The Official Marvell Wynne thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 24, 2015.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Marvell’s employer is MLS. He just happens to work in the SJ field office.

Perhaps there is an opportunity for Wynne to gain employment post playing career in MLS. Might be career suicide to battle for this money and be blackballed from future opportunities. Johnny Moore can tell you that MLS is pretty unforgiving

2. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    His employment required him to be located in CA. Therefore CA employment law applies.

3. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS employees are not at will, they are under contract. So general CA employment law does not apply, the Standard Player Agreement does.

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about it, but i'm allergic to cats

5. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would seem to that if it's true that the doctor hired by MLS won't clear him, then they have to terminate his contract and let him move on. They're would be too much liability if he played and something bad happened. But if they keep him under contract, then they should pay him. They can't have it both ways. Seems like Marvel needs a lawyer.

hc897 and mjlee22 repped this.
  6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS players have a union. That's who should pursue a grievance if anything here is actually a violation.

7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the MLSPU ever advocated for anything successfully for any player?
    Didn't Eddie Johnson take 2 years to resolve his heart-related retirement from MLS? I'll bet he had to do that outside the MLSPU...

8. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's not the procedure. The contract states that a player who is not new to the team or league and who is not "fit" will be suspended without pay (but with continuing medical coverage). The contract can only be unilaterally terminated if the player is new to the league. Also, the player can challenge the league doctor by hiring his own. Marvell did that, but his doctor wouldn't clear him either. At that point, he was in limbo. There are no further contractual obligations for either party beyond the league continuing to provide medical coverage under the suspended contract. Still, that doesn't mean the league shouldn't do SOMETHING. And Marvell is completely free to ask for the contract to be terminated. Obviously he doesn't want that, he wants to play, but that requires him to be declared "fit", and he does have that opportunity during the upcoming start of season physicals. So I'm guessing that's why he is still hanging around absent another venue for resolution.

markmcf8, DotMPP and FUAEG repped this.
  9. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification. I bow to your superior knowledge.

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope we end up with a win-wynne solution.

That would be marvellous.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the quakes website Marvell is listed on the roster....mls, pay the man his money !

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes website has never been known for its up-to-dated-ness. (not that I disagree with your sentiments.)

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marvell Wynne's career remains in limbo, though Earthquakes continue to back him

As a club under the MLS expanding umbrella, the Earthquakes structurally have no choice but to obey the commands from the league office, and yet remain supportive of a player who has played more than 25,000 minutes in his MLS career.​

Dude is on the wrong side of 30, had a heart defect, major surgery, and hasn't played a game in well over a year, if the Quakes really support him move him out of this player-who-can't-play limbo and give him a job elsewhere in the organization.

17. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think he wants to play even if it's USL or even lower. They could give him a job but it won't be at his player salary.

18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    He is a classy guy, and was a great contributor to the Quakes, I agree a "pathetic" end to his MLS career.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    mjlee22 repped this.
  21. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Lest we forget, this is a business. Still, Marvell deserves better.

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #147 TyffaneeSue, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    No one's forgotten that this is a business. But it's piss poor management that treats its employees so cruelly. If that approach worked in most of the business world, you'd see more companies using it instead of offering free meals, dry cleaning, stock options, onsite childcare. MLS is a monopoly so they can get away with a lot of counterproductive behavior, but it's a corrupt system and maybe not viable long-term.

Added:
    As if to corroborate my comments, an appropriate email appeared just after I posted this. "The companies with the brightest future are those that strive, every day, to be a great place to work. Inc. wants to recognize successful small- and mid-sized businesses that value company culture, offer standout worker benefits, and prioritize employee well-being." Don't think MLS will be on that list!

mjlee22, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  23. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS as an organization is just sad...SAD.

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You must have only had some cushy jobs if you think people generally get treated better in other industries. Most of us have to fight against our employers every single day for fair treatment.

bobby_guzman and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  25. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is not a single company here where I live that offers any of those. Well maybe "stock options" in that they automatically put your 401 match into the company stock