The Official John J. Fisher ownership thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Mar 30, 2019.

?

John Fisher

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. should spend more money

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. should fire Fox and/or Fioranelli

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. should bring in additional owners

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. should sell the team

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. is not the problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. is doing a great job!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like Fisher was shamed into continuing to pay the minor leaguers under the A's umbrella. So he is susceptible to some public opinion. Of course, that probably has more to do with the number of respected baseball writers and such who called BS on him. The press that covers MLS doesn't have that kind of clout, so not sure it would work there, yet. But it's a positive sign that we can potentially get him to change positions on some issues.

markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn’t find the “A small team” thread...

Has this guy heard of “Silicon Valley” lol

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Scrooge McDuck would probably find our ownership rather parsimonious. In addition to his record of benign neglect of his sports franchises, he's also apparently a virtual non-entity when it comes to any sort of generosity. I was curious to see if he at least spends money helping the less fortunate, and found this is in his entry in Wiki:

Philanthropy[edit]
    Fisher chairs the board of the Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP Foundation), dedicated to training teachers for the KIPP public charter school network.,[1] and co-chair of the Charter School Growth Fund.

So, essentially, he advocates charter schools (which drain resources from public schools), eschews any real philanthropy, and apparently feels little or no social responsibility towards people who weren't smart enough to inherit a fortune. We are just sooo lucky to have this gem of a human as our owner...

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pssst...small team is here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/a-small-team.1999055/

I have to voice a dissenting opinion here vis a vis charter schools/KIPP. I understand the "draining resources" argument (and my family has been 100% public schools, plus I was on the board of the district foundation) but in practice, they tend to be more resource efficient than public schools -- without the same bureaucracy. They often provide a viable option for kids who don't do well in public schools -- but whose families can't afford private schools

Education is a disaster in this country, and KIPP offers one alternative model. Maybe not ideal, but I wouldn't knock Fisher for serving on the board. Apparently his father was an active supporter of many educational organizations, and that's probably how he got roped in.

On the other hand -- don't know if it's mentioned earlier in this thread, but according to Wikipedia:

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Oh god. Can we take the politics to some political forum? Because if we are all about to post our feelings about whether we should eat the rich, agree with someone else "eating the rich", or have some other feeling, that will be a mess.

7. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we put in a first of its kind for soccer analytical tracking system that the German Federation came out here to partner with us. So we collect data and don’t use it? Great

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may or may not use the data, but apparently we don’t have a full time analyst on the staff.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    knowing Fisher’s propensity vis-a-vis the A’s, he probably SELLS the data to other teams...

markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to have a full time analyst on the staff when Stahre was in charge. I posted this elsewhere, but during that time, a little bird told me that the analyst was running the half-time talks by showing the players analysis videos. I think we had gotten the guy from SAC, but I’d have to see if I saved any of those webpages...

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we change the title of this thread to: John Fisher Sucks Donkey Balls?

Quakes05, Beerking and falvo repped this.
  12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  14. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    didn't mean to quote myself

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose this is a good time for a periodic reminder that John Fisher has never had a role in Gap Inc., other than presumably owning a lot of stock.

16. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And some folks still think he's going to privately finance/build an A's ballpark at Howard Terminal..:laugh:!!! It's either the Coliseum or, if he still know the way... ;).

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, we went on a trip where a lawyer friend of Fisher's was one of the travelers. He told hubby that Fisher was making money off the A's, but that he was never going to pay for the new stadium himself.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was probably when MLB was still doing profit sharing.

19. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a LOT WORSE now that the A's are off of revenue sharing. True private financing of a sports stadia will never work in Oakland; with no huge corporate base or high disposable income needed for premium seating (see Warriors and Raiders). Would've worked (and still could) in $an Jo$e however.

bsman repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe they should move up the Peninsula and be the "Atherton A's"? 'Course, it would have to be like Wrigley Field (i.e. no lights for night games)...

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Fisher has always had his team on an abject failure trajectory. He's never been in this game to actually win, the Fisher legacy will forever be known as "The Fleecing of the Great Bay Area Soccer Loving Community."

It's been a sham since day one, it was obvious in 2008 we were going to be bare bones.

Since then, the league has moved onwards and upwards, the competition has become much tougher, ambitious new teams see SJ as nothing more than a speed bump, an easy 3. Fisher has made a laughingstock out of a once proud San Jose soccer legacy. I feel bad for the coaches and players, the fans and lower echelon FO staff, the investment and commitment to succeed is just not there, and with Fisher, it never has been...2005 was really the last time the Quakes were any sort of threat to win anything (I know, 2012, the year we were quickly and easily sent packing at home by Keane, Beckham & Donovan).

Our only hope is that he sells the team to someone who cares.

markmcf8, Beerking, Kaitlyn and 2 others repped this.
  22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest tax write off. Maybe he's racist and will open his mouth then be forced to sell, hopefully to the sharks owners.

Antonio2020, Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    We should thank him for the bare bones stadium and demand that he put the team on the market. He has no business owning an MLS team, he’s a drag on our team, the league and the growth of soccer in the US. Fisher is a sports fans nightmare. An indifferent, absentee owner who sets his team up to fail, season after miserable season. It’s a brutal situation for folks in
    San Jose who love the game and the team...

... and a damn shame.

:mad:

24. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wishful thinking here: but I still say Fisher should deed the Quakes to the Giants in order to finally move the A's to SJ (which is probably what he still really wants). Oakland isn't happening for a new ballpark, Quakes probably worth close to $300 million, and perhaps Giants ownership would actually care about the Quakes product.

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I don't know - orange and black for the Quakes would be a terrible reminder of the perfidy of AEG, MLS, and Don Garber...