The Official Marcos Lopez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How come? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause he's not very good. This is good for the Quakes... force MA to play Nick.

3. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally on the same page, same thread

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets all remember its PERU! Not Costa Rica or anything worth while.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A post from a year ago?

Aug 25, 2019

Look how things have changed since then!

[​IMG]

6. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even a huge Lopez defender, I thought his defending was garbage last season and in recent games he's improved his defending (still not good but noticeable) and looks at the very least backup quality, hit a couple of really good passes too. I'm not sure how someone can watch him play last season when his defending was terrible, say he looks like a veteran, then come back say he's not even Peru national team quality, it blows my mind.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #82 falvo, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Just because I thought he was a good player for a few games last year doesn't mean anything. A lot of players around the world play great for their clubs one year and crappy the next and sometimes can even get their clubs relegated the next season for the way they declined their game.

Also, a good club player is one thing but a national team quality player is a different level. Either way, he is neither currently and is not an in form to be picked for national team duty in my opinion. I don't know Peru's depth chart though so I can't judge their other players....

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #84 falvo, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Unless something has changed recently, per FIFA rules , I don’t think a club can block a player from playing in a qualifier if he gets picked for national team duty. Only friendlies. They changed that in the mid 90’s I believe.

Seismothusiast repped this.
  10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he even allowed to leave the country with covid? If he goes and comes back isn't there a 14 day quarentine requirement upon arrival back here?

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he may have a green card or work permit but since Covid , things may have changed for re-entering the country.

12. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think the biggest problem is the re-entry. The players will go away for about 10 days, and then take another 14 days for quarantine. Important players will be away from their club for nearly a whole month.

Also, there's another set of games in south america for November (rounds 3 & 4). MLS has good reason to not let players go: they could possibly miss the rest of their club season if they're called for November as well. It's something FIFA needs to get settled and work out a good compromise.

13. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope we don't try to block his participation with Peru. Imo,That would be really dumbass. Lopez is a young natural lefty with solid potential. In this abbreviated compressed toss off season we have nothing to gain by keeping him around. We have everything to lose from a relationship perspective by keeping him tied to this crap going nowhere situation. Getting the opportunity to play for your national team is a big huge for players. Even if he misses a ton of time with the Quakes. It could go a long way with his relationship with the club if he is allowed to go.

SalinasQuakesFan and bsman repped this.
  14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they don't let him go for covid based reasons, travel restrictions among other things the club should 100% not let him go. He's a club investment, and if your investment misses the rest of the season for 10 days of travel per say, then he returns and has 14 more for quarantine it's not worth it.

Players clubs reject national team call ups, players reject them, all the time.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Marcos Lopez scored a beauty last night against the Gals! Still not sure if he is good enough to start for Peru but I’m not familiar with their depth. He is turning 21 next month so I’m sure he can still grow and improve as a defender but his goal was striking! Making it against the LAG, makes it that much sweeter!

• 42’ — SJ — Marcos Lopez | WATCH

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To me, his goal last night was rather reminiscent of Cowell's goal in the earlier game vs the Filth (interesting they both got their first goals in a California Classico!) Really - almost indistinguishable

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’ve been saying for a while that he’s better attacking than defending. Get a left back to play behind him when Vako leaves.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when we signed him it was mentioned he had some time at left midfield.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Right after he signed, he was selected to the full national team to play against Germany in a friendly in Germany. He came off the bench to play left midfield and was beating Germans off the dribble and attacking like a stud. His highlight package from Crystal shows a guy making lots of strong runs from the midfield and scoring goals and passing for nice assists.

bsman repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #95 JazzyJ, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    It's quite possible that he'd be better as an outside mid. Would like to see it sometime. He remains a bit of a puzzle to me in terms of his style of play. He is strongly left-footed, yet rarely makes wide left runs, and rarely hits a cross from a wide position. He always wants to cut in, and then sort of pauses. I guess he's looking to thread a pass. If he's going to cut in and shoot, he options are limited from the left side. That goal he scored against the Gals - he hit it at the perfect angle / placement, but that's a pretty low percentage shot for a lefty - far post when the ball is naturally arching in a way that would make it easier for a GK to swat it. If he's going to play like an inverted winger, as he's been doing, he'd be better off on the right side.

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just read Ruidiaz has to quarantine 14 days in Peru, then has to do a mandatory 14 days in the US, he will miss the remainder of the MLS season most likely, could be back for the playoffs.

Lopez, Vako and Kashia will also have to regardless quarantine the 14 days upon arrival back in the States. Not sure how many games we could potentially lose them.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #97 falvo, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Heck even if Cade ends up playing for their B team
    it would be an honor and will improve his game.

Ronnie Ekelund A former Quakes player, at 21 years of age played 1 game for Barcelona but mostly played for their ‘B’ team....

Ronnie once said while playing for the San Jose Oaks over 35 team I believe it was , that ‘he learned a lot at Barca from Johann Cruyff‘. Supposedly , Ronnie was running all over the field and Johann came over to him and told him you are running too much and you don’t have to do that.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999