markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, let's keep it to ethnicity comparisons only.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #25 JazzyJ, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Can’t have any fun around here anymore :-(. It is fairly unusual for us to sign a Canadian player, let alone a Filipino-Canadian. So it's kind of unusual and cool. I think we might have had similar posts about signing Monteiro - finally a Cape Verdean-Dutch player! And then of course there was the segue into Don G's "Vako is an Asian" gag - which is partly true I suppose but mostly about the gag I think.

Anyway, I posted a highlight vid if you want to watch him in action a little bit. And Markmcf8 posted what he knows about him, so you're free to add to the discussion on those posts and tilt the balance!