The Official Jahmir Hyka thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 3, 2017.

1. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I just wanted to thank Stahre, again. He gave us the Hyka. This may not be a popular opinion, but I go to the games to be entertained as much as in expectation that we will win The Cup this year or next. I like watching Hyka play. I like watching Lima play. I like watching Vako. And TT. Maybe we should start rabble rousing on the TT thread? I like to watch him play, too. I can get excited about a 2-2 draw if the kids are playing.

JazzyJ repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You should tailgate. You will be entertained, and then during the game you can expect victory. :)

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liquid optimism!

It's one of the reasons they built the LOBINA.

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They fly non-chartered Southwest (team partner). I've actually run into the team at SJC all spread out at the gate.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    My problem is that I don't drink. It would help make some of the game easier to enjoy. But I do love hot dogs and pretzels... and soccer! So I have my stadium fun.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    100% aligned with that sentiment.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I actually flew back from LA with the team on a commercial United flight in August 2013. (Ironically, we were all returning from the game that I had originally been banned from as part of my "collective punishment" for something I didn't do.) Small puddle jumper plane. Just the team and a handful of others.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think you have to drink to enjoy tailgating. Lots of under-age kids seem to have fun at tailgates.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hyka done for the year... could we have already seen the last of him with the Quakes?

10. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following Tweeted Wednesday by Joe Soria

I couldn’t get it confirmed, but I was told Hyka’s option wasn’t picked up. #Quakes74

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised. With Almeyda saying he wanted to bring in a winger, and the rumor of the Chivas duo, Hyka's days were numbered.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise. He couldn't break the starting lineup on the worst team in the league, and when he did play, he disappeared in the second half of games far too often.

However, in his defense, he performed well at time when he combined with Vako and others in a short passing game. Unfortunately, we didn't see enough.

Good bye Albanian Messi!

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Dallas Burn are breathing a sigh of relief. :)

tectonicnight, jetdog9 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  15. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Oh no! My daughter was a huge fan. Her little voice screaming "Hyyyyyyka!" was one of the highlights of my season. And getting a picture with him was probably the highlight of the season for her. I was hoping he was the sort of player that they'd keep to build the right formation around. I hope he finds a good role somewhere, I think he has more quality than he could show in this situation.

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, worst part of the business. I recall one of Colin's kids, very little at the time, was a huge Brandon McDonald fan and was crushed to learn he was traded.

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyka was not as good this year as last, however, he didn't get the consistent minutes that he got last year, 900+ compared to 1800 plus. Ironically, he had 3 goals both years, but, 0 assists 2018, compared to 5 assists in 2017. What I could never fathom was why Eriksson saw the field so much compared to Hyka, (outside of our Swedish coach favoring his Swedish player).

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Compromising photos. :)

compromising photos.jpg

19. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    You comment in parenthesis explains it perfectly, our Swedish coach favoring his Swedish player.

20. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #220 staudio, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Quakes website has a video of Jahmir Hyka (& one from Jordan Stewart) reminiscing about some of their favorite games as a Quake.....Liked both of these guys......More often than not we (fans) don't get to really know what the players are like, but both these guys seemed to be well liked by their teammates and appeared to be good guys. Jahmir most recently is playing in the Israeli Premiere League.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...ck-his-golazo-against-fc-dallas?autoplay=true

QuakeAttack repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m trying to picture Hyka playing in Almeyda’s system and I believe he would have done well. Too bad he didn’t stick around longer...

staudio and davez repped this.
  22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting! I liked Hyka, but he just didn't seem to have consistency. A new coach may have helped him with the Quakes.

I liked Jordan the person, but I used to cringe watching him play. All heart and generally a good head for the game, but not much skill.

staudio repped this.
  23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He certainly wasn't an elite defender in MLS, but I think your recollection is a bit harsh. I'd take a peak Jordan Stewart over probably any of the current defenders on the team. Stewart had limitations, no question, but considering the current crop of guys don't seem to understand even the most basic principles of defending, I dunno.