The Official Jared Shawlee Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by markmcf8, Dec 3, 2016.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comrades, it seems that Jared will be taking over a lot of DK's former responsibilities, including it might seem, listening to and responding to fuming fans.

Says he wants to "chat."

So I guess we'll be hassling Jared now instead of DK. (I feel badly for Jared in this regard. He's about to get ear and eyes full of crap from angry fans who are used to DK talking to them. I hope Dave warned him.)

The torch is passed.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

TyffaneeSue, QuietType, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He has yet to insult me, so he's already ahead of the game. :)

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    who is this Jared Shawlee and why should we care?

Seismothusiast repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

bsman, DotMPP and SeaJayBee repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's Mike Pence to Dave Kaval's Donald Trump. The president is in charge of outrageous tweets. The sidekick takes care of the rest.

sacrxy and DotMPP repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I took your advice - typed "something" in the box, and got this...Is that Jared on lead guitar?

Mglnbea, bsman, DotMPP and 1 other person repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jared Shawlee went to Cal Poly right before Paul Holocher was hired on as coach of their soccer team. I don't think he played there though. Maybe he played in HS the PAL, CYSA or AYSO leagues as he seems young enough.

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, AYSO has been around since the '70s (at least in Saratoga and Cupertino), I'm not sure I follow...

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Meaning does Jared Shawlee know or did he ever play the game?

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's immaterial. He's the COO, not the GM or coach.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #11 falvo, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    No it isn't and it has everything to do with it! Did he grow up with any knowledge of the game or does he know anything about it? If not , I think we are looking at another GM or president who doesn't know the game. We need quality people in management who know and understand the game and who can understand and spot talent. This is what happens in every team and league everywhere across the world and I don't see why it has to be different here. They want to go European and they are going to hire someone who never played , understand or know the game? What is so great about that?

Quakes05 repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    A little more on Jared based on a quick social media perusal. He went to Cal Poly (as previously mentioned) and then Notre Dame for MBA. Started in ticket sales for the A's and was very quickly promoted. I think he has been in the A's / Quakes org for quite some time.

So, never fear falvo. He has a solid baseball background, and that's close enough!! I mean, both balls are round, right?

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh yeah now I see the connection. I think Tony Meola played soccer and baseball too..

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I reiterate, Shawlee is not the GM, nor is he the president. So, we're not looking at another GM or president who doesn't know the game (assuming for sake of argument that Shawlee doesn't).

DotMPP, alexiskool1991 and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for his position, a U-11 AYSO career is more important than his MBA from Notre Dame?

DotMPP, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #16 falvo, Dec 3, 2016
    Who cares about having an MBA when you don't know the game? Did Eddie DeBartolo , Bill Walsh, and John McVay complete their MBA's during the 49ers heyday and en route to their 5 Super Bowls in 14 years? When your running a professional soccer franchise and your ultimate goal is to recognize and understand talented players who will help you win a championship, and an MBA from Notre Dame won't do you any good.

We need knowledgeable people who understand the game like everyone else in the world. I'm surprised there would even be a question about that.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't know about MBA, but I don't think guys like Eddie D. and Carmen Policy played the game, and there is no evidence they knew much about it, other than I suppose being fans at some level. Given that, and applying the "Falvo Rule" there was no way they were going to become successful!

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #18 falvo, Dec 3, 2016
    No but Eddie D was the owner who bought the club and surrounded himself with very knowledgeable people like Bill Walsh and John McVay who knew how to spot talent and who taught the coaches on how to coach the players. Carmen Policy came much later after the franchise already made 3 NFC Championship Games and won two Super Bowls in 4 years time. He also helped deal with the salary cap which was invented by the NFL for the sole reason to combat Eddie D's winning ways. He did it with help from former Wide Receiver Dwight Clark (who had a degree in mathematics and was a great player as well) but Policy never had anything to do with the team or picking the players. Not even close. He was also hired on because he was a close friend of Eddie DeBartolo and he ended up screwing him over later on. I'm sure Eddie regretted hiring him when it was all said and done.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jared Shawlee's job is business operations. He has nothing to do with finding or signing players.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jared identifies himself as a lifelong fan since the Clash days.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #21 falvo, Dec 3, 2016
    Again, I don't see how or why he shouldn't or wouldn't be involved in finding or signing players. How can a GM, president (or whatever his prestigious title is) of a professional soccer franchise not want to be directly involved with the one most important aspect of the club? My point is he and everyone else involved with the organization and/or the business operations of the Quakes should be very much involved, responsible and held accountable on what is going on with the team, starting with the players and coaches. I think their 7 out of 9 season record alone will tell you why this franchise is in dire need of that type of help. I don't see how anyone involved with the team or any one true fan wouldn't understand or recognize this.

Not a great sign especially since the Clash were crap worse than these guys.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Policy was team "president" I believe, after some years as VP and counsel. President is probably the role that Jared would assume if he were to be promoted. And Jared has been playing kind of a VP role I think with the Quakes. So, Policy to Jared or Policy to DKavs, for that matter, is roughly apples to apples.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's not his job.
    Because selling tickets, operating a stadium, selling sponsorships, etc., are also important and someone has to be in charge of that.

Yeah, who wants lifelong fans of the club around, anyway?

don gagliardi repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #24 falvo, Dec 3, 2016
    Therefore, if that is the case, he should be directly involved and having a say in the signing of talented players.I doubt the president would not want to be in charge in overseeing the single most important aspect of an organization. Why wouldn't any president of an organization not want capable people in his company?

It most definitely is his job and if it wasn't before, it should be very soon!
    You won't sell much tickets or sell many sponsorship with a crap team.

Fans? All I see is a half empty stadium.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    No, to the extent that the president has hiring control over the GM position (and clearly DKavs is driving it, though he may not be the sole approver), that should be his / her focus. Hire a good GM and let them run the technical side. In other words, the president's "say in the signing of talented players" should be indirect - you do it by hiring the best GM you can find.