The Official Ian Russell is horrible thread.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Richter Boy, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    God that guy sucks. His first touch is bad, his second worse. If he shoots, it goes straight at the goalie. He is like Conteh, all speed- no game.

Discuss.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And he whines like Lazzizi..

3. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No wait thats that other Donavan guy..

4. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I happen to luv Ian....or better known as Bling Bling. He may not be a great player, but you have to admit...his crosses have at least gotten better. Before, he would shank every single one of them...now he at least gets them across the face of the goal. Give him soe more time and maybe he'll hit a payer on our team.....

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year he was pretty decent, even quite good on occasion. He really came into his own.

This year, especially since his injury, he has sucked. There's a black hole out on the right wing most games and it's hurting the Quakes, no doubt.

6. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He got the Mexican West Nile Virus and his skills died..

7. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Funny thing is.....You could be talking about Lagos too. :(

8. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Both of them are killing us!

9. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    I agree. At least Lagos is old- what is Ian's excuse???

10. megs2

megs2 New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Missouri
    O-, but he's soooo cute!

11. kemari

kemari New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    They are playing as good as last year, but the level of MLS has gotten better.

Lagos reads the play well, but he is too slow. Ian is fast, but not much skill or vision. Several years, they could have been good enough for U.S. Nat. But now they are struggling in MLS. We are getting much, much better quality players. We should be happy about the level of improvements in the US soccer.

12. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Trade Russell and Lagos for Ralston.. Next year..

13. drewb

drewb Member

Jul 11, 2001
    S'vale
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manny's not going anywhere. He has a lot more going on between his ears than Russel. Manny is continuously calculating his position and those of the other players. He sees the runs into spaces, re-calculates and, then delivers. He gets off shots around the box that force opposing defenders to pay attention.

Manny had a career season last year, and hasn't made those numbers this year, but he's still a workhorse on both ends, and he still has the skills and experience. Consider his assist last weekend. Though just a short pass to the feet, it was brilliant. Only that pass, delivered with that pace, flatness, and depth allowed LD to take it at speed through the defense. The recognition of positioning and personnel was performed in milliseconds and led to LD being able to exploit his abilities and put the ball away.

Ian has never had that quick recognition and delivery capability. It's hard when your eyes are trying to find which foot you left the ball on. I think Ian's problem is that he's never learned to deal with defenders who can close him down. (I doubt Manny has ever had met one who couldn't). Ian needs to learn the "trading space for time" equation that Manny has mastered. Once he gets that, he'll be able to exploit his first step again.

Thinking about trading space for time, notice how Landon checks back a lot. He doesn't always try to turn. He allows defenders to close him down and, somehow, it never frustrates him when he's forced to turn out or back up the touchline. I think he's one of the most patient attacking players I've seen in this league. He's also crafty in that he knows when to mix in some explosive moves. Taken by itself, the move on Pope last week wasn't that great. What made it great was that Pope had been turning him out throughout the first half and into the second. Then suddenly, bam. A (too) long square touch and an explosive cut and the next thing you know, he's a step or two inside Eddie and he bashes one in.

14. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Agreed, that's why I say replace Russell and not Lagos. I still hold out hope for Lagos to return to form. Russell is done. Maybe Russell should have went with Bower and Roner up north to work on his creativity.

15. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When Russell first came on our stage I thought he had a lot of potential. He even used to score goals. Now that he has recovered from his injuries it seems apparent that he has plateaued, and at a level less than his comrades. I have confidence in Yallop, so I suppose if more could be coaxed from Russell it would have already happened. It makes me a little sad, but perhaps he is no longer right for the team. It's especially melancholy since he still plays better than quite a few players on the Clash did and therefore isn't "horrible." I guess it's all relative and shows the strength of our other players these past two years.

16. tink17217

tink17217 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    YOU ALL HAVE TO ADMIT HE IS FAST!!!

17. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    In DC, Quakes lead 2-1......Russell subs in in the 67th minute for Lagos. Lagos was actually playing better than usual, so I did question this move at the time. After that sub DC scores 3 goals and Quakes score none. Coincidence???.....I think not.

18. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that either one of them is playing as well as they were last year. Manny had a career year last year and seems to be regaining his form, Ian has just not had it this year after returning from injury. I agree that the MLS has improved this year, but not so much that it explains Ian's play.

19. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Conteh was fast, but crap too !

20. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    Well done, ruud boy.

Maurice Green is fast, but that does not mean he would be a good soccer player.

Goodsport is old, but that does not mean he is good at shuffleboard.

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What are you talking about???

MoG, as I like to call him, was one of the best ballas of all time!!!! Yo!!!

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis!