The Official Luchi Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    3-4 year plan. :ROFLMAO::cry: Quakes fans are definitely getting it in the end.

2. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

I certainly don't agree. I'm with you Quakes05, I just stated what I think will happen. The reason for hiring Luchi is for him to do exactly what he did or attempted to do in Dallas until he got canned.
    Time will tell. We've hit rock bottom yrs ago.

Quakes05 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since Jesse was hired, that makes 8 years....

bostero24 repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    8 looooooong years…

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Only been six so far. :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #481 JazzyJ, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    I’m asking what was the plan in Matias’s 4-year plan. Can anyone define it? Anything? Even if you argue that it wasn’t going to work because something something Fish, what was it?

At one point Jesse talked about our club becoming “cognitively dominant”, like we’d essentially be smarter than other teams. So there’s a plan, no matter how naive. And did we do something to try to make it happen, like teach tactics really really hard? But that was Jesse not Matias. With Matias I really have no idea. Each year we we’re going to man mark harder?

If we have a youth development plan with presumably some selling and reinvestment at least we can identify something as a plan, whether or not it works. If you have no plan at all, there is 0 hope for success.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize the Sharks were no longer rocking full arenas. Is that largely because of the pandemic, or did the team get really bad, and if so why? I obviously don't follow hockey at all...

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh haha i totally forgot about the "cognitively dominant" objective.

Actually, remember how Matias' man-marking was initially flummoxing opponents? Until that one team figured out that they just had to have a player run to the bathroom, leaving a big hole in the middle... And then everyone did that to us. But initially, that might have been cognitive dominance, i.e. out-thinking opponents a little.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vaguely remember Jesse Fioranelli speaking about a coordinated playstyle plan between the San Jose Earthquakes and Reno 1868 FC when he first started with us, but both Dominic Kinnear and Mikael Stahre then bristled at that idea, pretty much pushing that plan aside by the time Matías Almeyda arrived. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just like Joe Strummer said:

[​IMG]

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Sharks induced the City to end its booster mandate at SAP within a month of implementation, so there’s part of your answer.

12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #487 Quakes05, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    Sharks had something like 25 years straight of sell out attendance, tremendous community support, the arena was always thought to be one of the loudest buildings in the league and toughest places to play for opponents…but once some of our key players left, our old GM made some poor signing decisions, we entered a “rebuilding” stage, Sharks have been sort aimlessly meandering along (sound familiar?) ever since (over the last few years now)…all these years, no Stanley Cup…fans interest has waned significantly- it’s a shame. Sharks were a great team for many years despite never having won it all.

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Joe Strummer never met :eek: John Fisher, obviously.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    In the interview with Alex Covelo he said they had a defined "game model" that they were pushing through their entire system, and this was around the time Jesse came in, so circa 2017. But they had to modify it a bit when Matias came in because I think man marking became part of it. I don't know how it meshed with Stahre. Covelo didn't mention that. But part of the problem with Stahre could have been him coming in with a different idea about how the game should be played. He was not really a play out of the back guy or a guy that wanted to possess the ball too much. It was something-something "bearing walls".

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The expansion honeymoon ends at some point. Sharks fans are spoiled if they’re bailing during a modest rebuild after two decades of winning squads.

Sabres haven’t made playoffs since 2011, and they’re outdrawing Sharks, 13,769 to 13,602 per game.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's the Houston Dynamo "born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple, and when they strike out instead want to take their ball and go home" syndrome. :)

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not really. Sharks sucked first couple years at Cow Palace, had a miraculous couple playoff runs in first two years in Shark Tank, then mostly sucked again in late 90s before roughly 20 straight playoff seasons. The new car smell finally wore off.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Jim Morrison said,
    [​IMG]
    Let it roll baby, roll!

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    True, it was not as extreme a case as Houston Dynamo - gifted two straight championships their 1st 2 years. I mean who gets that?? And then several good years after that. When they finally started sucking a bit people started taking their ball and going home.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took them until 2015 to go home, that's a very long time to keep the new car smell.

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What booster mandate? COVID booster?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, the city council imposed a booster mandate for city facilities including SAP, effective 2/1/22. Lifted first week of March after Sharks complained. Extraordinary about face. Reading between lines of staff presentation at council meeting, Sharks threatened to relocate.

mjlee22 repped this.
  24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Ranking the Biggest Playoff Upsets in NHL History | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

1. "The Underdog

It was San Jose's third NHL season and its first playoff appearance. The Sharks earned just 63 points in 164 games over their first two seasons, and in 1993-94, their 82 points in 84 games was 17th out of 26 teams.

The team was built around Russians and Latvians. Igor Larianov, Sergei Makarov, Johan Garpenlov and Sandis Ozolinsh were all top-five postseason scorers for the team, and Arturs Irbe was the goalie.

The Sharks were without any true superstars. Larionov was the only future Hall of Famer, and Ozolinsh's seven All-Star Game appearances were two more than the rest of the team combined.

The Favorite

Coached by the great Scotty Bowman for the first time, Detroit was four seasons into its current streak of 23 straight postseason appearances.

The Red Wings finished the regular season with 100 points for the second consecutive season, which was good for fourth-best overall. Their 273 combined points over this season and the prior and following seasons would almost double San Jose's 146.

The team boasted four current Hall of Famers (Steve Yzerman, Mark Howe, Paul Coffey and Dino Cicarelli), two who will no doubt be named soon (Nicklas Lidstrom and Sergei Fedorov), two multi-time All-Stars (Chris Osgood and Keith Primeau) and four more players of distinction (Bob Probert, Vladimir Konstantinov, Kris Draper and Steve Chiasson). In short, it was stacked.

What Happened?

Detroit got out to a 2-1 series lead, outscoring San Jose, 11-7, in the first three games. The Sharks won the next two at home before suffering a 7-1 beatdown when the series went back to Detroit. San Jose pulled off the upset with a 3-2 win in Game 7, thanks to a third-period game winner from Jamie Baker.
    :cool:

Goodsport repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, we agree? Miraculous. :)

The double-overtime win against Calgary in the decisive game 7 the following season was pretty incredible, also.

Quakes05 repped this.