The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2076 falvo, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    It was really thrilling that I got a chance to meet and speak with Almeyda today at the meet and greet luncheon!

We spoke about La Liga , Serie A and of course MLS. I talked to him in both Italian and Spanish about his incredible goal he scored against Gigi Buffon!

He said yeah it was great but too bad he only scored a few times in his playing career.

He is nice man and a great coach! Knows the game inside and out!

Beerking, Boysinblue, SeaJayBee and 5 others repped this.
  2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Shocking!

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Shocking that he's a nice guy?

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Shocking he knows the game inside and out. His predecessor certainly did not.

Beerking repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The underlying item to note here is that every article talks about the time to ramp up players which ultimately means anyone we get after the season starts are basically useless for the season.

Right now we are depending on Rios, Fierro and whoever shows up from the Academy as bench players

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I’m worried about Yueill who’s going to miss preseason. I don’t believe the US camp is going to get him into the same fitness level. Also he’s missing the bonding time.

Problem is we absolutely need him in the center.

Beerking repped this.
  9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's had a year to know exactly what is needed and he's a professional that didn't have a problem keeping up in his role last year. I would be surprised and disappointed if he didn't keep himself in shape in the off season.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Shea said all the players did much better in the beep and strength tests due to off season work outs. I doubt Yueill missed out on that. He knows what Almeyda expects. And he'll be back with the Quakes well before the season starts.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2086 falvo, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    National team training methods and regimens are pretty intense. I've always retained club ball is a lot more entertaining than any national team game and I think teams play better together a the club and league level but as far as training and fitness is concerned, I don't think Yueill will lose that much.

In regards to fitness, from what I saw the other day, the players are very fit and could start playing right now. Whether they are fit enough to win off the bat remains to be seen.

Quakes counting on continuity to lead them to success in 2020

[​IMG]

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I don’t know. Lima missed Cancun last year and it seemed like he never really fit in well after that.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there some rule that every player will adapt in exactly the same way? And Lima was asked to play his position differently with Berhalter than he did with Almeyda. And Yueill has the advantage of already been indoctrinated into Almeyda's system.

markmcf8, Boysinblue and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  14. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Well I can understand why he’s with the National team - that’s important for him and I don’t think he made the wrong decision, but as a Quakes fan I think he’s missing out not being in Cancun.

Stupid camp cupcake.

Beerking repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it would be better to have him in camp, but, I wish him well in his Nats career.

Beerking, markmcf8 and MtnGardener repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some players need time to adapt to a certain system or coaching tactic and some adapt right away. Lima and Jackson though are not the same type of player and have different characteristics. One is an overlapping defender down the wing and the other works every facet of the midfield. They aren't really the same in style, strength or stamina.

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Seems totally different to me. Lima had no idea what Almeyda wanted from him, Almeyda had no idea what Lima had to offer. All this while every other player was also coming up to speed to the Almeyda system.

In Yueill's case this year, he already know what Almeyda wants, and Almeyda knows what he can do. And all the players around him know the system too.

Yueill may possibly miss out on whatever 'tune-up' or tweaks to the system that Almeyda puts in at the early part of this preseason camp. For all we know that could be none. But in any case, a tweak to a system is way easier to catch up too than learning a whole new system of play.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I actually am glad that Lima will be there for preseason. It will give Almeyda the chance to try him at a mid/wing position instead of wasting him on the bench backing up the left back position.

markmcf8 and MtnGardener repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Problem is, we don't know if he fit in before that. Lima's performances have been all over the map. I'd argue they've been more negative than positive even going back to his first year under Kinnear. Missing the preseason training with the Quakes certainly didn't help him, but I have a feeling it was less an issue than other factors.

That said, I'm not happy about any player missing time with the Quakes, especially if it's for national team duty. I think the instruction the guys are getting under Berhalter is significantly lower in quality and, in many cases, will totally be contradicted by what Almeyda wants and expects. Almeyda is extremely generous with his words on the opportunities the players are getting, but I do wonder if he's privately frustrated by it. If it were me, I'd be fuming.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's cool, all right, but nobody will ever be as cool as this guy:

upload_2020-1-29_13-7-1.jpeg

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not afraid to ride one, that's why he is so cool. ;)

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The lg creek trail on the way to Vasona is black. I run it every weekend.

If this is a recent picture it must be in Cancun- he’s probably going to the training field.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.