The Official John J. Fisher ownership thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Mar 30, 2019.

?

John Fisher

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. should spend more money

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. should fire Fox and/or Fioranelli

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. should bring in additional owners

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. should sell the team

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. is not the problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. is doing a great job!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Somehow, every other referee in MLS manages both (1) never to have red-carded Wondo, and (2) to have a lower statistical red-card rate overall than Chris Penso.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I never yelled at a ref once, either. It's immaterial.

Congress-critters know not to publicly accuse their colleagues of treachery on the floor of the United States Senate. Yet, Chief Justice Roberts did not summarily ban Jerry Nadler from further participation in the President's impeachment trial, as he might have.

Discretion and common sense. It applies equally to refs as it does to players.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly did not say that at all or mean to imply it. For my time period, Soccer refereeing has been excellent. You can’t progress to MLS officiating unless you go through lots of training and mentoring. But you also don’t get there by analyzing and re-analyzing every word in the law. For you to argue a word or two here and there is not how refereeing works.

3 years ago, I became a girls HS lacrosse referee, and I was shocked at how insufficient the training was.

It’s the new referees starting today that are getting short-changed, as you would expect, when education moves from in-person to online.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All that is undoubtedly true. Referees don't get months to deliberate. They have to be decisive and rule in the moment. This makes common sense and sound discretion even more important to a soccer official than to a Supreme Court Justice.

The fact remains that Chris Penso is more red-card happy than any other MLS official. And he's the only one to have red-carded Wondo in his decade-plus career. (He's also red-carded Shea Salinas in the past. How many red-cards has that retrobate accumulated in his lengthy career?) What we can derive from these additional facts I've supplied is that Penso regularly and repeatedly chooses to err on the side of aggressive enforcement of the rules. This clearly evidences an injudicious temperament, rendering him unfit in my opinion.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Sorry, but that article is factually incorrect, since it only covers Sounders games. If you look at a sample of current MLS referees with around 100 or more MLS games, the numbers fall out like this:

upload_2020-1-26_19-56-44.png

So, while Penso is in the upper third, he isn't close to being THE MOST RC-happy MLS ref.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #481 don gagliardi, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Untrue. Below is from the March 2018 article I cited, which does not purport to cover only Sounders games. It's possible your list is more current, but I cannot know since you offer no source for your statistics. But, it appears I misread the 2018 chart -- Toledo had a higher red-card rate than Penso, who came in second in the rate of issuing reds and first among yellows.

. . . So, what if we bump up our sample size to include every MLS match a ref has ever worked? If we do that, then we’re given a much better data sample. Guzman Jr. has worked the fewest matches with 61, and the venerable Toledo tops out the range with 110 appearances. Most other referees are in the mid-80s range. [Emphasis added]

By tallying up the number of yellows and reds shown by a given referee, divided by his total number of appearances, we can determine who gives out the most yellow and red cards in a given match, on average.

Here’s the list:

[​IMG]

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Not sure where you're getting your information (I got mine from Transfermarkt), but you're way off on your matches! Baldo has way over 200 matches! Sorry, but whomever wrote that article is not being honest about their statistics. He has an axe to grind and is cherry-picking his data to fit his theory. My numbers are based on all of the MLS games ever refereed by each person listed. No cherry-picking, no hiding the truth.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I got my info from the link you quoted. I cannot attest to its accuracy, or its currency (it's two years old so certainly doesn't account for Penso's red card to Wondo or his one a couple months earlier to Houston's Ellis), but I'm not hiding anything. I still have not seen your link.

And you are, indeed, cherry-picking when you assemble a group of refs with "around 100 games" and include one with only 97 who just happens to have a higher red-card rate than Penso.

At any rate, this minutiae is all missing the forest for the trees, because it's obvious that Penso has a very short fuse.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don, you can really never admit being wrong for a second, can you? Are you sure that you and Falvo are, indeed, separate people and not twins?

:)

BTW - Penso is definitely not one of my favorite (or even top 10) MLS refs in terms of any criteria you may want to mention.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A couple posts above, in this very thread, I wrote: ". . . it appears I misread the 2018 chart -- Toledo had a higher red-card rate than Penso, who came in second in the rate of issuing reds and first among yellows."

bsman repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gary Singh is my witness. The three of us had lunch together at the kit-sponsor unveiling last week. :)

bsman repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You anticipated my next question: Forget the stats, I assume you know the guy. What's he really like?

Not surprised you don't like him. :)

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This should really be your tagline.

mjlee22, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  14. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they were douchebag RSL fans

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That's ELDER douchebag RSL fans!

DotMPP repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I detect some agism there, whippersnapper!

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually, I detected religious bias. :)

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, clever. I overlooked that. Well done Don!

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Imagine owning a sports team knowing damn well you've never given them what they need to succeed.

Johnny, San Jose deserves better.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Eddie DeBartolo Pardoned

Who knows - maybe he wants back into Bay Area sports? Perhaps HE could convince Fisher to sell!!!

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That’s great news!

DeBartolo Sr actually owned an MISL indoor team. Never knew if Eddie Jr ever wanted a soccer team or not..

22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh HELLL NOOOO

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pardon doesn’t actually make him innocent. Let’s not get into the politics of this, but I don’t see Eddie ever owning a sports team again.

GO Quakes!!

- Mark

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How about an acquittal? :)

oj gloves.jpg

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why now? He didn't need a pardon to get back into sports team ownership.