The Official Magnus Eriksson thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Dec 20, 2017.

1. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm no fan of Magnus, but even for him that seems like a MAJOR step down. I'd be happy to see the back of him if we were to bring in a new number 10 or a new winger (and move vako to 10)

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vako did well for a spell last year but I believe he is overpaid and overrated.

A DP in my opinion should produce a lot more and he hasn’t done that in two and a 1/2 seasons that he has been here.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When it comes to Magnus Eriksson, it looks even more uncertain. Although he can sign a pre-contract already now with Djurgården, San Jose Earthquakes does not seem to want to release him before the contract expires.
    - They want Magnus to stay there and those who have a contract must be respected. When the contract expires, he owns the issue himself, says Bosse Andersson.

5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Google translate with my own interpretive guesses:

Anton Zetterman Fotboll direkt

Difficult for DIF to get Eriksson this summer: "They probably want to keep Magnus there”

Magnus Eriksson has six months left on his contract with the San Jose Earthquakes. And according to Djurgården's sports director Bosse Andersson, the MLS club Eriksson is happy to keep the contract period until the end. It looks difficult to get hold of Eriksson this summer:

"They want Magnus to stay there and those who have a contract must be respected. When the contract expires, he owns the issue himself,” Bosse Andersson tells Sportbladet.

Djurgården has aimed for two star names with a background in the club. Kerim Mrabti and Magnus Eriksson. Sports director Bosse Andersson recently confirmed to FotbollDirekt that he will try to acquire both this summer.
    "There could be room for both, but you have to remember that their situations are quite different. But it is my responsibility that if it is possible to find a solution", Andersson said on July 21.

Mrabti is at home in Sweden after leaving Birningham City earlier this summer. He has trained with Djurgården and there is a hope of getting a short-term contract for the rest of the season.

At the same time, Mrabti's preference is to go abroad again.
    "We have met Kerim, but it is not written in stone just because there is a contract. We know what his ambition is and that is to get out into Europe. After the meeting we had with Kerim, we are prepared to give him time", says Bosse Andersson to Sportbladet.

However, a quick response would have been ideal for Djurgården. The Champions League qualifier will start soon.
    "There are some dates that are quite important to us. We know that we have a tough game program in August and we have had some injuries," says Andersson.

When it comes to Magnus Eriksson, it looks even more uncertain. Although he can sign a pre-contract now with Djurgården, the San Jose Earthquakes do not seem to want to release him before the contract expires.
    "They want Magnus to stay there and those who have a contract must be respected. When the contract expires, he owns the issue himself", says Bosse Andersson.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they want Magnus so bad , I’m sure they can wait a few months more.

7. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    offload please!

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  8. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I assume they did not offer Fisher any money to break it early as we know what would have happened.

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's just too bad that his skill level never approached his effort level. Not sure why the Quakes are so determined to keep him for a season that is realistically probably already over...

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would they replace him with on corner kicks and i don’t know what else he does exactly. Seems like Rios is the closest to doing what Magnus does...

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He can still take good pk's...

MtnGardener repped this.
  12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What Magnus does is take corner kicks that go right to a defender or the keeper and lead to dangerous counterattacks. Sure we want to replace that?

Neuwerld, SoccerMan94043 and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy Thompson!!!

Put TT in Magnus's place, Paul Marie to right back (or maybe Lima?) and the team should be instantly improved.

While we're at it, let's play JT in place of Vega. The Whitecraps ran out their third string keeper in the tournament and he was decent. Let's give JT a shot. Vega is crap. Oh, and Tanner Beason in for Kashia and Flo for Alanis, and someone who gives a F@#$ for John Fisher!!

Go Quakes!!
    Sucking like a Dyson since 2013!

- Mark

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did do that very well. My guess is that others can do that just as well. And my other guess is that we can get a much better player for the same price for his position.

sacrxy, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we end up having games, this is a throw away year and a perfect time to experiment. Load up the changes.

tvromero, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Magnus Eriksson is only 48-72 hours away from signing for Djurgardens, according to these reports. Djurgardens and Earthquakes negotiating a transfer fee that John Fisher can put in his pocket.

FIFY...

18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth ....

I wish him well. Skoal Magnus!

sacrxy, markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who will take the pk’s when Magnus leaves?

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Alanis

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a tendency to think that when we sell a player, get a transfer fee, that we get to use that money to improve the team. But you could well be right. It might be that JJ Fisher is just pocketing the cash. We suck. Our owner is shit. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

go quakes!
    go quakesfans!

- mark

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It is a chance for Magnus to be closer to family at home in this challenging time.

I doubt we will find a new player as replacement this season as there is so much unknown. Does Magnus have green card already? If he does have a green card and the replacement comes from overseas, we will need international slot too.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In the roster thread he takes up an international slot and the maximum salary. I was finally impressed with Magnus' vision and passing in the MLS is Back Cup, but those are large resources to find a replacement with.

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.