The Official Luchi Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Aug 17, 2022.

1. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In todays game the U.S defense couldn’t mark their man to save their lives. We could have won 1-0 if the defense did their darn jobs.

The Quakes have a poor defense.

Not confident Luchi is the guy to make things happen for us. Just saying.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't know, seems like a bit of a stretch to me:

The USMNT gave up a total of 1 goal in 3 games in the group stage, but had a poor game defensively in the knockout round against a top team. Therefore, one of the assistant coaches doesn't know how to coach defenses.

Earthshaker and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that really on the coaching? Defenders at that level know their responsibility. They just got caught watching the ball and not looking to see where the runners were coming from.

markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  4. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Glad you agree Jazzy!!

;););):):):)

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, I agree it's a bit of a stretch! :)

DasMoots repped this.
  6. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does Luchi start Jan 1?

Feels like we are already behind …. As usual.

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    No reason I can think of that he shouldn’t be starting now.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I already feel bad for the guy. but I guess he should know what he's signed up for.

they're still scapegoating poor old Matias :ROFLMAO: even though he had three of though most lackluster off seasons in MLS history to contend with (kind of like this one so far :cautious:) and we've now seen what 8 or 9 coaches all come up short for exactly the same reason - complete failure by the owner/GM to find and sign the players we need to be competitive. it's that simple.

#coachingisnttheprobleminsanjose

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Who’s “they”?

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    anyone who thinks Matias is to blame for last season or the year before or 2020, or 2019.

Coaching isn’t the problem in SJ. That should be entirely obvious to anyone following this team. Coaching isn’t what’s holding us back, coaching isn’t what’s going to propel us forward.

all the problems with the San Jose Earthquakes begin and end with the owner/GM who still seem just as unlikely to build a competitive team here now, as ever.

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Everyone understands that coaching the Quakes is a challenging task. However, one would expect that a "great coach" would have some positive impact over the norm, and not, given nearly 4 years, to not only fail to make progress but to more or less get progressively worse to the extent that you don't win a single game out of 7 at the end of your tenure. Matias may be a "great coach" elsewhere but by and large he was not "great" or even good with the Quakes.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seriously? Give it a break until he at least gets here!

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly. Can we give the guy a chance before declaring him a failure? How will he do if he's given a similar "4-year plan"? Will we make 0 progress again, and wind up crashing and burning with 0 wins out of 7 and he's jumping into the stands to fight fans and not showing up for postgame conferences? We'll see.

14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Luchi might be the next coming of Pep…won’t matter. It’s not about coaching. Anyone who thinks Luchi can make a difference without a massive infusion of talent (now) is sadly mistaken. Mark my words.

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    again, it’s not about Luchi. It’s about providing him the talent and depth he needs to compete in todays MLS. So far CL et al seem to be fast asleep as the weeks roll by. Critical weeks needed to prepare and (finally) get our culture turned around.
    I don’t even know Luchi or his capabilities but I’m sure he’s no miracle worker either. And I’ve watched Fishball over 8 coaches now, long enough to see a pattern.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right that we need some good players. BUT, it is definitely about coaching. A good coach gets the best out of the guys that he has. Matías didn’t do that. His tactics never really worked in our league. Even when we had a good run of games, he would change what we were doing and derail our success.

We have had a string of bad coaches. Yes, we need to get better players, but our level of abject failure is on the coaches too.

It’s two! Two screw ups in one!

Also, why the hell isn’t Luchi in SJ already?! :mad:

Go Quakesfans!!

SeaJayBee and JazzyJ repped this.
  17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    sorry mark you’re wrong. by the time we’ve seen the same exact pattern play out over 8 coaches now, we see what’s happening with the A’s and the entire MLS universe knows how cheap Fisher is…it’s safe to assume it’s not coaching that’s holding the Quakes back.

i expect Luchi is a nice guy, maybe even a great coach but he’s going exactly nowhere in San Jose if Fisher and Leechy don’t have a change of heart and commit to building a competitive roster, now.

he will just become the latest sad casualty of Fishball and our newest scapegoat for all the apologists to fixate on.

18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree coaching is a factor, but players are most important. Yallop was a great example. He was a good coach when Agoos, Donovan, Cannon, Onstad, DeRo were on the teams from 2001- 2005, but in his second stint, not so much. Why? He didn't have the players.

I expect the Quakes will be better in the near term under Luchi for a couple of reasons. He had learned as a coach at Dallas. He had a good stint with the USMNT. He appears to understand youth development which is the core of the Quakes moving forward.

However, it will be about the players. Unless we get some players at central midfield and our new outside backs do deliver, we are going to be the same hit and miss throughout the season.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I know people are impatient, but we also have to allow the team to build towards something. If we're going to be about youth development, and this is a main reason we hired Luchi, it may take a few years to start to hit stride, and the 1st year or 2 could be underwhelming or even poor (which would be about par for the course).

Matias had a 4-year plan, but what were we building towards exactly? A style of play? It kind of peaked in the middle of 2019, and then it seemed that man-marking became a liability after that most of the time. What exactly were we building? How were we going to get progressively better each year? That was never clear. If you commit to youth development at least there's a chance that you get better year over year.

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Luchi’s contract probably doesn’t even start until Jan 1st. I think the Quakes like to run calendar year to year. He will likely bump into Covelo leaving on that day……

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    The way I see it. I'm sure Luchi will get minimum 3-4 yrs. First couple seasons will probably be like Dallas were when he was head coach. He started mixing homegrowns with veteran talent. Didn't win much but started to see homegrowns making strides. Dallas were infamous for not spending much at all, but it all changed when they started selling the young talent and reinvesting in better overall talent. We are not going to get any great players I think until we sell some. That should be in a couple of seasons after our great young academy players start becoming part of our first team. If he gets to make it 3-4 yrs that is. Which he should.

JazzyJ repped this.
  22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    wonder if Chris Leitch will be back from his extended vacation by then? sure would be nice if he could set the new coach up for a little success next year, get him that full arsenal/competitive roster we were promised this year. I have to think Chris has some big, bold player signing announcements lined up for the coming weeks...I'm sure he doesn't want a repeat of this year.

if the plan is to build through youth development, we're going to need a positive first team culture for these kids to join, as Wee Man correctly points out. otherwise, its going to be tough on these kids, possibly even harmful to their development, as we've seen.

23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    fans in San Jose are pretty much out of patience. its been so long since the Quakes were even trying...there are a handful of diehards here and there...but it's going to be really sad watching the rebuilding years because the Quakes have lost the plot completely. I hate to see how empty PPP is going to be as 2023 unfolds. People will interpret that as "the support isn't here for an MLS team"...when in truth, it was never about coaching, or building through kids, or whatever...Fisher has sucked the life out of our poor little team as he's watched the value of his investment soar.

I think that's why I'm so frustrated. Everything I'm hearing about building through kids, and 2026...ludicrous. Quakes can't afford to be crap again in 2023. I doubt this team is still in SJ in 2026, at this rate.

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    PPP is going to look like the Shark Tank on game day, practically empty. Which really bums me out because (a) these are two teams that I love (b) this is my community which I love and (c) I can remember all those years when the tank was packed and rocking and I can remember when the Quakes were a legitimate team in MLS and it’s crushing to see how far both teams have fallen. Worse with the Quakes of course because it’s been such a loooooooong, unrelenting stretch run of crap.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Right and this is why I think “3-4 year plan” makes sense if this is the plan. Matias had a 3-4 year plan but what exactly was the plan? What were we doing season to season that was going to make us better?

That said I think Jesse wanted us to be a develop and sell team also, so it’s all about the execution in the end.