The official Jackson Yueill thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsman repped this.
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still buzzing? Did he find Beerking's pipe?:p

bsman repped this.
  3. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess JY didn’t get called up for upcoming WC qualifiers.

Maybe that will light a fire in him and he gets back his game back on track…….I think not qualifying for the Olympics has shaken his confidence.

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In looking at the U-23 roster, why would not qualifying for the Olympics shake Yueill’s confidence more than it did a few other players? If anything, some of those players are doing even better now, right?

USA: 20-David Ochoa, 3-Henry Kessler, 4-Justen Glad, 6-Jackson Yueill (capt), 7-Jonathan Lewis (16-Jonny Cardoso, 88), 8-Djordje Mihailovic (10-Sebastian Saucedo, 46), 9-Jesús Ferreira, 13-Sam Vines, 15-Andrés Perea (19-Sebastian Soto, 62), 17-Aaron Herrera, 18-Hassani Dotson(11-Tanner Tessmann, 73)
    Subs not used: 1-JT Marcinkowski, 12-Matt Freese, 2-Julian Araujo, 5-Mauricio Pineda, 14-Benji Michel
    Head coach: Jason Kreis

I would assume JY went downhill after the senior call ups ended up making him the target of a lot of soccer twitter bad-mouthing.

staudio repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Good for us and I think good for Jack too. He can regroup and regain his form with a big run of club games. He’s already starting to get the hop back in his step. I would keep playing him in front of Remedi and Judson and push Chofis up to forward.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh crap, this feels like such a big mistake if Yueill gets on the field in Honduras. He has almost replaced Wondo as a term of derision - so many pundits and podcasters refer to poor play as being Yueill-like. It feels like a sacrificial lamb on Berhalter's part.

8. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we know he's not off the map for USMNT. I hope he plays and tears it up. Can't do any less than the team did against El Salvador and Canada.

9. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jackson took a lot of heat for not being proactive with his trademark seam splitting passing, but that issue was never fully his fault. The same situation exists with all the high end Euro players. It takes two to tango...a passer and a runner to pass to.. if there is no continuity up top making runs...which with no space is a given, what is the mid supposed to do?

I like the call to bring him in...he'll give everything he has, which is a lot more than I've seen from a handful of the guys on the current roster. I'm also, wondering if they will move Acosta to RB and let Yueill play with Adams in the middle.

Playing in Honduras is a legendary brutal place to play. People clamoring for a win or need to understand what a difficult task that is...

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I doubt Jack starts and likely he won’t play. He’s there for depth.

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  11. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, but it's a nice, visible vote of confidence from GB in Jackson. If Jackson is feeling like he is taking a beating from fans he will feel vindicated that his coach still has faith in him. Plus, he won't miss any games for the Quakes!

JazzyJ repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I figured that this thread would be best to continue the discussion as opposed to Almeyda’s.

In reference to Jackson Yueill, I agree he should go to Europe as he will not improve by staying with the Quakes or in MLS.

He has the potential to be a great player for both his club and the national team but staying in San Jose, he will stay and the same level that he is at now.

Being part of a European team with their environment, say in England, Germany, Spain or Italy will definitely give him a lot more discipline and tactical awareness.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I agree. Jack’s been with the team for at least 5 years now. He is kind of on the cusp US nats now. I think he needs to get out of his comfort zone and see if there is another level in his play. And if not, at least he tried and won’t spend the rest of his life wondering.

14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure that just going to any European team would result in this (not to mention that England isn't in Europe anymore as they officially rejected it) But the fit has to work for both club and player. We've seen good players come to MLS and fail miserably for many reasons. Just because there are higher profile teams and leagues abroad doesn't guarantee any individual player will develop into a better player there.

That said, I don't think Yueill is going to develop much more where he's at. I very cynically think he's already reached his peak. I hope I'm wrong in that, but I'm not seeing continuous improvement, or even consistent performances these days. Maybe with an offseason he can refocus and start an upward trajectory again, but I think we've seen what we're going to get from him.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #440 falvo, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    It depends on the team and the league.

Younger American players going to Europe is a lot different than older establish European or South American/Latin players coming to MLS.

Honestly, I think many of those players don't rate our league before they come but are very surprised when they get here.

In Europe or anywhere else for that matter, coaches and players are under constant scrutiny opposed to being here.

Almeyda for example, will have bene crucified if he were anywhere else but being here, no one (other than us) says much.

Everthing is different! From the tactics,coaching staff, game plans and competition which is everywhere and the reserves are just as good as the starters.

Also, the pressure from the fans, TV , Radio , Newspapers , getting promoted to an Europa or Champions League spot or even getting relegated seems to help younger players grow.

They won’t have any of that here.

I'm not saying MLS is an easy league by any means, its just different.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, I think even if the experience is not altogether positive or the particular situation is not ideal, it’s just that people tend to grow when subjected to change and new challenges.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some armband type speak here, from the Almeyda article posted on MLS yesterday:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Asked whether their coach’s uncertain future was an issue for the players, Quakes midfielder Jackson Yueill was even more bullish.

“This is our fourth year with Matias, and to be honest, the cohesiveness within the group, I don't think has been stronger,” said the US international, who has spent time in a deeper role almost akin to a center back’s in preseason. “We brought in some really, really good guys, guys with personality, who have been in MLS, who've been in a lot of locker rooms. Being here for a while and seeing how San Jose works, I think this is one of the stronger teams that we have.

“So we're not too focused on the outside noise and what's happening. Even the coach only speaks about day in and day out; we're getting ready for the game on Saturday.”
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    So much for the "Almeyda's gone by June" talk. I think he's here for the whole season and will make the best of it. And who knows, it might go better than expected.

20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Thank you Jackson.

21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It's not even clear to me that Jackson will get much minutes this year.

22. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think he's a lock starter and prime candidate to be captain.

23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    he had a poor year last year. I'm a JY fan too but he needs to be better. to be captain you need to first be leading on the field. he hasn't yet risen to that.

24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I want him to be those things, but not certain it will work out for him.
    One thing in his favor is that MA seems to like him a lot.

We have so many midfield options it's hard to predict who will rise to the top in 2022.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The idea that he had a “poor year” last year is overblown. But doesn’t help that he doesn’t have a consistent position under Almeyda. He’s an 8, no he’s a 6, no he’s a CB, no he’s a 10!