The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Mexican sporting press is almost as fact-based and accurate as The National Enquirer...

Beckham7 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda finally has his first talks with Monterrey. That’s a very loose translation, but it’s what the article says.

So the Mexican press have been carrying on about this for more than a week and the first talks just now went down? I supposed Monterrey could have been talking to Almeyda’s agent. I saw somewhere that Monterrey have opened discussions with the Quakes too. They might actually be serious about this. Also, Monterrey are filthy rich and can easily afford to buy Almeyda’s contract, and all of his coaches, and probably Pizzaro and Pulido with their pocket change. The real question is whether Pulido or Pizzaro want to leave their current teams.

I really, really, really hope that they buy him out!! And soon, like this week!!! So that we at least have a shot at getting Ian Russell.

Damnit!

Go Quakes!!
    Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #2953 Quakes05, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Indeed, Ian Russell will save us, he will surely succeed where Coach Almeyda has failed! And Jesse is about the have a big, beautiful off season full of amazing signings! :rolleyes:

I will be disappointed if he leaves. He’s had the team playing well and he’s given it his best. But he’s smart and ambitious, he understands that the level of investment just isn’t there for this team to succeed.

He doesn’t want another season where making the playoffs for a one and done is the best he can possibly hope for.

It will be a shame if he leaves but also understandable given the hopeless nature of Fishball.

Beerking and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  4. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Russell would be a silver lining if Almeyda leaves, but does anybody really think Jesse would hire him?

5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    And all the players who Matias brought in, and the system that the team has spent the last two years trying to adapt to, and never ending coach-churn yielding exactly the same results year after year? Give Matias a competitive roster to work with, he will be fine. Believe me, coaching is not our problem.

Goodsport and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I had a dream that I riding a train, and happened to get into a conversation with Matias, who somehow was on the same train. He was clearly very troubled about the decision, but didn't tell me which direction he was leaning. I will have to wait for the next dream I guess.

Quakes05, bsman, Goodsport and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you two conversing in English, in Spanish or in some other completely different language? :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Matías is that he has our guys playing a system to which they are not suited. This suggests that we will never have sustained success with Matías at the helm because our guys are not cut out for his system.

What we need is a more pragmatic coach (and GM) who can do better with the guys that we have, and or similar guys because we aren’t going to run out and sign Vela or Ruidiaz or Lodiero or anyone like that. We’ll get dudes like Espinosa, who is really good. And we’ll grow our own like Cade, who shows real promise. But we need a system that doesn’t require super fast defenders because we don’t have them and we can’t afford them.

And Matías is a stubborn bastard. He wants to play his system, and he thinks he can win with it, but we don’t have the horses to make it go. So it’s not going to work. We’ve had two years to watch this, and we can see that this path does not lead to consistent success.

We can do better with the resources we have, but that’s going to mean ditching Almeyda and maybe Jesse too. (I know, Jesse just signed a new contract, which is part of what convinces me that Fisher doesn’t give a Fish how terrible we are.)

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

bobby_guzman repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    All those billboards with Matias Almeyda on them - I guess the Quakes will replace them with Ian Russel billboards? Hahahah.

You loved the South American Coach of the Year - now get ready for the USL coach of the year! And we promise to sign out of contract MLS players!!! And for those fans who love Mexican superstars you will absolutely love it when LAFC and LAG come to town!!!! Watch as Carlos Vela tries to penetrate our parked bus!!! What are you waiting for? Get your season tickets now before it's too late!!!

No way does Fisher let MA walk out the door without a fight. He's got two years on his contract and he's the best thing the Quakes have.

Quakes05 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Matias, let's calm down. Ian never coached the parked bus and your pulling shit out of your ass at this point. Your trying to hype it up saying it's drama blah blah blah. Gtfo coaches get fired and leave before their contracts are up all the time. Anyone who needs time to assess if they are coming back or not in the middle of a contract automatically throws up the my heart's notnfully here flag so he can gtfo with you. We are just as bad as the Clash years which you'vr forgotten about. Points wise we finished worse this year then last, we are still 15th or 16th worst team in the league. If you think our nice little run at the end of the year is improvement ovrr getting our ass kicked every game, then your easily entertained. Over the long haul we are inconsistent and we CANT win out side of our shit hole of a stadium.

Show me where we've improved? These hot young prospects ready to be sold? He subs just as bad as every previous coach. His texts haven't been adjusted, teams figure out how to snipe us and that's why we get iced every time I'm the 2nd half.

Your big mouth keeps saying spend money spend money, but haven't suggested one player who could improve us realistically.

I'd rather have Greg Vanney who just left TFC. He's a proven winning coach.

Also your gripe is using coaches who are unknowns. Jason Kreis, Jesse Marsch, Frank Yallop, Jim Curtin, Caleb Porter, and many others had no experience prior and have had some very very good teams. I have no doubts Ian would do fine.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  11. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bobby_guzman and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bobby_guzman and mjlee22 repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Many of MLS's most successful coaches have been MLS guys, with USL coaching experience in some cases: Vermes, Schmetzer, Vanney, Curtin, etc. We should not think that we need a "foreign" coach in order to be successful, or to play "attractive" soccer.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Missed the point.

15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Missed the point.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your points make no sense other then your morbid fetish for Almeyda and his bushido bukakke.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    No, I got your point. But when you start talking about "parked bus", you are not fairly evaluating the capability of MLSy coaches to coach successful, and highly watchable teams. And besides, my implied point is that there is a certain amount of marketability in just having a winning team year after year. Ask SKC. Ask Seattle Sounders FC.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Scott also blew the point by not acknowledging that Reno was the highest scoring USL team over the past 4 years. To make a statement like “Ian Russell would coach boring defensive soccer by parking the bus” means he doesn’t really know how Russell coaches.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  19. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Given our current roster I have serious doubts that Ian would not succumb to the pressure of playing overly defensive.

Anyway - most likely a moot point unless the Quakes can somehow retain him for the next couple years.

20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever even seen a Reno game? The way you speak about Ian and the way he coaches is indicative you have 0 idea about the way Reno plays under Ian. He's had to structure a new roster basically every seasons, and some how they continue to dominate and be the highest scoring USL team. When he was an assistant coach, many people here know he was limited under coaches to use explosive offensive tactics, but he was hand-locked in a conservative coaching environment.

To say MLS/American coaches park the bus shows your great ignorance to soccer and the MLS. As Jazzy said, SKC, Seattle, LAFC, TFC, and previously Red Bull New York, and now Dallas, Revolution, formerly the Galaxy, Crew and others play very attractive soccer and find ways to score a lot of goals and win.

This fancy of 'International Coaches' are almost required to play attractive soccer is such bull shit and a fallacy.

Ian could get more out of the Quakes roster and use an actual high press, which I've explained the high press before, we don't play that. We play a man-marking system which we do NOT have the personal for it. 2 adjustments into a 4-1-3-1-1 or even a 3-2-3-1-1

Rios
    Thompson
    Fiero, Yuiell, Espinoza
    Judson
    Lopez, Alanis, Lima
    GK

or
    Striker
    Thompson
    Fiero, Rios, Espinoza
    Judson, Yueill
    Lopez, Alanis, Lima
    Would allow us to press the right way, ideally with the 2 D-Mids you could allow for a slower Alanis. The simple adjustments would allow the high press, and allow Thompson to roam free, exploit his abilities and not play so conservative which makes him a boring ass useless player. His ability to hold the ball up and distribute while getting back into an open space for a layoff is what he needs to be doing, not man marking and playing the ball 3 fcuking yards like he does. He can change the point of attack almost perfectly. He isn't Beckham, but he could be one of the best play makers in MLS. Almeyda is an idiot and doesn't realize that.

Again I ask, you want us to spend more money, so with that, exactly WHO would we spend money on? Fisher doesn't recruit thats Almeyda and Fioranelli's job and so far its been pretty piss ass.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Ian Russell had a plus 97 goal differential in 4 years at Reno. Matias Almeyda has a minus 19 in two years in San Jose. Do you find it surprising that some fans think Ian would be successful in San Jose?

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But could at least some of that also be attributed to the level of opposition each team faces? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

23. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    No, I don't find it surprising and I will never criticize anyone for thinking so. My feeling is that there is a big risk that the success won't translate to MLS and the play style will become more defensive - which I don't like.

I enjoy sharing ideas and discussions with most of you, I make an effort not to criticize people or get personal because I don't like that done to me. Although I'm replying to you Jeff this is not about you, but overall I'm not enjoying the experience here on BS.

It will be no loss to BS (and many of you will be happy) but I will go into 'lurker' mode for a while (at least I'll try :)).

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If I’m coming off too aggressive I apologize to you. I know how great of a Quakes fan you are and you absolutely deserve to have your point of view.

This is a discussion board and I like to exchange ideas. I’m not interested in bullying you or anyone else into lurker mode.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Chris Leitch had a similar roster, in fact many of the same players, but no Espinoza. And he played pretty aggressively. It was hit and miss but so has it been with Matias. So I’m open-minded about what Ian might do if he were to ever get the job.

Sactown Soccer and Kaitlyn repped this.