News: The Official "I Voted" Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Q*bert Jones III, Oct 21, 2020.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Of course. I'm not a sucker.

xtomx and crazypete13 repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

[​IMG]
    . HAIL GRIMES .

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been regular text messages to vote for Biden...from Arizona. I haven't live in Arizona for more than 10 years,

bigredfutbol and xtomx repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So, I have 10 more years of this??? :eek:

"Text 'STOP' to _____" is your friend in those cases.:thumbsup:

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done that 3 or 4 times. I'm on some list which keeps getting passed around. And somehow they think my name is Lori.

I do know that somebody somewhere entered an incorrect number. Right after I moved from Az, I got a lot of calls about selling my house (I never owned a house in 'zona). Turned out that somebody had passed along a number in which the person's number was 1 digit different form mine, and that digit was just below mine on the keypad.

xtomx repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted today today at the Jane Lawton Community Recreation Center
    in Chevy Chase, MD. Easy peasy.....Quick ,efficient, well organized, plenty of volunteers and clean and well run facilities. I was in and out in 15 min.
    I voted in the spirit of RBG, John Lewis and Elijah Cummings, my parents and ancestors. I voted to support minorities, women, LGBTQs, immigrants and dreamers.

NORML, onefineesq, soccernutter and 7 others repped this.
  7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59 minutes to vote in Long Island City -- longer than the wait for Obama in '08 in Williamsburg. Have a friend who had a 4.5-hour line on the Upper East Side yesterday.

New York's never turned out like this.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I voted.

I felt it would have been more satisfying if there was some some racist piece of trash in a red hat to kick in the nuts as you walk out the door.

9. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    I voted this morning and took my 4 adult kids with me in MD. We were there 10 minutes before 7am and we were out by 7:15. Felt really good, hoping for a great BLUE wave on Tuesday.

Funkfoot, NORML, charlie15 and 6 others repped this.
  10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voted two or three weeks ago here in VA. My wife and son followed a few days later.

NORML, soccernutter, Matrim55 and 2 others repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you vote in Md?

crazypete13 repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got another one. The person on the other end says I'm on some voter role. Unbelievable.

xtomx repped this.
  13. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    I live in Olney, MD. The site closest to me was the Sandy Spring Fire Department.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    My wife and I voted yesterday evening with our two kids in tow. We have 4 in person absentee locations in the city (so one per roughly 75,000 residents). It took us over an hour to get through the line. Maybe 100 people in front of us. Much worse than it would have been if we didn’t show up at 5:30 on one of the two days per week they extend hours to 7pm.

I hate judge retentions on the ballot btw. 25 of those on a ballot is a time waster. Leave em blank if you have no idea.

Also: for any women or the women in your lives, a good “election shirt”. The poll worker told my wife, “I see what you did there” with a smile.

https://www.funnyordie.com/2019/11/...tives-ruth-bader-ginsburg-leopard-print-shirt

Also also:

This is the worst ballot initiative language I have ever seen on my ballot and quite possibly the longest sentence I have encountered anywhere:

Should Chapter 23 of the Revised Code of the City of St. Louis be amended to impose a gross receipts tax of seven and one half percent of the gross receipts obtained from Telecommunications Providers, which are and include every entity now or hereafter engaged in a general telecommunication business in the City, providing telecommunication, telecommunications exchange, or local, toll, or long distance, telephone service to its customers with a service or billing address within the St. Louis City limits; and Fiber Networks Providers, which are and include every entity now or hereafter engaged in providing fiber networks, built whole or in part in the City's public right of way, which are not internet or service providers subject to franchise fees, to customers and other users of fiber networks?

NORML, soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    TL : DR

chaski, Dr. Wankler and Chicago76 repped this.
  16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, you haven't had to deal with California proposition's. This wouldn't even had made the top ten.

soccernutter and spejic repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That would be my vote.

18. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    IKR.

They spent about 50% of the length Gettysburg address in one sentence to ask if we want a telecom tax to fund digital infrastructure improvements.

19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Ballot question writers don't have editors.

20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The poutine stains on your shirt would have been sufficient! :whistling:

21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Interestingly, this was the recommendation of the local paper’s editorial board. Vote no because the question sucks:

Then there’s Proposition T, a 129-word, almost incomprehensible single sentence that asks voters to approve a gross-receipts tax on fiber-optics telecommunications providers as an incentive to encourage fiber-optics expansion. The idea is good, but the actual ballot language is likely to leave voters confused and bewildered. We recommend voting no on Prop T because the authors don’t deserve to be rewarded for introducing such ridiculous phrasing on a general election ballot where the bulk of voters don’t hold doctoral degrees in linguistics.

22. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Illinois doesn't usually have a lot of ballot issues for voters to decide, but when it does, the Secretary of State sends each household a pamphlet explaining the ballot issue and provides pros and cons for each measure so people can make an informed choice. I don't know how long the state has been doing this, but I like it. I got mine about a month ago, just before early voting and mail-in voting began here.

23. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    That was my experience in IL as well. Our initiatives come in two flavors:

municipal: any new tax, fund, privatization or lease of an asset of a certain value must have an initiative per home rule charter.

state: we have horribly lax dark money restrictions here. So libertarian robber baron types fund a boatload of ballot initiatives.

As a rule, I hate them. We elect officials to make hard choices requiring a lot of information so we don’t have to. Because the public can be pretty dumb.

24. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough! I voted quite some time ago, and I voted 'Yes' on this year's proposal to have Illinois switch from a flat rate to a progressive rate on its income tax. The 'No' campaign keeps stating that if the proposal passes, the General Assembly will usher in a whole swath of new tax policies, including taxing retiree benefits. The misleading, and I think, stupid part of that argument is that the General Assembly has the power to do all that now anyway. It can approve new taxes and abolish old ones, as well as raising and lowering any current taxes and fees as it sees fit. Illinois lawmakers raised the income tax rate several years ago, and it cost Pat Quinn his job as Governor, then we got 4 years of Bruce Rauner which got us nowhere. And yes, I do not underestimate the stupidity of people who vote. Sometimes I think of what we could be doing as a society now to benefit today's populace, but we don't because of things voters approved or disapproved many elections ago.

25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The Director applauded your enthusiastic support but when it comes to getting any grift your share will be minus $87.99 +S&H. It's a perfect fit for your AK-47

[​IMG]

spejic repped this.