The Official Luchi Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Aug 17, 2022.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What happened to f*ck San Jose? Gonna start calling you Sybil. :)

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Another reason to protect duo lingo Tommy! :)

JazzyJ repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Chief Wondonator

Goodsport repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fu*k SJ still lol.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you smoking good ganga? Just asking.

I'm hoping that Luchi can get it done, and with Ian on board (and Adin Brown, hopefully?) that's looking like a good staff. I don't know squat about Fusco.

Go Quakaesfans!!

- Mark

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think Fusco was hired to coach Quakes girl's academy and wound up on Covelo's coaching staff. Speaking of your would-be fight opponent, is Alex staying on?

7. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not seeing Covelo's name anywhere in the press releases.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I spoke to him, he wasn’t sure if the Quakes would be part of the organization or not.

From what it sounded like , he wasn’t going to be offered any type of job.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That could be an issue with staying with the organization - that whole “not going to be offered any type of job” thing. That would be kind of brutal though. That guy did the best he could under difficult circumstances..

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but his best still sucked. He still made many of the same mistakes that Matías did. He still played guys out of position. He still played with just one striker. And … he’s a dick.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Kaitlyn repped this.
  11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #386 Quakes05, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    "brutal" is right...Quakes have set up, what, 8 coaches in a row now to fail? I've lost count.

"difficult circumstances" also right. clearly coaching is not the problem in San Jose. we could run out and sign Pep today...wouldn't matter. this team needs roster upgrades from one end to the other.

we haven't heard anything yet about how Chris Leitch plans to spend this off season. I have to imagine/hope he's hard at work behind the scenes lining up some big, bold player moves sure to delight and excite the San Jose faithful.

I'm willing to give JT some more time, it's easy to pin some of his whopping 69 GA on a shaky backline, but really, we probably need a starting goalie, with JT playing back up. We need outside backs. We need another starting CB, the new guy didn't impress much and Nathan, who I like, is very prone to a reckless challenge, possibly an injury.

I agree with others, our midfield needs the most work...we need two or three new starting midfielders. and up top, where would we be without Jebo? He was great, the highlight of our season...but we have one striker, and if he can't keep up his '22 scoring pace, or gets injured, :eek: we're in trouble. We need another productive striker. On the wings, Benji/Cade sharing the LW duties, Espinoza on the right...maybe, but they have a hard time whipping in dangerous crosses, set pieces and corner kicks have been poor (for how long now?)...but it seems least likely that we see upgrades in these positions.

And DP's. Mostly we need to get our DP's right. Monteiro is up and down but seems to be linking up better with Jebo (maybe hopeful thinking), Espinoza had a better year last year but still off the pace we first saw with him under MA. GG...maybe a good off the bench sub? We still need to replace Chofis. So, maybe (ideally) we have one DP slot already filled (either Monteiro or Espinoza, although if we're going by productivity, it should be Jebo)...we free up two DP slots and sign either a burley CB, a goalie, an ACM...or a striker, as our two big offseason DP pickups (maybe a DP defender and a DP attacker?). But we need leaders...winners...players who've been an important part of winning teams, domestic or international. Players who can mentor the kids on and off the field. Players we can build around.

These are basic moves, just to get the Quakes playing in and around a playoff spot.

So, extensive moves, lots of work to do...a roster overhaul really. That's what we need. What we're likely to see? probably not much...but maybe Leitch proves me wrong, and this is an offseason for the ages...and the Quakes are ready for 2023. Hope springs eternal.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He improved results dramatically from Matias's results last season, and he did it while trying to change the defensive system on the fly, and having 3 open starting roster spots. To some extent, Leechi hung him out to dry. So, no he did not "suck". He didn't do great, but he did OK under the circumstances. He seems like a good guy to me, but then again I didn't yell a bunch of vitriol at him :).

13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I don't see how anyone can characterize finishing in last place as "dramatic improvement" and keep a straight face. But Covelo stepped up when his team needed him and did the best he could in an impossible situation. I'm sure he thought he had a legitimate shot at the job, but did he really? Or was he just hung out to dry by Leitch and ends up unemployed as a result of his willingness to do what his team asked of him?

That would be awful if he gets canned for his effort.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Covelo’s PPG were not last place.

Matias, on the other hand . . .

Hence, the “dramatic improvement.” :)

15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another victim to the world of sports. He knows his jobs on the line everyday. Can't sit in catering forever and expect to not get fired eventually. Everyone gets fired eventually in sports.

We owe Covello nothing, he didn't dramatically improve our team. He's a below average coach with well below average results. I dont care if he could have won 3 more games and we made the playoffs, its the past and he can go suck his wifes asshole now.

bsman repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Was Covelo supposed to abstain from conjugal relations during his coaching tenure? :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well debatable lmao

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I guess he's just the latest casualty of fishball. I wish him well...just like all these coaches. I guess if they don't know what they're signing up for in San Jose, they should. so, to some degree it's on them I suppose.

19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eww

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Covelo's PPG, were it to be extended full season would have put us just a hair below the MLS "Super Team", Seattle.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    and for all his amazing work...sayonara.

does anyone think Luchi will fare much better, without major roster upgrades? I don't think so.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does anyone think there won’t be upgrades?

23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    have you heard anything? I haven't. stealthy strategy so far, if he has a coherent one. :) maybe no news is good news? :D

bostero24 repped this.
  24. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    And.... Where did they finish this yr?

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not good, but it was a heck of a lot better than 3 points out of 7 games.