The Official Marcos Lopez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, your'e basing your opinion on one little snippet of a video? That highlight video earlier in the thread shows him on the left. I am going to believe that and everything I have read about him.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah but that video was shot in the southern hemisphere

markmcf8, MtnGardener and bsman repped this.
  3. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's been said that he is more a left winger. That makes sense for a left winger to switch to the right and try to dribble into the box. A left back?

That is my doubt. He is probably more a left winger, not a left back. I am concerned that he is not the solution to our long standing left back issue, and we again play someone out of position.

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, if he does not end up playing as a left back we have not addressed our problem there. He has played all three positions on the left. With his penchant for going forward Almeyda may use him as a wingback.

markmcf8 and Boysinblue repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know when he leaves? And which games he will miss?

Go Quakes!!
    Ut oh!

- Mark

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you put the little arrow over what Goodsport wrote and you click the button on the doohickey mouse thing, up pops an article that you can read. Here is what part of it says, " San Jose Earthquakes defender Marcos López has been called to the Peru National Team for their upcoming friendlies against Paraguay and El Salvador on March 22 and March 26, respectively. At 19 years old, Lopez is the youngest player to be called by head coach Ricardo Gareca..
    After learning that info you can then surf over to the Quakes website and check their schedule, which shows MLS games on March 16 and March 30th, sandwiching a friendly against Monterrey on March 23rd.
    Using the powers of deductive reasoning you will likely ascertain that there is an international break at that time and that he will more than likely not miss any MLS games, but, will miss the Monterrey game.:thumbsup:

due time and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I could and did do those things. But do we know when he's supposed to report to camp? He might leave early? Looks like not, but the lack of direct information is weak.

Thanks for the snark though! :thumbsup:

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Marcos was not named to Peru’s Copa America team. Perhaps that will motivate him to step it up in SJ.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Has Lopez played yet for the Quakes? I don’t remember seeing him kick a ball this season...

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    GP GS G MINS A SHTS SOG FC OFF Y R
    6 4 0 349 0 3 1 7 0 2 1

EDIT: i don't know how to format this correctly

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He stunk it up early on and got benched. He was supposed to be our natural left-back, but Tommy beat our Lima, and Lima got won the LB spot when Shea moved back into the midfield. In fairness lots of people stunk it up in March. I bet he's better than those early appearances, and didn't think he looked bad last night.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lopez looked ok last night but he wasn’t in the game that long.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I watched Marcos López closely last night in the 3-1 win against Vancouver and I keep thinking he is a veteran player. Then I looked him up and saw that he is only 19. He may have a lot to learn but he is actually a very good player and is playing above his head for his age.

don gagliardi repped this.
  15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I kind of hate to say this, but the Quakes best form as a team coincided with Lima being away at the Gold Cup. Even though TT and Lopez may not be among the best in MLS defensively, there is no doubt they help the team push forward to create a barrage of shots. Perhaps Lima’s role should be just like Salinas and come off the bench as a high energy sub.

hc897 repped this.
  16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd forgotten that Lopez was not a natural defender, either, which explains a lot. I think his ability to get forward is maybe the best of the three (Lima, Thompson, and Lopez). Unfortunately, he's prone to making technical mistakes like errant passes and the like. If he can improve that, he could be a revelation. His defending already seems about on par with the other players, as well, not that any of those guys are truly excellent defenders.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Best defense is a good offense so stay on the front foot and get 30+ shots a game.

alexiskool1991 and falvo repped this.
  18. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One thing I noticed is Lopez likes to cross early instead of bring to the end line. I am not sure if that is his tendency or he is instructed that way to minimize the space behind him. Also for the most part his crosses are not very effective and it seems like he just blindly sends the ball into the box. He is still 19 so there is still a lot can be learned. His capability to dribble out of trouble (but occasionally into trouble unfortunately) to buy some time for relief helps keeping the ball and allows us to build the attack from the back. Lima was doing that pretty well on the right last year seems to struggle to do the same on the left.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pelé use to say that....

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TT has consistently created way better opportunities than Lopez has.

I see Lopez and Lima as pretty equal now, unfortunately.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't disagree, but I think that boils down to execution. I still think he has a bit of an edge with regard to identifying opportunities to get forward. But his crosses and his passing, in general, tend to let him down. If he improves that accuracy, he seems poised to become extremely dangerous.

But again, that recent good performance was against the worst team in the conference, so we need more information against more difficult opponents. But the guy is a converted winger and is 19 years old. What makes me excited about him is that I think improving on technical skills is easier than improving how you see the game. If he's as good at the latter as he seems to be, then he could very quickly improve into a top defender.

22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999