The Official Luchi Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Aug 17, 2022.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll respond to your gruezo comment but the rest of your post is a no true Scotsman fallacy, a hypothetical, and lots of conclusory statements with no evidence of luchi being a bad coach.

Gruezo was solid last year he did his job and shielded the back line and the defense performed well enough to make the playoffs and get knocked out of the playoffs on pks. Something happened this year either he lost a step with age or motivation I don't know but he really declined and stopped doing the fundamental requirements of the 6.

I do think we should've started Morales at the 6 last weekend as neither yueill nor tsakiris can play there. They were terribad against lafc.

2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jackson has been one of the worst, starting players in Quakes history.

mjlee22 repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Aftershock guys agree about Jackson

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    There is a strong "anti-Yueill sentiment on reddit (not everyone but some really, really vocal people) and I guess a lot of the same people chat on The Aftershock. So you see a lot of Jackson Yueill hate on there. The Aftershock guys, meh, I don't think they necessarily agree. Colin Etnire always defends him, and probably Jamon Moore to some extent also.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's very frustrating to hear that there was a Chris Leitch press conference today and we only get to hear snippets of it by way of analysis thru the likes of Alex Morgan? :cry: Whether anyone agree with CL or not, sounds like he said a bunch of stuff that would be of interest to hear, like what he thinks the problems are with the Quakes, whether he thinks the Quakes' roster is good enough, what are the plans for the summer, etc. Is there any way we can watch the press conference?

All I got thru their 2nd hand chatter is something-something line of pressure too low - defensive problems are not necessarily all at the back, something-something roster is good enough for ? - to make the playoffs(?) - (obviously not happening this year), and something-something looking at the transfer market. Again I'm having to guess from hearing 2nd hand snippets filtered thru Alex Morgan but sounds like they are thinking about reinforcing the center midfield. A real d-mid, i.e. one that is not Carlos Gruezo?

markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and don gagliardi repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So Quakes haven't shown any portion of the press conference on their website or social media?

Apple's MLS Season Pass has nothing?

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I can't find anything anywhere. It wasn't always like this. I remember the Jesse "we're firing Stahre" press conference with the fabulous Tom Fox making a very rare appearance. It was one morbid event, but at least we got to see it. Jesse we still kind of trying to defend his Stahre hire. But the bearing walls! And hey didn't we look great in that 1st game of the season!?

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @don gagliardi @JazzyJ if you apply for a MLS Media Pass you can access every teams press conferences, ask questions, attend them, and view them unedited in their entirety. You also get to watch them right after the game, and as a press holder you can request players to attend the post match conferences.

I have a MLS Media Pass I can log into the MLS website and view them. My friend who works for Fox Sports she was able to get me one through Fox Media.

Let me see if the Leitch one is archived and try to download it for everyone

sacrxy, mjlee22, Beckham7 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough with the hyperbole... he's not even the worst starting CM this season.

SoccerMan94043 and JazzyJ repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I did not get through the entire Aftershock conference because I got a call, but they were suggesting that Leith was also in peril of losing his job. Two failed coach hires, plus Leitch went along with signing Gruezo, one of the team's most expensive mistakes.

markmcf8 and Beckham7 repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    They were saying suggesting that he gets one more coaching hire, like Jesse did. Luchi was the first CL coach hire. Of course this is just their own theory - there's not written rule that two bad coaches and you're out, or one bad coach and you're out, etc. They're making stuff as they go just like we do :).

12. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude isn't near the best either, but he's also one of the worst long term starters we've ever had. What success has this man brought us? Or anyone on this roster for that matter?

Go watch AYSO bruh if you want to clap hands and give participation awards.

And that goes with saying as a Jackson fan. Gruezo and Yueill are the first 2 guys on this team that should be replaced followed by Judd and Yarbrough.

However, Yueill as fresh legs off the bench, fine.

13. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll let Jazzy post his Gruezo star charts, but he really has added nothing. As a comparison: Judson (who cost a 1/4 of what Gruezo does) when healthy was all over the field making tackles, even if he added little offensively. Gruezo adds no offense and has many well documented examples of ball watching/ not being in the right place to prevent goals. He has been the living embodiment of the sunk cost fallacy in action during his time here.

I am not sure if I can go through my post history and don't care enough to make the effort. I don't post much, but it's usually my commentary on the game in the post game thread. I would bet 33%+ plus of my commentary would include "Gruezo ********s up and it leads to a goal".

My post history would also have tons of analysis as to why Luchi is a shitty coach and why I wanted him fired last year. The short answer I can give is that his teams are boring and predictable offensively while being highly susceptible to counter attacks.

You can say the rot starts at the top, but you can't let Luchi off the hook.

The simplest way to prove my point is to look at what every coach we have had in the past 10 years has done after their time with the Quakes. Have they gotten free of the Quakes/ John Fisher and all of a sudden become great coaches? The only one who might be able to argue this is Almeyda, but even then the Greek League only has 4 teams worth a shit and he has arguably the biggest in Greece in second place. I would also argue Almeyda was the best of the bunch we have had by a long shot but is kind of like a Jim Harbaugh in the NFL type: not the greatest at x's and o's but gets his players fired up and so can have teams playing great in shorter stints, but is not super sustainable. Also will get into spats with the higher ups that leads to an unstable environment (even if we all enjoyed him feuding with Fisher, he also feuded with Chivas ownership).

Boysinblue, mjlee22, bostero24 and 3 others repped this.
  14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Galaxy players wanted Kinnear, and FCC / Noonan are always giving credit to Dom for helping right the ship up there. Kinnear also brought FCC MVP Acosta and was a big component to giving Celentano his shot and getting Geoff Cameron a few years ago and Matt Miazga which helped turn the defensive problems around.

15. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dom still has his value as lifer in the league who has seen it all, but has nothing to do with my point. He hasn't fully taken over a different team in MLS and got them to any great success that he couldn't get here due to being employed by the awful John Fisher.

The bottom line is we spend more than the Union, yet they have had opposite fortunes over the past half decade due to having a great coach and GM. They appear to be approaching the limits of their cheapskate ways this season, but we know Curtain is a good coach due to his long track record of doing more with less. If Luchi was a good coach, our current team would at least be in the play-off line mix like Curtain has the Union.

Of course I wish we had an owner who splashed the cash like LAFC's owner does, but that isn't happening anytime soon.

We should all be celebrating today that we no longer have to watch Luchi's boring and very unsuccessful brand of soccer.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you at all.

The Union Players and Fans are screaming for the owners to sell. The Fountain of youth has run dry and its caught up to them. Curtain is a good coach, but even he needs resources. So I agree.

Luchi is not a good coach, there is no metric in this world that says he is since were surrounded by numbers guys.

Luchi's record with Dallas and San Jose aren't great. He had a superior roster with his time in Dallas and couldn't consistently put together a decent championship run or high table run. He had a very stagnant offense which had National Team level quality and future national team level quality. He had a good keeper, good defense, bright young stars in the midfield night and day different then the Quakes, but he got his guys. Luchi wanted a new keeper got Daniel, he got the defensive CB he wanted in Wilson and his prized pick of Gruezo. With a good team he sucks, with a terrible team, he's exposed.

bostero24 and RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Philly fans unhappy? Ya don’t say.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks, I was in the car listening on my phone and missed some of the nuance...maybe a lot of the nuance!

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well overall they did suggest that his seat was getting warm.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As today’s news unfolded, I decided to visit Costco for today’s meal:

IMG_1191.jpeg

But it then hit me that two contrasting events occurred today: the firing of one person as well as the promotion of another. :eek:

So should today’s dinner have been considered a grievous meal or a celebratory one? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Will’s is cause for celebration! :)

Boysinblue and Goodsport repped this.
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celebratory meal it is (or rather, was), then! :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just curious , why is it that a departing, fired coach never says anything negative or bitter towards the organization and/or team that fired him?

Is it because he is obligated to do so by his contract or is it that they/he is/are very grateful that they were just fired?

I never quite understood the connection but if I were just canned, I don’t think I’d say anything positive about the guy who just fired me, regardless of I’m getting paid or not.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They wanna get hired by someone else?

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Luchi got canned twice in three years so how many more jobs can he possibly be offered?