The Official Matthew Hoppe thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 3, 2023.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    There was a Quakes epicenter podcast where they debated the Hoppe signing. One guy- Alex Morgan (no not that Alex Morgan) said it would be the Quakes most impactful signing ever. Not sure if serious or just trying to make it a more interesting podcast. The other guys weren’t sure if he was an upgrade to Benji (well they turned out to be right).

Boysinblue repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe try playing him at forward instead of on the wing.

4. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    His last game was poor, but I’m of the opinion he should get a crack at the 9…and it is still too early to tell how much he can offer the team based on a handful of late game minutes on the wing. He’s clearly a central player…I just get irritated that Luchi rubber stamps Jebo at the 9, even after some pretty poor games where he can’t handle the ball cleanly…and sleepwalks through long stretches of the game. Why bring in players to supposedly compete for the position and not give them a legitimate shot at it.

Give Hoppe a legit shot at the 9

bostero24 and Bajoro repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in a playoff race and losing. How do you give Hoppe a start over Jebo at this time? He certainly hasn't shown that he deserves it in his minutes so far with the Quakes.

I fully agree that we need an option to Jebo (off the bench and period starts), but I don't want to just give a start to the new "shinny object". We need to have done this earlier in the year.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think they should give Jebo a shot at attacking mid, just like with deRo. Jebo has better ball control than a lot of guys on the team.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #307 JazzyJ, Sep 15, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    Too one-footed. Close off his left side and he’s stuck.

mjlee22 and Beerking repped this.
  8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we had a good second striker / "9.5" type of player on the team. For instance, Griezmann has been vocal about wanting to play in MLS - not that he would come to the Quakes but he would be incredible.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I see him as more of a CAM but then I've mostly watched him with the French nats. But yeah, he'd be great obviously.

I think we should consider committing to the 3-5-2 next year, and give Espinoza the 2nd forward spot, but keep things a bit unbalanced on the right side. He'd be 2nd forward but would tend to drift right as well or towards the center with Akapo overlaps (which he does a lot). On a good finishing day he might have had 3 goals against DCU. And then I think he scored against LAFC when we played a 3-5-2 there. He's our best shooter by far - can finish with either foot and with power. He's good on the wing but can be even better a little more central and in front of the goal.

10. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #310 chris thebassplayer, Sep 16, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    You could play Espinoza underneath Jebo and Hoppe in a 3-5-2 or call it a 3-4-3...you could even try Cade instead of Hoppe to stretch the D...that works for me...Espinoza has a great engine...those three up the spine with Marie and Akapo playing to them....instead of Espinoza playing to mostly a single forward in Jebo...makes way too much sense to have a greater presence in and around the box. Having another forward might take some pressure off of Jebo.
    We need to get serious about putting the most threatening players we have closer to goal.

Bottom line we have to play a three back and keep Espinoza playing between and in the channels as a shooting threat and Cade stretching the D with actual speed up the middle or channels to make space for Jebo and Espinoza or Hoppe making those cheeky little slip pass runs.

The attack is killing us...why not cut to the chase and not wait until the last 10 minutes of the games to actually put more central forwards in the game.

Jebo, would be a disaster at ACM...way to loose with the ball and as Jazz says...over play his left and he'd really struggle to get anything done.

Espinoza on the other hand could handle it...and imo, would be a serious threat in combo play, or making his own runs behind the D or shooting. I mean really, who would you rather see at ACM in a
    3-5-2...Espinoza or Montiero....maximum threat vs zero threat...

sacrxy repped this.
  11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Arturo Alvarez? :D

JazzyJ repped this.
  12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what his state of mind is. Going from playing at a high level in Germany to be stuck on the Quakes, the Oakland A's of MLS.

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Honestly, the Quakes wish they had the history of success that the A's had. They are trash now, but they have been good in the recent past and great in the not too distant pass. The Quakes haven't even pretended to be good except once in the last 20 years.

JazzyJ and Earthshaker repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    2010 wasn't bad - lost by a late goal in MLS Cup semifinal, but it's true that on balance, in the last 20 years, the A's had much more success. We should be so lucky.

15. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mistake on my part, I was alluding to the current state of the Oakland A's.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If I recall, the Quakes didn't even have a winning record in 2010, or were just barely over the line. They weren't a good team, the league was just overall worse in every way and making the playoffs was not difficult. And yet the Quakes still almost never managed to do it.

bsman repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We were 13-10-7 for a 1.53 PPG and beat the #1 seed in the east, the Thierry Henry-led NYRB, in their house. We weren’t great but pretty good.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2010 Quakes were tied in points (46) and had more wins (13 to 12) than league champion Colorado Rapids (who were seeded ahead of the Quakes on a goal differential tie breaker). Quakes barely lost to the Rapids in the (Eastern) conference final, 1-0, in freezing temperatures in Colorado.

SalinasQuakesFan and JazzyJ repped this.
  19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Quakes have mostly gone from bad to worse over the past 15 years, fortunately for us we have 2026 to look forward to when the Fisher/Leitch master plan comes to fruition.

bsman repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes are .500 right now, which is something they did not achieve last season and most prior seasons. They have results in two of every three games this year. They have inarguably gone from bad to better.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    if they miss out on the playoffs again this year, 2023 will be seen as a massive failure compounded by 15 years of utter futility. if they squeak into the playoffs only to be bounced in the first game, it will be almost as bad.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You said, "Quakes have mostly gone from bad to worse over the past 15 years," which is false (as I demonstrated above), and remains false even if the 2023 Quakes don't qualify for the playoffs or are eliminated in the first playoff match.

23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    seems like we were better in 2012...good even, until we faced 3 quality DP's and crashed out of the playoffs. feels like it's been all downhill from there, if you look at the big picture, new coach bump(s) notwithstanding.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Feels" ain't facts.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We were 3-1-1 against that team with “3 quality DP’s” that year.

SeaJayBee repped this.