The Official Golden State Warriors thread (2004-2005 Season)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Goodsport, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! :)

Unlike the Quakes of the past few years, the Warriors of the past decade have had several individual stars (Sprewell, Arenas, Richardson, etc.) but no actual "team". So the fact that they're now hustling as a team is made all the more remarkable now that they possess a full All-Star starting backcourt in Jason Richardson and Baron Davis. :eek:

Hopefully the Warriors can now continue to build around that tandem, and considering that the guy now calling the shots for player moves was the on-court leader of the last actual Warriors "team" (Chris Mullin), the Warriors' future finally looks optimistic despite what DevilDave wishes.

That's a good question, though it seems that the Warriors will finally have the cap room to have that option... something they didn't have when it was time to re-sign Gilbert Arenas or lose him a few years ago. :(

Then again, it seems that once Davis joined the team, several of the peripheral players (like Biedrins, Pietrus, etc.) began playing better. I guess we'll know by the end of the season which direction the Warriors decide to go.

-G

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I sort of regret what I posted on the spur of the moment after the game... :eek:

After some reflection, it might actually be a GOOD thing that the Warriors are doing well. I could appreciate seeing the two Northern California NBA franchises in the ascendancy while the L.A. Lakers are in decline... so long as the Kings can rebound from the setbacks that have plagued us this season. I still have faith in Kings GM Geoff Petrie to make the right moves to get us back on track next season.

Wouldn't it be something if both Sacramento and Golden State were in the playoffs in 2006? Wouldn't it be GREAT if there were an all-NorCal duel in the Western Conference Playoffs? It definitely oculd happen. In places "on the border" like Vallejo, Fairfield, Benicia and Vacaville, you'd have Kings fans and Warriors fans who live and work side by side talking trash. Sac-area transplants in the Bay and Bay Area transplants here in Sactown would be making noise in the other team's building.

The thing I DON'T want is a return to the way things were back in the late '80s/early '90s when the balance of power was firmly in Oaktown and the Kings were the doormats of the entire league. We Sacramento fans have become spoiled in the last few years; this town would become a giant bitter lemon without playoff basketball every year.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine if Golden State and Sacramento met in a future NBA Western Conference Finals. :eek:

Heck, imagine if the San Jose Earthquakes met an expansion Sacramento MLS team (what would the team-name be? :confused: ) in a future MLS Western Conference Final. :D

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, that's what I've been asking for all along! :D

The obvious name might be "Miners" or "Gold Miners", resurrecting the former Canadian Football League franchise nickname. I'd be in favor of something creative twist like "Claim Jumpers" (restaurant tie-in, perhaps?). But knowing the MLS tradition it might be some roll-your-eyes deal like "Sacramento Gold Rush."

Of course that would mean I'd stop schlepping to Sanazay to watch the Quakes... ;)

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I watched that game last night. Fisher's shot was in the air for what seemed like 20 minutes.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

-G

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How the hell did the warriors get Baron Davis? I think that this was a trade in which Don Corleone and Luca Brazzi were involved. :D

Really, I was watching them play last week, and they look good for next year. They just need a big man inside. If they could luck out for once and somehow get the lottery's top pick, then they can get the aussie Bogut, and they can go all the way. Really.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first time in quite a while, the Warriors were on the good side of one of these deals. :D

I too completely share your optimism for next year. Barring any serious injuries and considering that the Warriors have pretty much completed paying "dead money" to past players (something that still plagues the NFL's San Francisco 49ers, and the reason why the Warriors couldn't afford to keep Gilbert Arenas several years ago), they should be able to keep Jason Richardson, Baron Davis and many of the other young talent on the team, as well as sign at least one good free agent.

Next season could see the Warriors' return to the playoffs for the first time since 1993-94. I guess we'll see. :)

-G

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, the comment about Bogut was perhaps a bit too optimistic, bordering on myopic. But yeah, it's looking better for the good guys than it has in years.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

-G

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well look on the bright side... who would have ever believed earlier this season that the Golden State Warriors would push the San Antonio Spurs (OK... without Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Rasho Nesterovic) like they did tonight, and that it would take double OT for the Spurs to prevail? The Warriors are definitely a better team, and I can guarantee the rest of the Pacific Division will be quaking in 05-06 if the GSW get one of the top three picks in the lottery.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first time in years, I'm excited for the subsequent Warriors season to begin. :)

-G

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member