The Official John J. Fisher ownership thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Mar 30, 2019.

?

John Fisher

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. should spend more money

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. should fire Fox and/or Fioranelli

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. should bring in additional owners

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. should sell the team

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. is not the problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. is doing a great job!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Like she has any pull in getting Fisher out as owner.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    She doesn't have any pull in getting Fisher out as owner, but she's got some leverage right now because the A's are interested in playing at Oakland until 2028, when their new stadium is open. The reason is that they receive $67M from a TV contract if they stay in the Bay Area. My understanding is that the coliseum is public parternship between county and city, so she could presumably nix a deal if she wanted.

Here are her stipulations if they want to stay in Oakland past 2024 :) :thumbsup:. I'm sure she'd love to tell them to shove it. The only thing in the A's favor is that the city and the county also probably don't want to turn down money because that may not the best decision for their constituents. Revenge would be sweet but at the end of the day they probably need the money. In the meantime she can make acerbic statements in the press and to her constituents and it probably doesn't affect the negotiations. Fish has heard them all by now.

Oakland Mayor Sheng Thao has said the city would be open to extending the lease, but would expect concessions, which could include:

• A rent hike from this coming season’s $1.2 million. It has been speculated that Oakland would ask for a chunk of that $67 million per season the A’s would be saving by remaining in the Bay Area.

• The A’s agreeing to leave their team name and colors in Oakland when they move away.

• A guarantee from MLB that Oakland would receive an expansion team.

“It was a really positive meeting, and we are looking forward to additional conversations with the city and county to discuss a lease extension for the interim years,” said an A’s spokesperson.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/a-s-oakland-county-officials-positive-18669908.php

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ………… concerning, to say the least

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The full irony in all this is, the team is leaving, or threatening to leave and all of a sudden Oakland and its fans step up and have a voice. GTFO, that mayor of Oakland is a hack job.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, it would be criminal to accept $1.2M in rent so that the A’s can make $67M in broadcast revenue. As an elected official, I would tell Fisher, 50:50 split or go suck grapes. (Obviously this is why I would never run for any office.)

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well she’s saying we want a share and we want to keep the name and colors and we want a guarantee of a new franchise, etc. So do you want to play here or not? :)

don gagliardi and Goodsport repped this.
  7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Except The A's don't have the authority to authorize any of that regarding History or new team.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The A’s didn’t have the authority to move to Vegas, either. MLB is the real culprit.

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I spent six years in Idaho Falls and can attest that distances are much less meaningful to folks in the Intermountain region. We used to drive to Jackson, WY (90 miles one way) to buy beer (it was 3.2 in Idaho) or even just for the hell of it after work and a drive to SLC (abt 215 miles) was no big deal. Folks around there are used to driving distances and the chance to see major league baseball will be a big draw, I figure.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes but couldn’t the A’s file a lawsuit on that issue?

If the Raiders can move from Oakland to LA and back and then to Las Vegas, how can the MLB or anyone else prevent Fisher from moving the team?

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS owners met in Miami to discuss roster rules, potential for increased investments

MLS commissioner Don Garber recently restructured the makeup of multiple owner-led committees, including the sporting and competition group. Thirteen owners were in attendance in Miami. Longtime members of the committee remained, including co-chairs FC Dallas owner Clark Hunt and Vancouver Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot, managing director of Red Bull GmbH Oliver Mintzlaff, LAFC owner Larry Berg, Seattle Sounders owner Adrian Hanauer, Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson, Sporting Kansas City owner Mike Illig and City Football Group CEO Ferran Soriano.

New additions are Inter Miami owner Jorge Más, Austin FC owner Anthony Precourt, Philadelphia Union owner Jay Sugarman, Real Salt Lake’s Scott Krase and CF Montreal owner Joey Saputo. ​

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLB has an antitrust exemption.

As I recall, the City of San Jose filed a lawsuit to allow the A's to move to San Jose, which MLB fought and won. (As an aside, I remember talking with Mayor Sam Liccardo about this beforehand, and told him I thought the idea of a lawsuit was a loser because of the antitrust exemption, but he was gung ho and said the city had a great case.)

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes but then if this is the case, MLB is in fact allowing Fisher to move the A's to Vegas so I don't think anyone can block the move whether they want to or not.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLB is not merely allowing the move to Vegas, they have been cheerleading it, and may have even instigated it. The A's are moving to Vegas, rather than to San Jose or staying in Oakland, because that is what MLB wants. Which is why MLB is the culprit.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Manfred has made his disdain for Oakland clear in his public comments. It is pretty nauseating.

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad because A's fans love the team so much. If they ever got an owner with the pockets and ambition to bankroll a good stadium and a strong team, they'd be a great MLB market. Reminds me too much of the Warriors under Chris Cohan.

JazzyJ repped this.
  17. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Fisher isn’t exactly an innocent bystander who was blindsided by the Vegas move either, there’s at least some culpability on the ownership side

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longest active streaks without a winning season in American sports:
    NBA - Wizards - 5 Seasons
    NHL - Detroit - 7 Seasons
    MLB - Angels - 8 Seasons
    NFL - Jets - 8 Seasons
    MLS - San Jose Earthquakes - 10 seasons

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    in light of John Fisher and his hopelessly miserly ways it might be time to change our stadium song from

to...

seems so much more apropos.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How 'bout them Sharks?!

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    It's a race to the bottom in San Jose!

Probably a great time to find other things to do, that don't include San Jose sports.

Luckily, we live in a beautiful area with lots to do.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I always took the “never” in Never Say Die” to mean, I don’t know…never? If you are proposing to change out the song then you never understood it or never believed in it. :)

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I love the song; I think the Quakes are dishonoring it. Just like the legacy of the Quakes who came before 2008...they too are being dishonored by Fisher.

*no fault of the coaches and players since 2008, I might add.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I feel like the Quakes are dishonoring it only if the players and coaches give up. I haven’t seen that, with the possible exception of Matias Almeyda, 2022. As for the *composition* of the team we’ve always been the blue collar team / the Goonies / the cast-offs, the misfits. I’d like to see us get back to comeback wins. In my mind there’s no reason we can’t do it. We just need to start doing it.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know in the NFL or NBA, coming in last actually helps in the form of draft picks.

It used to help in MLS too.

Now , although you may be able to find talent , college players are hit and miss.

There is no more incentive or lure to finish last.