The Official Mexico vs Brazil: friendly 9/12 [R] Pre/PBP/Post Thread

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team: News, Analysis & History' started by nanni, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanni

nanni Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

actually after his injury he played fine with Salamanca it was this last WC he was in where he just simply never pciked up his rythem,,,but i think maybe if given the Chance he could step it up....but like i said if he dosnt play its not like we have nobody we have more than enough in the other players for example Cacho like you said.

2. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just think sending an inexperienced player like Vela to make his debut against the best players in the world is not a good move. I mean, he didn't even start against Panama at home but he should start against Brasil? At least Giovani started against Panama but we're not sure he'll even start against Brasil. Also, he's barely had any playing time with Osasuna so again, he doesn't have the experience. And the biggest reason people gotta calm down with Vela is the way he played in the u-20 world cup. I thought he was disappointing there and how do you expect him to play against Brasil after not scoring a single goal with the u-20's? I think Vela is a great talent but not like Giovani cuz Giovani is already succeeding with a club like Barca so Vela is just gonna take longer. Vela probably will start by 2010 but not by tomoro.

Everyone just calm down... I also know we're preparing for Beijing but that was supposed to be what Panama was for but not against Brasil.
    Cacho's performance in Venezuela earns him a spot for tomoro and he hasn't taken a step back, so I don't know where you're getting that from. I know you want to see that "magic" you're talkin about but not against Brasil. No matter how much magic some of our players it can't match Brasil's right now. We've never beaten Brasil with "magic" before. We've beat them with coraje, hard-core, Mexican grit and huevos. I'll tell you when we can use that "magic" against the USA cuz that's wat we need against them. Vela hasn't earned the starting position for me yet. If you're Hugo what kind of message does it send to the other players who have worked long and hard to earn a spot on the NT while Vela who isn't even 20 yet starts against Brasil and their "A" team? We gotta be patient and not let our excitement get the best of us. I know how you all feel, players like Vela and Giovani could be the players that change futbol forever in this country but not yet.:)

3. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First of all, it doesn't matter, its a friendly. Secondly, while Brazil remains the best (IMO), that doesn't mean that we won't win. History has shown us that we typically, or at least recently have beaten Brazil more often than not, Nery has only been a part of one of those victories. I'm not saying we will or won't win, I'm simply saying that I disagree wholeheartedly with your reasoning.

I can't believe what a defeatest attitutde you have toward your team, what do they have to do for you (and others) to give the boys some credit. No offense, but grow a pair...it just sounds like you're scared of brazil.

4. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You are too much bro...
    Brazil is a much better team to play against than Panama. I rather the kids play against a team that typically allows their opponents space because they will inevitabley be more concerned with scoring as opposed to defending. Panama on the otherhand likes to even the playing field and talent gap by hacking, kicking...in other words the type of tactics that can injure players.

I also disagree with you about Vela and his WC performance. It wasn't legendery, but I thought he played ok, better than Gio in some intances. In fact, I kept thinking Gio and Vela are going to waste because of the crap midfield they had to play with. I'm not getting all spazzed out, I'm thinking about not using bullshit excuses like too little experience, or being too young as a reason to be "patient".

Fu ck experience when we are talking about our forwards... They should get a taste of top quality oposition now that's its available. Who knows when the kids will see another chance like this one. If you are so hell-bent on having the kids play against lesser opponents, don't worry...that's what WC qualifiers are for.

5. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You know, Bob Bradley thought the same thing for la Copa America. The young guns should get a "taste of top quality opposition now that it's available." Argentina 4 USA 1, Paraguay 3 USA 1, and they lost to sorry Colombia and I don't know what the final socre was. I'm obviously not gonna change your mind, you think Vela should start against Brasil rather than Panama... I see what you're saying about Brasil playing more open than Panama but I think Lucio, Maicon, Juan, and defensive midfielders like Gilberto Silva can shut you down more than Panama. Do you honestly see Vela being this big hero tomoro, and scoring against the Brasilians? Maybe he'll get some minutes but not as a starter. "Fu ck esperience when it comes to forwards" Wow... Bottom line: Hugo will be smart and not debut Vela as a starter but get back to me and shove it in my face if ends up being true. :cool:

6. LMexiquita

LMexiquita New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Tora Bora Cave #69
    GOLTV, just said that Mex did not had ther PM practice due to weather issues....

7. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I saw Pasion's pictures and it looked like they were practicing indoors, but it looked like they were having fun and jokin around which is cool instead of practicing What is it with the bad
    weather following our seleccion?:confused:

8. BoostedE55AMG

BoostedE55AMG Member+

Feb 24, 2007
  9. SoyOllin

SoyOllin Member+

Aug 14, 2006
    D TOWN
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What channel and time is the game going to be at?

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wednesday, September 12
    Telemundo
    Mexico vs. Brasil (at Foxboro, Mass.)
    8:30 PM ET / 7:30 PM CT / 5:30 PM PT live
    (there is a half-hour pre-game show prior to this time)

11. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Do you guys really think that Hugo is gonna go with the same 4 up front that he used in the Copa America game vs Brazil, meaning Arce, Guardado, Cacho and Nery, to me it would be a mistake to leave Giovani out, just play him on the right with Nery and Cacho as the 2 strikers heck I'll even play Vela before Cacho but I think he's gonna go with Cacho.........god I hope Arce doesn't start......

12. OG Junglist

OG Junglist Member+

Jul 21, 2005
    El Jebel, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    So Pachuca has 16 goals in 7 games, and though having 8 different players score on the team, Cacho has 25% of the goals (4). This is despite playing 23, 16, and 0 minutes in 3 of the games.

I thought Cacho already deserved the start because of his performance with Nery in Copa America, and because with either Nery and/or Gio on the field you need a forward who can play with his back to the goal to feed them balls, but I think he also happens to be on a roll with Pachuca right now. Seems like his start should be a no-brainer.

As many of you have said before, this would allow Gio to play on the right (for Arce), a position more similar to how he is used in Barcelona. Ideally, of course, Hugo would be willing to break out of his 4-4-2 and experiment with some other variations, to see different combinations on the field.

15. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is good to see some progress, when I started to read this thread people didn't want Vela to play, and now in the mist of the argument, they have conceded in allowing to play, but not as a starter. thank you guys for your understanding, and giving your consent to giving Vela a few minutes.

From my part, although Hugo will do as he pleases, I think Vela should get some minutes. Starting him now might be counter productive, because he has proven to not be used to the attention. Maybe now that people seem to not pay too much attention to him and focused more towards Giovani, he might wake up and shine like in Peru, but who knows. However, Hugo mention Vela along with Giovani, as major Mexican weapons so now he will be compeled to play him. So I guess that ends the debate, from a logical perspective. Though, it doesn't mean that he will start.;)

16. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    John Suttcliff on ESPNDEPORTES confirmed the starting line-up on Futbol Picante.

BARRING ANY LAST-MINUTE CHANGES THIS WILL BE THE LINE-UP:

-----------------------Ochoa--------------------------
    Castro-----Marquez---------------Magallon-----Salcido
    ----------Torrado----------------------Correa----------
    Arce------------------------------------------Guardado
    --------Cacho---------------------------Castillo--------

Its the same line-up that we used against them in Copa America with ONE change.....Salcido for Pinto.

17. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Whether he plays or not, I think it was worth bringing Vela so that Hugo at least gets a chance to train him for 10 days.

I am in favor of seeing him play some minutes, but mainly because the 2nd half vs Panama was lost, and the game vs China seems to be cancelled as well.

18. Tello

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yea the game against China was Cancelled but they play on the same day against Guatemala.

So yes Its now Officialy Mexico Vs Guatemala

19. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I like the line-up, and I fully expect Gio to come in the 2nd half. My bet is he comes in for Arce. Vela might come in, but he really is not in playing shape yet. I would like to think that he and Gio can come to play the chapines, but we'll have to see.

Otherweise, it won't be until next year before we'll see those guys playing with the seleccionados again...when they tour europe next march.

20. raulg_tx

raulg_tx New Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Texas
    Won't this be the first time Guardado plays against Brazil? I think Vela and Gio should come in as subs for the second half. I remember a friendly between Mexico and Brazil a few years ago in Guadalajara where Robinho and Diego made their debut with the Senior Brazilian national team, so it would be nice to see Vela and Gio play against Brazil (tho it wouldn't be Gio's debut).

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  22. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    2 changes actually.
    Guardado didn't play against Brasil in Copa America.
    Ramoncito played.

23. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I remember hearing something about Hugo asking for games during the November FIFA dates (Nov 17-18 and Nov 21), but no luck so far. Unfortunately, the dates coincide with the 2nd repechaje game and the first liguilla game.

If they had rivals, they could still use the dates to check out the U-23 team, call non-repechaje players for the first game (so players on 14 local teams), and non-liguilla players for the second game (players on bottom 10 teams), in addition to Gio and Vela since La Liga will be off.

I usually don't defend Lavolpe, but one thing he insisted on that was good was getting the national team players to practice with him as often as possible. Hugo should push for the same.

24. Tello

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im Leaving now, its a 3 hour trip from NY so its not SOO bad.

Well goodluck guys....ill try to take pictures and post them either later tonight or tomarrow

25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Have a nice trip.