The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3626 falvo, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    John Doyle said it 10-12 years ago I believe it was.

"We are always going to be a blue collar team and sign cheaper players".

Nothing has changed since then.....

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    except that we're actually getting worse as teams around us are getting better. Quakes are in 'austerity mode' after being really poor for as long as anyone can remember. San Jose is that one little corner of MLS where time has stood still, we weren't signing great players back when Beckham changed the game, we're still scrambling around for a way to do this as cheaply as possible. Chivas USA part II is just the latest installment of "The Fish Way, dragging MLS down since 2008."

Sactown Soccer and markmcf8 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly because the league is much toucher now than it was in 2010 & 2012.

If this were Argentina , Mexico or even any mid level or bottom club team in Europe, I’m pretty sure Almeyda would be out of a job.

In a way he is lucky to be in MLS and have Fisher, Fioranelli and maybe many of the players on his side.

Quakes05 repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hypothetically, if either Sir Alex or José Mourinho were to be in charge of the Quakes , coaching JT, Rios , Espinoza and Fierro, what do you possible think the results would be?

I’m not saying Almeyda doesn’t share in the blame but seriously, how would a coach magically make these players better? What tactic can possibly change the direction of this team?

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, neither Alex nor José would have been stupid enough to sign the crappy players that Almeyda has brought it.

Second, they’d play a more conservative style of futbol until they got it together.

Third, they would respect the league, because it’s the league we play in, and because the other teams in this league kick our sorry butts on a regular basis.

Honestly, the coach should change us to a zone defense, maybe play a four-three-three. Focus on not giving up goals and try to steal one on a counter or even long ball to the three forwards. Something like this.

- - - - - - - - - - - Wondo
    Benji - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Cade
    - - - - - - - - - - - Jackson
    - - Remedi- - - - - - - - - - - - - Judson
    Lopez - - - Beason - - Flo - - - - Luchi
    - - - - - - - - - - - JT

This leaves us with firepower on the bench. We let the three forwards float, Wondo isn’t always tip of the spear. We bring on Haji as a forward sub, maybe even TT as a forward sub. The three middies focus on defense, when they get the ball, they look for one of the forwards. Once in a while, Jackson or Remedi goes forward. All four defenders stay at home until we get some rational summer reinforcements.

It’s not rocket science, it’s freaking futbol. We play in a league with a lot of parity. So why do we suck year after year?

Almeyda brought in a lot of our crappy players, he doesn’t have either the acumen or integrity to admit that they suck, and he insists on playing a style that is not suited to the guys that we have.

Yeah, a different coach could do better with this bunch.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3631 falvo, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    I don't think so as I see very little talent across the roster.

A lot of them are also Almeyda’s players and should know how to play in his system as they use to play for him but they can’t.

If they can’t play for a coach they know and vice versa, I doubt they would do better with a different manager.

JT has no business being a starting GK.

Flo has solid performances at times then gets lost and is too slow.

Beason doesn't strike me as being a dominant defender either and Marie gets burned.

I see little postives from Chofis , Fierro, Rios, Alanis and Remedi, other than a few flashes of being average.

Judson was good last year and lost it. Not sure if he is out of shape or what but he isn’t the same player.

Espinoza is good but is all flash and can't shoot for a hill of beans! Not a DP by any means.

Chris Wondolowski and Shea Salinas are still good but they are both too old to carry the team. They also can't play off the bench because they've been starters forever and its not their game.

Cade Cowell is asked to do too much and he can't as he has no expereince to do what they want. He has the build but is still only 17 years of age and not ready to be a full fledged starter.

Haji is on a GA contract , doesn’t count against the cap but other than speed, he also doesn't impress me at all.

Jackson Yueill is the only bright spot in my opinion but even he gets lost.

If the special one , Mou came in and played a 4-3-3 and zone, I don't see how we would win more games than we currently have.

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sacrxy and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds like the beginning of the end...

Maybe Wondo will be named player coach?

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'd be very surprised if he stepped down midseason. If he did, I think it would be more related to family / personal issues, not him being unwilling to take on the soccer challenge. I do think there's a decent chance he'll leave after the season though.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unless he has something else lined up.

Just like they wanted from Chile , I am not sure if the Quakes will be owed compensation if he goes soehwere else....

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Just don't see him bailing midseason on his team. Yes, I would assume the Quakes would be owed compensation for an early break of his contract.

TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He didn’t sound like he wants to continue in the press conference.

He didn’t say that exactly but from what I interpreted , he sounds like he is fed up and on his way out....

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    As I've posted before, he's said similar things in the past. He gets frustrated sometimes. He gets over it. Maybe this time is different, but I doubt it.

Sactown Soccer and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ya but it’s his third year and I don’t think he sees improvement. I don’t foresee it either at least not with this roster. They just aren’t that good.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think there's a reasonable chance he'll leave at the end of the year, but again, I doubt he'd bail midseason unless he's having a hard time with personal / family stuff.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    His leaving in the middle of the season would be pretty destabilizing. Usually when a coach goes, one of the assistant coaches take over. With Almeyda’s staff, I think they all go with him. That’s likely to mean Jesse turns the team over to U20 coach Alex Covelo (my nightmare scenario).

17. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guy seems spoiled. When things don't go his way, he has tantrums.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3643 falvo, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    When I met Alex Covelo , he seemed like a nice guy and knowledge about the game.

He also speaks 3-4 languages including English which is something Almeyda after 3 years still can't do. I’m not sure how good of a coach he would be....

Sometimes, no names make the best coaches…..

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Almeyda might also be afraid of not gaining another job elsewhere right away.

He can probably get one on his career as a top midfielder but if he can’t win as a coach in MLS, that’s not too inviting for clubs abroad.

20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that's the dilemma for any Quakes coach. maybe he didn't do his homework before signing his multi-year contract. how many coaches have tried and failed in San Jose? all of them. the investment, support and organizational drive is just not there for any coach to succeed. not his fault really but it will still reflect poorly on his resume.

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda might do just fine with a club that is willing to spend a little money..............

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don’t think internationally people care all that much about MLS results. And besides he’s already prepping the narrative that he’s essentially putting the team together with pub league guys and yet made the playoffs 2nd year. His record with the Quakes will be largely a non-issue. In fact regardless of results it may be seen as a positive that he stayed 3 years or whatever.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Like nearly $1 million each for his friends - Chofis, Rios, Fierro, and Alanís? That kind of “little money”?

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Those guys shouldn’t be getting that amount.

I read Vega was making $250k as a backup GK.

Thinking it over , these guys are lucky to be making this money because $1million in either Argentina or Mexico will last two lifetimes.

Just like Innocent putting his money in a Swiss bank account, he is set for life because of his Quakes salary....

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little more than that. ;)