The Official Magnus Eriksson thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A big part of my frustration with him was his set piece delivery. Last season his corners rarely made it past the first man. The effort was there on the field last year, but he was never as effective as those first few games. As SoccerMan94043 points out he really started playing for fouls rather than playing his best toward the middle and end of the season.

This season you're right, he is playing in a system and position that suit his skill set. His set pieces have become one of the greatest strengths in his game! His passing and vision seem so much better, but of course the system is working for the people he is passing too as well. I think a theme (not just with Magnus) for last year was that we were not as bad as we played, but it was still just so painful to watch. Maybe Magnus was just easy to blame because he seemed to come in with Stahre.

2. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He bought in early to Almeyda's system of crazy fitness...and dedication to his defensive responsibilities...I'm sure Almeyda loves his passion for competing...he plays his ass off.

He's in the catbird seat on the field...every player's dream position. The only position he can help the team. He has a quality shot when he has space, good vision...doesn't routinely create separation from defenders but is cagey and uses his body well....solid guy for team chemistry.

Going forward I think we need more from that position, but you'd need dynamite to get him out of the starting line up this season...too much Bushido in Mag for Almeyda to sit him. With other player drawing attention he's making more plays and helping the team.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the post above by @SoccerMan94043 truly explains it all. If you looked through all the post-game threads last season, you would see those themes a lot. Magnus has a good foot and gets a few good goals both seasons, but last year it felt like his true role was to fall down a lot because he couldn't keep up.

The turn around this season has been really remarkable. I can't even think of another Quakes player where my feelings have turned from so negative to very positive.

davez repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Vako?

jetdog9 repped this.
  6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha
    Uh no, I still don't like Vako all that much. He has improved a lot as far as team play, but he still poses a few defensive errors every game, like he loses his mark or he stabs at a ball or something. Plus he gives up a lot of balls when he dribbles into 2-3 players.

So I like Magnus more than Vako, for sure, this season.

7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great goal last night against Orlando.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mean retracted but I guess restricted would work too.

I don’t think any of us saw this in Magnus! He is a great player!

nihon2000 repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nihon2000 repped this.
  10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Erickson wear the 10 jersey if we can’t keep Espinoza beyond this year

12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jersey numbers don't have any inherent meaning anymore. If he wants to wear number 10 and it's available, sure. But otherwise, let him wear whatever number he wants.

13. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many players vying for the 7, 9, 11, 10 .. technical players from Europe. Happy Days

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indonesia, in Java. He needs to be careful, there is always the danger he could Krakatoa.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Persebaya, is an Indonesian professional football team based in Surabaya, East Java. It plays in Liga 1).

Using Google translate and some very loose interpretation:

https://kaltim.tribunnews.com/2020/...Y0dXQEXxz90GOXHBQf_ATF2MzHIn6Fi50Ax353GaFQV3M

"Persebaya Surabaya is again being linked with quality foreign players in the 2020 League 1 player transfer market. After keeping David da Silva, the proud club of Bonek is associated with players who have been with Zlatan Ibrahimovic to strengthen the Swedish national team.
    The name Magnus Eriksson is widely rumored to be joining Persebaya Surabaya next season. Magnus Eriksson is a winger who can also play as a striker who now plays at an MLS club, the league that Zlatan Ibrahimovic has just left. He joined the San Jose Earthquakes for the last two seasons, and brought San Jose to 8th in the Western Conference, but failed to make the playoffs.
    He is San Jose's top starter in the last two seasons, and only missed two games last season. The career of the player born in Stockholm, 8 April 1990 is also quite classy. The Swedish graduate of the top academy, AIK Fotboll, made his professional debut in 2008. He also strengthened a number of top clubs such as Malmo, Gent (Belgium), Brondby (Denmark), Djurgardens IF, before joining the San Jose Earthquakes.
    Magnus Eriksson also strengthened the Swedish national team in 2014, recording one cap. This 180-degree player also won the Swedish league championship in 2013 and 2014 with Malmo. In 2017, Magnus Eriksson was also the Swedish League's top scorer of 14 goals and 3 assists.
    Last season, with San Jose, he occupied the position of left winger or attacking midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 scheme. His position is very suitable with what is needed by Persebaya Surabaya, who is looking for a metronome midfielder and back line and attack liaison. The advantage he has is the speed and ability to possess the ball. Last season, he recorded 6 goals and 7 assists from 32 appearances for the Quakes. With prices ranging from 1.2 Million Euros or around 19 billion Rupiah, Transfermarkt value, can Persebaya buy him for Bung Tomo Gelora next season?
    Persebaya Surabaya will reportedly announce the players who will remain with the team, and which will be released by Management today. It is planned that 60 percent of the players will be kept by Bajol Ijo Management for League 1 in 2020.
    This was confirmed by the Secretary of Persebaya Surabaya, Ram Surahman. "We still have time until today (Sunday 12/29/19) according to our schedule. "We are currently in the process of discussions with current players, some are set, some players have not yet come to an agreement," Ram said, as quoted from the League 1 page.
    "Then later, for those who are not renewed tomorrow Monday (12/30/2019), we will notify them and will support them as best we can and will them help find a club or help as they are looking for a club on their own," he added. As for new players, Ram is reluctant to disclose who is targeted by coach Aji Santoso. New players will be announced in January after signing a new contract with management. “We have got a number of new players we cannot announce yet, in order to show respect to the previous club, after entering January we will announce one-by-one," he concluded. Persebaya Surabaya successfully closed the League 1 2019 title with quite satisfactory results, finishing in second place in the standings and holding the runner up title. It was due to the hard work of the players and, of course, with the polish of Aji Santoso, who came on to replace the previous coach Wolfgang Pikal.
    Under the tutelage of Aji Santoso, Persebaya was unbeaten in nine games, seven games were wins and the remaining two ended in a draw. As a result, Persebaya finished in second place in the final standings of League 1 2019 and had the opportunity to appear in the 2019 AFC Cup. Impressive performances shown by owners Bajul Ijo means management must move quickly to retain their players.
    Quoted by Tribunnews from the East Java Tribune, Bajul Ijo's team manager hinted that 60 percent of his squad will be maintained for next season. That was the figure used by Candra Wahyudi the manager of the Surabaya Persebaya team:
    Facing the upcoming 2020 League 1, Candra Wahyudi reported that his club already had a picture of which players will be in uniform for Persebaya. Candra said that a number of players would be released and replaced by new one., Although not going into detail, Bajul Ijo currently has a roster of 28 players and only 60 percent is expected to be retained. “We have 28 players now, and the expectation of the coach is that maybe 60 percent will be retained," said Candra Wahyudi. Management will conduct an evaluation of all the players currently available in relation to the performance that they have displayed when in Persebaya uniform in the 2019 League 1 competition.
    The move proves the truth of the statement made by the President of the Persebaya Club, Azrul Ananda, in October. At that point Bajul Ijo had collected only 31 points from 24 matches and was far from the goal both in the game and in the league standings at the time. Azrul warned the Persebaya squad that those who wanted tostay with the team had to prove it on the green grass.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This would be the best acquisition of the offseason. Addition by subtraction.

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Magnus had a good season last season, he was one of our better players. watch us lose him and replace him with nobody.

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Magnus is not my favorite but this is only good news if we replace him with someone better. I wouldn’t assume that’s going to happen.

markmcf8 and davez repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Compared to the way he played the year before, I thought he was one of our better players in 2019.

Quakes05 and davez repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Got the joke the first time. :)

Here's an excellent history, which I recommend.

Krakatoa by Simon Winchester.jpg

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't so sure about our younger viewers.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It would be a huge positive if he moved on...and also Vako, but it looks as though we're stuck with him for another year. We won't reach our full potential under Almeyda until they're both gone.

markmcf8 repped this.