The Official JOB is 100% Fit Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FC Tallavana, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's great to see my fave NAT player healthy and back with his team. But I think the fact that we've already qualified means that the next match is low priority - a chance for Il Bruce to test out some new talent, perhaps giving EJ and Gooch starts, for example.

JOB is multi-talented on the field, but right now, he'll have to fight to get a spot on Ajax's starting eleven. Competitive minutes are really important right now - he won't get that in our next WCQ game.

I hope he'll be left in Holland for a while to continue to develop his game stamina and reinforce the skills we've always admired. That way, he'll be in top shape for when we need him in the Hex.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your lineup, except for the fact that I would probably put a much bigger player in the backline for Cherundolo if I were only going to play 3 in the back. (Gibbs, Gooch, etc.)

3. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Took the words literally right off my keyboard. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed or hoping. I'm just going to wait and see.

Good luck Johnny O.

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    He's a great player and will help us in midfield tremendously if he stays helathy for 2006. Still, I'd just let him work things out for a while at Ajax before calling him to the US. No need in taxing him too heavily and ending upo with him injured again. Just playing for his club for a good stretch of time is enough for him for now.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Alright, assuming he is 100% healthy again... and lets assume he never gets injured again... can we wait until he actually plays again to slot him into which ever position on the field the national team needs most?

Pre-injuries... JOB was one of the most technically gifted and composed players we had available... but he's been on the sidelines for quite some time while others have improved.

I want JOB to be as impressive as he was a couple years ago... but I'm going to have to wait a few games to believe he's really back.

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really??? Thanks for that suggestion.

One thought. Maybe that is what he should say.

I would also repeat that any theory that injuries are all random chance and some players are not more susceptible to them than others is highly suspect.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    :D

8. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    That was in a 3 man backline. Different bowl of oranges. I don't think that Boca is at his best at left-back in a 442. Even his own club coach (who plays him there) says that.

9. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    I like a midfield of

O'Brien ..... Donovan ..... Beasley

.............. Mastroeni ...............

10. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Aaahhh, the official JOB is 100% Fit thread. Shouldn't this thread go right along with the "See, Mathis is for real" thread?

11. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Is JOB the football equivalent of drummers for Spinal Tap? Will he die in a bizarre gardening accident, self-combust, or choke on vomit?

Hope he does well!

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He looked pretty darned good against Panama. Excellent, in fact. OK, it was only Panama, but I was pleasantly surprised at Boca's ability to support the attack out of the left back position.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The next time you respond to one of my posts, use this link to better understand what I wrote. :D

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IF Cowman is smart he will put O'Brien to LB and throw Maxwell in the midfield, although Cowman isn't that smart, so who knows?

15. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Ahhh? No. That was a 4-4-2. Did you watch the game? Did you see him pushing up the left wing? His cross for the goal?

I'll agree Boca is better as a CB but he is a fine LB, best left back available for the Nats.

JOB should play atleast one game before people say he's back. I read that he didn't even make the bench today. If he gets 20 1st team matches by the end of May and is still healthy then I'd consider him. Lets see him actually play again before he is penciled into any Nats lineups.

16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Let's see if you hold DMB, LD (when he returns to Bayer), Keller, Howard, Mathis, and Convey to the same criteria. Each of those guys are in (or may be soon) in club situations where they may or may not get a lot of playing time.

If JOB was with any team in MLS besides Dallas & Chicago he'd be getting ready for a play-off start this weekend. Would you still suggest that he "prove" he's capable for at least 20 more matches before he gets a cap?

17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    O'Brien is healthy enough to play and train, but until he starts playing regularly for Ajax (not the reserves!) he will not be considered match fit. That's still a way off. I've always liked John's play, but until he plays consistently and proves that his Achilles problem is behind him, he will barely be on Arena's radar.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I'll go out on a very short limb and say you're wrong on this one. IIRC...JOB was called in this past February for the Holland match even though he was just recovering from the Achilles. He would have probably started the match had he not pulled a hammy during the camp...IIRC.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    play him along side Reyna, stickm DMB and Donovan in front of him. Best midfield in CONCACAF, one of the more talented midfields in the world. period.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when JOB and Reyna are hurt on a regular basis and aren't match fit. Contrary to popular belief, we can't trot out players just returning from injury and expect that they play well enough to dominate opponents because of what they used to do when they were 100%. We would be better off with the midfield we had in the Panama game than to haul in Reyna and JOB the moment they are given the clearance by doctors to play.

21. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Come on, his club situation isn't the issue. The difference is his health, none of the guys you listed have ever had the kind of injury problems JOB has. I don't think anyone doubts that JOB is one of the best players for the Nats when healthy, but he has a difficult time staying healthy. I'm not saying he isn't capable of playing for the Nats if he's in form and healthy after 5 games. What I am saying is he is better off staying with Ajax for the rest of the season. He isn't needed here.

He's coming off an injury that he reportedly contemplated retiring from soccer over. He needs to prove that he can stay healthy for the rest of the season for him to even have a career. He doesn't need to be here.

Some people actually want to see him play against Jamaica next month? That makes sense? Let him get back into his club, get match fit, and back into form. Don't put more on him until he proves he's back. If he gets seriously injured again that would probably be it for Johnny. I don't care if we don't see him with the Nats for another 8 months. I'd rather Ajax and Arena take a cautious approach with him.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Let's see how much PT JOB gets between now and the start of the hex...

If he gets 6-10 1st team matches, I'd suspect Arena would bring him to a camp to get a look...

The key entering the February hex period is the MLS season isn't which heightens the likelihood euro performing players get the call...

so reyna and JOB....could form a box mid field with donovan and beasley, or throw lewis into the mix...

23. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
  24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    of course, your right

I was assuming both were fit and in-form