The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Forget about transcending a bad team. Magnus was so bad in 2018 that he made a bad team worse.

Almost everyone played better under Almeyda than they did for Stahre. But some played better under Leitch than they did for Almeyda: Lima, Flo, TT, Hoesen, and possibly Vako, off the top of my head.

2. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I'll give you Lima.

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Flo has struggled at times in Almeyda's system, but was nails in 2017. Hoesen was more productive in 2017 and 2018, and has more or less fallen off the map for Almeyda, and it's not just because of injuries. People think that TT was a "revelation" at RB in 2019, but he was better as a midfielder in 2017 under Leitch. Vako was very productive in fairly limited minutes in 2017. He's been very hot and cold in Almeyda's world. To be fair we need more data on him in 2017, but that latter half of 2017 was his most productive time with the Quakes.

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Hoesen nearly matched his 2017 production in 2019 even though he had less minutes. He's been dealing with injuries off and on though and I think it's been impacting him.

When Vako entered the league he wasn't double teamed. His production dropped off once teams got wise to him. However under MA Vako runs a lot more and he's actually pretty good at defense (who knew?). I think it's a shame he missed so much of 2020 because I think he would have had a good year. This is a bad time to make a prediction because we'll know in days - but I think he's gone.

TT matched his 2017 goals/assists in 2020 even though he moved to a defensive position. I think we got a lot out of him this year as he was able to play both left and right back. His versatility is what makes him so valuable and that has only increased. I agree that defensive positions don't seem like his best spots but I think that's where he was needed most.

Florian's problem is that he's not as fast as he thinks he is. You might be right on Flo - I think he's just as good at defending as he's always been (just ask Zlatan), but anytime he has to chase down Morris it doesn't go well to say the least.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2930 JazzyJ, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Vako was always better at defense than people made him out to be. The fact is he lost his job at one point to Shea Salinas (!) under Almeyda, and may have lost it again to Fierro. Not good.

TT played really well in midfield under Leitch, made Team of the Week at least once, had some additional assists in USOC, including 2 to Wondo against LAG, etc. As a right back, or left back, he's done an impressive job at those positions but he is susceptible to getting beat with speed, and that leads to dangerous attacks from the opposition. Plus now he is very reluctant to attack. He'll really only do it if he has the ball in the final 3rd. Otherwise, he's very, very conservative with the ball. He played a lot freer and easier under Leitch as a mid. I think if you went back and watched some of those games you'd be surprised. Looks like a different player.

Almeyda tried to play Hoesen at left mid to open the season and it did not go well. So he fell out of the starting lineup and has had a hard time getting minutes this year. He's regressed.

Kaitlyn, bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Improving from 4 wins would have happened regardless... And we are right back to where we were pre Starhe 15th and 16th place overall in the table... We haven't improved dingdong.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even I agree with JJ about TT. He was A LOT better as a midfielder and played with more fluidity. He's regressed under Almedya which is my BIGGEST complaint to him sucking. If he was allowed to play a false 9 or even the 10 I would bet he'd have 7-10 assists and 1-3 goals. But his link play and tempo controlling in the midfield would make the team better. Almedya likes him, but has missused his talents and he's been the exiled one every time under him. Not good. He's FAR better then Rios at the position.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think part of why TT doesn’t play as well now is the fact he has changed his style of play. He use to be a Tasmanian Devil kind of guy that went balls to the wall as long as his engine would last (which was about 50-60 minutes). Now you see him pacing himself to last 90 minutes plus and that means he turns down the volume on his performance.

I think when he is rocketing around the field he can be one of the best on any given day.

Kaitlyn, bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree full. He's almost a shell of his former self. I'm a big critic of Thompson, but I think he was better pre Almedya as you said he's changed his style and it's degressed him.

Thompson was very compareable to a young Dario Brose.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I liked Brose a lot, but he got physically overwhelmed. I wonder if the same will happen to Gilbert Fuentes.

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Fuentes won't be on our team within the next 3 seasons. He seems like a guy they don't have much faith in, and he will be expendable if he isn't already.

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    There's only 11 positions on the field so the coach does need to make the difficult decision of who gets to play. It doesn't mean that someone has regressed if they miss a starting spot. It could mean the coach just wants to go in a different direction or someone else has improved enough to win the spot. Having competition for starting spots is ideal.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well he couldn’t unseat a 38-year old or Rios for minutes, even for sub minutes most of the time. And he has looked quite bad when he’s played this year. Not good.

Beerking repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It's not that i want Almeyda fired necessarilly but i have no patience fot his mythical "4 year plan" whatever that is.

bobby_guzman and QuakeAttack repped this.
  15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll be on year 3 of said plan so I don't think there needs to be any more waiting... there better be a HUGE return next year.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, huge being make the playoffs. Right?:D

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had better be a dominant team, one of the top four in our conference. Anything less is grounds for firing.

The problem with my analysis is that Fisher doesn’t give a fish whether we suck or not, so we could finish bottom of the table and he wouldn’t care. Maybe he wants us in the hunt for a playoff spot, but he’d be cool with us just missing or just making the playoffs.

I am convinced that what we need to do, right now, is tell Almeyda to take the gig in Monterrey and then hire Ian Russell before some other team snatches Ian away from us. Ian will be a lot cheaper that El Pelado, and he’ll be at least as likely to do well as Matías.

We suck.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If Jesse and Covelo were let go and Chris Leitch was given the GM job to assist Russell in reshaping the roster, I’m 100% convinced the team finishes higher than 16th in MLS (which they did this year).

My worry about Jesse staying at GM is he’s likely to think he’s smarter than Russell and give him a bunch of international guys that would struggle making the adjustment to MLS.

Only Espinoza looked real good his first year. Flo was okay in year one, as was Vako.

Guys like Judson, Lopez and to a lessor extent, Magnus and Fierro looked good enough in year 2.

That’s why I’m not really sure that Almeyda will be able to do better next season. Even if Jesse turns over a big chunk of the roster, there could be adjustment pains for the new guys.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  19. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This

20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some article somewhere says Almeyda will take the job if Monterrey sign Pizzaro and Alan Pulido. I wonder how annoyed Almeyda is that the Quakes didn't win the bidding for Pulido.

bobby_guzman, TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not sure that Pizzaro / Pulido thing passes the smell test. How's that going to work? These guys have contracts with other teams right? Are they going to promise that they'll acquire them while signing Almeyda, w/o knowing if they can really succeed? Promise to "try"? Or is he going to wait possibly weeks or months to see if they are signed before signing himself? I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm not sure it makes sense.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    They can have him for 5 million and you're right, we'll just be tripping over ourselves to spend that money on top shelf players...Muhahaha..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bobby_guzman, Kaitlyn and bsman repped this.