The Official Ian Russell Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the only thing I could find was 'The Official Ian Russell Sucks Thread'... I think its appropriate we have one of these.

This interview is from the pre-season 2020, but I love his calming demeanor he's very confident in the way he talks, he doesn't over hype or talk about something or someone. He brings confidence a head coach should have. He also has plans for replacing players and putting in the time to make sure they FIND the right players instead of just players.

I truly hope we get blessed with him as our coach sooner rather then later.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/nsn-dail...chat-with-reno-1868-fc-head-coach-ian-russell

markmcf8 and 2in10 repped this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm guessing that Ian's involvement with the team predates the official player threads.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this board, my son attended Ian's camps. Ian is not the stereotypical bombastic coach with a little too much ego -- he's one of those positive, nurturing guys, which I think the interview captures well. He's got a nice niche where he is, and he may not be that interested in dealing with league politics and owners and other issues. I'm sure the head coach proposition has come up now and then.

markmcf8, bsman and 2in10 repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I do wish that he will become the next head coach, but I’m not adamant that Almeyda has to go now. I’m also not sure I would want Jesse as GM with Russell at head coach. I don’t feel Jesse values domestic players and Ian has shown that he does.

I know several posters on this board have had chats and conversations with Ian over the years and most report he was a nice guy but didn’t strike them as a “soccer genius”.

I had low expectations of him when he went to Reno but he has impressed me with his hard work. I’d like to see better playoff results, but he has built successful teams that have played attractive soccer with a revolving door of players and he’s had to deal with interference from the Quakes about roster selections and playing guest players.

I do like the fact he’s been mentored by the Yallop/Watson/Kinnear AND the Almeyda coaching tree. He can take the best things from all the guys he’s worked under and add his own ideas.

He seems to have an encyclopedia knowledge of players. I suspect his super power is his scouting ability and contacts. He knows the type of guys that can fit in his system and he’s been pretty good at recruiting them to play for him.

He has coached one official MLS game after Watson was fired. It was a tie....

Sactown Soccer and Kaitlyn repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but I don't think you have to be a genius or mad scientist to become a very good coach. Yallop was better with Kinnear, he never found the success he had while he had a good deputy with him. That may be the case with Ian. Other good coaches are better with a good cast around them too. Ian could also just be so laid back he doesn't come off as a 'genius' but he's getting the job done. Having an encyclopedia of knowledge of players, leagues and systems and ability to learn and adapt, I like that a lot.

I want Almeyda fired based off our performance, I respect him, I love Almeyda and respect him, but in this business people come and go. But I am ALSO curious if there is a big language barrier between Fioranelli, Almeyda and players. I can understand the difficulties when translators are used.

I think Leitch and Almeyda would work better together, the biggest problem we've had is Fioranelli and John Doyle. Both guys have been incompetent for the job. I'd like to see a hybrid job where the coach is also the GM, like Vermes and Arena.

I bet we fire Letich before Fioranelli #Facepalm

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t believe that would happen. I suspect Leitch is very much liked by Dave Kaval and by extension, John Fisher. He’s willingly filled in wherever they have asked and has never to my knowledge complained when tasked with something new.

I think the things he touches improve. I’ve heard the story on Big Soccer that he wasn’t really passionate about being a head coach, that he only agreed to do it until a replacement could be hired. I bet that’s more because he’s smart enough to realize coaches have a short job expectancy and he’d rather not be uprooting his family to move around the country. I think he’s got more job security than almost anyone in the organization.

As an aside, I spent a lot of last fall/winter going to Quake academy home games. Chris Leitch was out watching constantly. He sat next to Bruno Costa and watched most of the U-15,U-17 and U-19 games. Even on Quake game days when I know he had to have been at the stadium all night as well. His time commitment to the academy was very impressive. He would talk with players on occasion, but I never witnessed him undercutting the coaches. He would walk over at halftime and listen to instructions and then have brief chats with the coaches right before the second half started. Jesse, on the other hand, was there once to see the U-15s play, then I think he left at halftime of the U-17 game after having mostly not paid attention to that game because he was chatting with a couple of U-15 players. I never saw Almeyda at any game, but I didn’t go to a U-19 game against De Anza Force that was played at Avaya. I head Almeyda watched some of it, but was approached by parents (fans?) and moved on.

QuakeAttack and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a similar story from a friend within the team at the time. Letich is very smart.

Leitch's dedication to the Earthquakes is amazing. His career was some what resurrected with us and he brought a lot to the table as a right back. Far superior to Tim Ward. He and Beitashour were the best we've had since Waibel. But for him to retire from playing rather then go to the Galaxy and win 2 cups, speaks volumes to me and I hope he continues to do well within our system.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He likes it here. He wants success as bad as anyone.

I heard from academy parents that when Paul Holocher was running the academy, he had set up affiliations with club teams (not DA) that were using the Quakes connection name to attract sign ups. These clubs were recommending players to Paul for the academy, but the ones being sent by DOCs and coaches were rich white kids with marginal soccer skills. It almost looked like a Lori Loughlin situation where parents were padding the soccer resumes of players. When Holocher left, Chris Leitch started looking into those affiliations and realized the Quakes were getting poor players and giving free tickets to rich families so he cut ties with them and shifted to other leagues and teams that had stronger players (like Salinas and Napa).

Those changes have helped San Jose recruit more Hispanic players with noticeably better skills and soccer IQ. The academy teams across the board greatly improved last year and featured much more diversity then past seasons. I hope the Quakes keep this up because I’ve also talked to top coaches who were actively steering good players away from joining the academy and this summer those guys have started to discuss working with Leitch and company to build out a pipeline for their very best. If this happens, SJ will jump up another level in the academy.

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it for years Holocher is a scam artist. Problem with a lot of youth soccer is as you said, money money money. Coaches focus too much on winning rather then development and politics is so big in youth soccer its disgusting.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Russell's Reno teams have been reliably fun to watch. And they get results. With the Quakes current situation, I look forward to Reno matches more at present. They need to find a way to do better in playoffs though.

Kaitlyn and 2in10 repped this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my experience around Ian, he is quiet with the fans, seemingly almost shy, definitely modest, makes it all about the players when it is going well and takes the blame when it is going wrong. He doesn't go for hyperbole, good or bad, he downplays the extremes. We had a nice team meet and greet this year and Ian was very accessible to all as he has been at all of the previous ones. He doesn't strike me as one to spill any information that is not agreed to be released. He does have a doghouse for players who get on his bad side but the players can work themselves out it if they wish.

11. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have seemed to come into the playoffs with injuries or in bad form except in 2018 when we ran into a hot OC team. The goals in the games of 2017 and 2018 were very good goals where the keeper had no chance to get to them. Hopefully this is the year that it all comes and stays together.

12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 2in10, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Ian's record with 1868 to today 9-23-2020, including playoffs, is 62W-29L-26D.
    The Quakes are responsible for the on field product and staff completely now. 1868 is responsible for FO and the administration only including facilities.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet they've still endured losses? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2in10 repped this.
  14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be playoffs. We accuse the refs of receiving payoffs from the other teams all of the time. Must have got them mixed up. /S

Goodsport repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've refereed a number of youth games Ian coached, and he was always even-keeled, positive with his kids, and polite to the refs. All-around great guy.

2in10 repped this.
  16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If Reno runs the table at the end of the season, they will have the most points in USL and be number one seed. If they win at home in the playoffs, they will be USL Champions. Someone in MLS will hire Ian to run their team if this happens....

17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm almost certain Ian is on the radar for some clubs. It wouldn't surprise me if Red Bull New York came knocking, Imagine what he could do with there bank roll and his encyclopedia of knowledge of soccer?... DC United may also finally look for a coach.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nope - not gonna happen as long as Fioranelli is in charge. He has no respect for MLS, as has been shown in his selections both on the coaching and playing side. If Fioranelli is shown the door (as he should be) we may actually get the combination many here have been calling for: Leitch and Ian.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Using the man to man system and maybe #1 seed in playoffs. Credit to Russell.

2in10 repped this.
  21. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno plays man to man? Doesn't seem like it whenever I watch their game? Or it is man-mark but modified to fit what Ian wants?

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’m not sure that Ian plays it exactly like Almeyda does. What I do know is Ian stated in the middle of last year the team was transitioning into a new man marking system. Russell was preparing players that the Quakes could sign and the players would know the system. Reno struggled for a while, but they still finished high on the table.

This is one of the reasons that I’m advocating that Ian be the next Quakes coach. He can now teach and play multiple systems, including some type of hybrid. He did what he called a “major” roster overhaul during the past offseason. He was looking for a group of players that had the specific skills to play man marking. How impressive is it that he not only found the guys to learn and play the system, but the team might end up #1 in points? Some of the competing USL teams have MLS ambitions. Ian is doing this on a much lower budget.

23. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say it is Ian Russell modified. Players seem to switch if the opponent tries to scrub off the defender, they lay off a little bit more than SJ but still attack if possible when the opponent gets the ball. It really doesn't look a whole lot different from what we played before the transition except there is no zone shift when the ball switches side to side and the defense picking up an opponent, their assigned opponent, much quicker.

Sactown Soccer and bobby_guzman repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    With the likely announcement soon that MLS will field U-23 teams in a reserve league set up next year, added to the rumors that the Quake’s affiliate agreement with Reno expires at the end of the year and the Reno 1868 team owner is looking to sell the team, that means that Ian Russell could be in for a change of scenery soon.

I haven’t heard any rumors of his name on lists to replace MLS coaches (Galaxy fans think Dominic Kinnear is in consideration for DC United).

I certainly hope the Quakes keep Russell in the organization. He has been very successful with Reno and his roster building year to year has been impressive to watch.

25. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull fans said his name was popped around until they hired there new man.

I've heard Kinnear to DC, I wouldn't doubt if Reno wins the season, Ian gets some looks for fired coaches spots.

I doubt Ian leaves Reno to coach a Jobber reserve team. I suspect like the old league, reserve coaches will be our assistants.