The Official J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS thread (2010)

Discussion in 'Football' started by otterulz, Apr 24, 2010.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jets just released pro-bowler Alan Faneca after drafting Vlad Ducasse yesterday in the second round. Now they traded up for the Seahawks 5th round pick to draft RB Joe McKnight out of USC. Unfortunately, the player traded is Leon Washington.

I sure as hell hope that Tannenbaum knows what he's doing. He's taking a risk by breaking up the best O-line in football.

Also, we know how multi-faceted Leon Washington was, not to mention loved by Jet fans. But his leg injury was probably why this happened. Shonn Greene better not have a sophomore slump and LT better turn back the clock, otherwise Rex's ground and pound will go out the window.

I don't know, the Leon trade I can sort of live with, but relying on the rook to replace Faneca is a bit more scary. Tanny, I trust you.

2. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I just saw this. I highly dislike both of these moves. Washington was going to be huge this season, and Ducasse (nor any of the other backups on the roster) can step into Faneca's shoes. Today was a BIG step back by the Jets. I know they are concerned about $$, but it's an uncapped season.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you on both counts. I just don't get them making these moves in an uncapped year, starting with the release of Thomas Jones. You had a guy who rushed for 1,400+ yards, is a vocal leader and you can't re-sign him?

Now they release a pro-bowler in Alan Faneca, breaking up a pro-bowl filled O-line because of money? Not to mention I assume Ducasse is going to play a huge role which is a gamble.

And they trade Leon Washington for another rookie drafted in the 5th round. Leon is highly respected and LOVED by Jet fans. I understand he's coming back from a huge injury but what if Shonn Greene has a sophomore slump? What if LT really is the LT we saw in the playoffs?

I don't know. Plus with all the headcases they added on to the team, do they have enough veteran presence to keep these guys in check? I just don't know.

4. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind taking a shot with a younger player like McKnight because who knows how Leon will rebound after the injury he had. But I really hate the Faneca move. The o-line was a huge strength for this team and if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's an uncapped year, but if they are worried about money they should've just released Faneca after this year. These moves do not make this team better IMO.

5. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not totally behind the moves, but I kind of understand what they are doing.
    they are trying to shed age and $$$.
    with Leon, I definitely liked him, but who knows if he might have lost a step with the injury.
    I think with Greed, McKnight, and Tomlinson, our RB corps is pretty solid.
    and as far as Leon on special teams, I think that CB we drafted from Boise State is also a return guy, so he shouls be able to pick up the slack there.

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they drafted McKnight partly because he's versatile too. I did see some Kyle Wilson highlights up on YouTube and like you said, he did do some kick-returns.

My biggest issue is what the team chemistry will be like. I think they're talented enough on paper but they lost some real leaders on the team and seem to have only added head cases. I may be wrong but I see "diva" written all over Jason Taylor. And I have a feeling that Jet fans aren't going to be the most patient with him.

All I know is, Hard Knocks is going to be damn interesting this season.

7. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Joe Mcknight will be a solid back. I remember how he was the top RB coming out of highschool and was considered to be like another Bush. Him and Greene for the future looks really good for the J-E-T-S.

Wilson will be another stud like Revis. He should have gone in the top 20 and defiantly over Kareem Jackson from Alabama but with some character issues, teams passed on him. But not Rex :)

I can see LT really helping these young backs. He knows he's got about 2 years left and really wants that ring. I believe he doesn't give a shit about being the feature back anymore and just wants to win. Greene will be the workhorse next year so he better be ready to go. He can expect 15-20 touches a game. I think you'll see LT mostly for the redzone and inside the 5. He's money everytime he touches it inside the 5 yard line.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    It may be sentimentality talking, but I REALLY hope the Jets bring in Kevin Mawae and shift him over to the vacant left guard opening on the O-Line. He's a good, veteran leader. He's a pro-bowler. He'd be a great mentor to these young guys on the line.

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has he ever played anything other than center?
    not sure how easy/difficult of a transition it would be for him.

11. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Not that I know of, but it's not unheard of for an older center to shift over to one of the guard positions. Plus, I would have more confidence with Mawae in that spot than a rookie who has been described by almost everyone as a "project."

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting thought. Ideally, Mawae will still not have any offers on the table while training camp is in full swing so the Jets know what they have with Ducasse. If they could get him on the cheap and Ducasse is still a year or two away, I don't see why not.

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm alone but does anyone else think that Darrelle Revis is being a little bitch? Maybe I don't know the full details but I feel like he's holding the team to their word, which was a stupid word to begin with. I don't think he's realistically looking at the situation and trying to put things in perspective.

Mangold is also on the fence and he's starting to voice his displeasure, although still not as bad as Revis. This could make for one interesting season of Hard Knocks while having the possibility of watching our season and awesome team chemistry implode in our faces.

14. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It's all Rex Ryan's fault tbh. He opened his mouth all year long about how he has the best player on defense, how nobody can match up to Revis and how he's never coached a defensive player like him. When your coach goes off like that than you have to expect the player to want his money. Revis is being told he's the best so he needs to be paid like the best. It's good business on Revis's part.

But I can understand Jet fans wanting Revis to shut up and just play.

15. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH, I don't fault Rex. He's sticking up for one of his guys and deservedly so. I think it really falls to Tanny saying that he would renegotiate his contract and that he does deserve to be the highest paid corner. I think where Revis got upset is that he expects at least Asomugha money and the Jets haven't offered anything close (at least according to him). I believe the latest offer didn't even have any guaranteed money.

I don't blame Tanny for not wanting to give into Revis' demands because I don't think any CB should get $16M. That was just another stupid contract given by Al Davis. But I blame Tanny for setting those expectations for Revis. Now Revis feels that the FO is going back on their word, which does not sit pretty with him. However, I think that he should curb his expectations and realize that the Asomugha deal is an abberation given by a senile old man. Of course, with the modern athlete today, I shouldn't expect that.

16. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've discovered that from 7pm-10pm, I will have to attend some event during our National Sales Meeting down in Williamsburg, VA. It's a clam bake, which I'm excited for, but I can't miss the first friggin game of the season. Hopefully me and all my Jet fan co-workers can sneak off to the hotel bar and watch.

Anyway, very excited about this season. Now that Revis is back, I'm damn anxious to see what opposing teams are gonna do, lining up against Revis and Cro. Plus Kyle Wilson, has been mentioned as a nickel back so that's one scary secondary to deal with. Not to mention big Kris Jenkins is back and healthy.

I'm definitely a lot more worried about offense. Sanchez looked good against the G-Men but has looked like the same rook from last season. I'm nervous about the running game and the wideouts haven't exactly had a lot of looks either.

We shall see though.

17. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Jets fan you learn to manage expectations. This year reminds a lot of 2005 when the Jets came off a great playoff run, came into the season with great expectations and then Pennington got hurt and they went 4-12. I don't expect them to be that bad but its going to be incredibly hard to live up to the hype.

I'm happy that everybody came to their senses and got the Revis deal done. The offense is the biggest worry. They want to ground and pound but Greene is unproven, LT is old, and McKnight coughs up the ball too much. I really think they will regret cutting Thomas Jones. Sanchez is the key though. If he can step his game up and continue to improve, it will carry this team.

They have to get it together soon cause the first 3 games are tough and really important. Can't wait for the season to start and hopefully the Jets won't let us down like they always do.

18. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The biggest regret the Jets will have is letting go of Alan Faneca. They have no LG now and they are going to rely on Slauson and the rookie Vlad all year long. That can be a huge problem for Sanchez and the running game this year.

19. PedroCerrano13

May 15, 2010
    Spearmint Rhino LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We aren't gonna win many games if our defense is out there that long and we can't score touchdowns on turnovers..

20. Clipse

Clipse New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Toronto
    Sanchez is god awful.

21. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with the dumb penalties and not being able to get off the field on third down, the defense and special teams gave them every opportunity to win.

This offense is just disgraceful. Not even trying to get the ball sown the field. So many checkdowns. Nobody stepping up at all. The only offensive player that looked good our there was LT. Was Braylon Edwards even on the field? Greene can't stop fumbling and the o-line had too many false starts and Sanchez seemed to be under pressure all the time. If you get the ball so deep in the opposing half and you go 3 and out twice you're not gonna win many games.

And on top of that Jenkins is hurt. I am not looking forward to the game against the Pats next week.

22. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5571834

More great news, Jenkins out for the year. It's amazing that he is hurt all the time even going back to his Carolina days. Fell really bad for the guy.

I never really bought into the Jets hype, but I expected a better effort than what we got last night. I'm afraid to think how bad it will be against the Pats.

23. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing win tonight! This Jets team was far different from what we saw on Monday. The defense and offense was struggling in the beginning but they really stepped it up. Sanchez was hitting his receivers and the defense was able to pressure Brady. Thankfully, the stupid penalties were made by the other team this time.

LT looked amazing and Braylon and Cotch both got their first TDs of the season. And it's nice to see that the connection between Keller and Sanchez is still alive.

Hopefully Revis' hammy will be fine. You could tell that he wasn't at 100%. But you do have to admit that the Moss one-handed grab was a beaut.

Week 3 will be the 2-0 Fins down in Miami. Remember that the Fins swept us last season in what were very close games. Hopefully the same Jets team shows up from today.

24. PedroCerrano13

May 15, 2010
    Spearmint Rhino LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yesterday showed what this team can be if they stop playing so fuking conservative. Mix it up and Sanchez throws for 3 touchdowns. We saw yesterday that Miami isn't very good against the run as Peterson got 145 yards and a touchdown plus our recievers are better than Minnesota's. The key will be if Cromartie can lock up Brandon Marshall since we most likely won't have Revis for this game. I see the Jets beating them by 10. :D