The Official Luchi Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Aug 17, 2022.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Just explaining what I meant. You're representing your position just as much as I am mine, so...not sure what your point is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a San Josr Grizzly

bsman repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's where I first saw him - at the Shark Tank maybe? he was a magician in the indoor game.

4. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Like, Kip Colvey, Tommy Thompson, Leitch being a great coach, etc. - did you ever think that maybe you were wrong on some of those guys? Or maybe you’re wrong on lodeiro not being that good?

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My cousin in Sacramento was almost signed by Preki and he wanted him real bad but the management went with a local Sac State product.

He was taller in stature and wasn’t as good but they signed him because they wanted to get the local soccer community involved in their expansion year.

He told players that he concentrates only on attacking and and wants them all to eat , drink , sleep and think about soccer all day.

It sounds cliche and maybe this philosophy has changed in the last ten years but that’s what he wanted at the time.

I would love to see Preki but I don’t think he will be hired by the Quakes.

bsman repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1256 JazzyJ, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Wow, you are still not understanding what I mean by "not that good". It's not "not that good". It's "not that good" (if you heard me say it, it would be more clear by how I stress the words) - i.e. so good that he singlehandedly elevated a team from a 6-12-2 record (that's like a Quakes record) to MLS Cup. I know he was a great player in his prime. That's not my point. Seattle 2016 had a lot of good players, including Clint Dempsey - one of the top American players of all time, Jordan Morris, Cristian Roldan, Osvaldo Alonso, Stefan Frei, Erik Friberg, etc. It wasn't just Lodeiro and a bunch of goons. "Don't have the horses", hah! Sigi...smh.

As for the rest, I never claimed that any of those guys were great players / coaches. I only pointed out the good things that they did and defended them from the hate. TT had some good games for the Quakes over a long career. And some not so good ones. Leitch is still the most successful Quakes coach since 2008. Given more time he could have done worse, he could have done better. We don't know. I would have liked to have found out rather than to have seen the Mikhael Stahre era. So sue me.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Preki is probably the furthest thing from a "player's coach", but perhaps that approach might work where others have failed...

JazzyJ repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That's what I always felt about Preki. He's "preki-ly" personality. Not for the faint of heart. But I really liked how his teams played. I remember one time Chivas USA came to Buck Shaw and just ran us off the field. We were completely outclassed.

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him when he first came to the states from Yugolsavia and played for the Tacoma Stars indoor team. Yes, incredible player.

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to play with Preki, Dayak and a few of the other grizzlies at Off The Wall in Santa Clara after one of their practices. Was a season ticket holder too :)

Beerking, TyffaneeSue, falvo and 3 others repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all agree that Nicolas Lodeiro one of the best DPs in the history of the league is "not that good"

[​IMG]

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sigh. Are you reading the posts? For the 10th time, I didn't mean "not that good" in that way. I meant it as not so good that he singlehandedly took a 6-12-2 team that "didn't have the horses" to an MLS Cup. To jog everyone's memory, since you're not reading my posts, that Seattle team that "did not have the horses" (according to Sigi Schmid) also had Clint Dempsey - one of the top American players of all time, Jordan Morris, Cristian Roldan, Osvaldo Alonso, Stefan Frei, Erik Friberg, etc.

13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats awesome!

It means you played with Brian Quinn, Dave Salzwedel, Jeff Baicher and one of my family friends goalkeeper Louis Mata

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1264 falvo, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    I recall watching practices with Preki and all those guys on the Grizzlies.

They also had signed former NASL/WSA Quakes Frank Van Den Brand Horninge and Chris Dangerfield but can't remember if they played in too many games.

Preki like Zungul was a stud in the indoor game and would win games by himself.

He initially claimed that he came back to San Jose from England to play for the Grizzlies but he really came back for the startup of MLS.

I remember speaking to him at the Britania Arms in Almaden in early 1996 and he wanted to get signed by the Clash but Laurie Calloway signed Paul Bravo and then Peter Bridgwater signed Eric Wynalda as a marquee player against Calloway's wishes.

The Clash could have definitely used Preki in those early years of 1996-2000.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news for Luchi: His photo is in The Athletic

Bad news for Luchi: It's for their "Five coaches on the hot seat"

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Love Luchi's retro NASL jacket! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am all for giving Ian a chance at this juncture. Luchi is not the guy, obviously.

Longer term, if Ian doesn't completely change the trajectory, we should completely clean house and give the GM/HC keys to people straight from under Curtin in the Philly Union Org (who that is, I don't know -- shame Noonan is gone already)

All the whining about Fisher is warrented but tiresome, because we can't get rid of him. The good news is, Philly has had the same or less amount of money to work with, but have basically been the exact opposite in terms of being smart.

We need to just straight up plagarize the Philly Union playbook. We will never be ATL United, but being the Union would be awesome enough for me.

Beerking, nivla, xbhaskarx and 4 others repped this.
  18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union pay less than us too.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    My single fear for Russell taking over is the same one Kaitlyn has. He could get promoted and have to deal with a team that has checked out of the season with a roster of guys that are built to play Luchi ball. Very first thing he should request of Lietch/Shawlee is a trade for Danny Musovski so he’ll have a guy that understands Russell’s system and how to exploit counter attacking opportunities.

I think history shows the Quakes have made a major blunder in going all in on “Barcelona Ball” with Alex Covelo. It looks pleasing to the eye but has not proven to be very effective in winning games or championships. As good as the youth teams have been they have not put trophies in the case nor has the first team come close. It’s past time that the Quakes learn to be a ruthless team and not worry about looking pretty. The dream of stringing 25+ passes together with everyone getting a touch and then ending up with a guy wide open for a tap in goal is a fallacy. Emulating Philadelphia would be a massive improvement to the fan base.

nivla, TyffaneeSue, Kaitlyn and 2 others repped this.
  20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when they say that we suck, they can’t be bothered with any analysis or words of wisdom. Luchi wasn’t even first on the list, and he obviously should be.

I tell ya, we don’t get no respect!

Also, why hasn’t Luchi been fired yet?

Go Quakesfans!!

falvo repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Luchi: "I hope that's just heartburn..."

sacrxy, TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Who was brought in to play Luchi Ball? Pellegrino? Judd? Maybe Bruno or Costa?

I'm not sure these guys were brought in to play Luchi ball (if by Luchi ball you mean defensive, bunkerball)...

...I think you're giving Leitch too much credit. He brought in who he could find (without the benefit of a scouting department, not much money to spend, etc).

I agree that it would be unreasonable to expect Ian or any coach to step in and immediately do much better. Maybe a small new coach bump, but not much. This roster needs to be completely reworked and rebuilt if Ian is to have much luck, but not because it was built for Luchi. As tends to be the case typically, Quakes have some talented players, just not enough.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I see both Judd and Pellegrino as well suited to a more direct style, so if that were the direction under Russell I think they’d do fine. I’d say better.

markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CC:
    I don't think they would beat the Galaxy in Carson even with a new coach bounce. So perhaps it's best for Luchi to make it through this week. Fire him after he gets destroyed next weekend.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brutal, Juice!