The official "Fox News Channel Needs to be Destroyed" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by YankBastard, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor belly dancers.

Pity

at least we have Univision for that.

2. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, what we've concluded after five pages of the usual sniping is that pretty much all mainstream news outlet are biased and suck like a five year old at the Neverland Ranch.

Good, we've indentified a problem : The complete lack of a center in public discourse.

Now what?

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blow **** up?

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    What would have been an appropriate term to use? :rolleyes:
    I don't like the fact that the Fire lost both Beasley and Bocanegra around the same time, but I can live with it. Am I also expressing arrogant presumptuousness there?

Now let me be clear that the reason we get the WSJ at all is because of my wife's job, and I rarely read the thing that thoroughly, but I've also never encountered anything at all that could even remotely be considered liberal in its slant. If anything, the news section is a model of objectivity. Susan Faludi used to write for the WSJ. Is that what you're thinking of?

If the WSJ isn't as objective a source for news as a newspaper can be, please tell me what is. The Financial Times? The Economist, perhaps? Or is it the case that there is not a single objective source for news anywhere (leaving aside Philosophy 101 arguments about whether true objectivity can exist)?

Correct, you didn't--you simply vehemently disgreed with my assertion that FOX is news for imbeciles. Fine, FOX is somewhere between high-quality news and news for imbeciles. If I flip past it later this afternoon and catch a report damning the authorities in Aruba for something or another, I'll note to myself that I shouldn't necessarily consider that story idiotic.

5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Feeling ill isn't my idea of fun.

6. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Jesus are you delicate or what

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah. I got pretty sick yesterday watching a Fox channel. But it was over a soccer game.

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's very crucial that everything I say on a message board be taken literally.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just wait till you get to the point when you need a little blue headache-inducing pill in order to have a good time. I bet you'll take the trade-off. :D

10. __Dynamite__

__Dynamite__ Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Krusa (Denmark)
    I`ve seen Fox News the first time as i visited California (I LOVE IT!) last march.
    Indeed, the first show i saw was O`Reilly and i really laughed my ass off. I never heard of it before and i was absolutely sure i was watching a political satire show. There was a college guy from idontknow who said that the twin towers had been legal war targets for some reason that sounded convincing but i cant remember anymore and this old gay (pardon, guy) O`Reilly really got terrible angry and insultet the college guy as a liberal-terrorist-coward-a$$hole-son-of-a-bitch (not exactly his words but very similar) and afterwards said his famous "fair and balanced" phrase. Great entertainment.

After that i saw Jerry Springer (unbeliveable!) and a show on a outdoor tv station in which an old guy tried to shoot a turkey with a crossbow. They really showed this man sitting 2 hours in a tent, making very funny sounds to attract a (female?) turkey! I dont know if he made it, but it simply was ridiculuos.

I love the us television. What a great material satire!

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not slow, you are......

12. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Just putting this out here:

I've just finished writing an article for a reasonably well known education journal which will likely contain things some Bill O'reilly-stlyed ultra-fascists will find offensive. If they (FOX news) would like to report on that ad naseum a la Ward Churchill or Al Franken I could sure use the exposure/sales.

So, if anyone from Fox is reading this please contact me via PM so we can begin the hostilities.

Thanks,
    -Karl

13. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we blow up the notion of a ********ing center and demand that news actually conduct investigative journalism instead of "reporting," or acting as megaphones (in the best case) and stenographers (in Fox's case) for power?

Center, indeed. There's truth-seeking, and then there's truth-positioning/truth-packaging. Notions of the center are the latter. Democratic pillars of free press that serve democratic societies are the former.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    fox"news" is a ********ing joke, and this is coming from an actual journalist who knows what that word means - the entire purpose of that network is to push agenda and ideas, and it's not even remotely tricky to figure that out - even if you find "outfoxed" to be biased (surprise!), there is no getting around the "news" department memos they uncovered - those memos clearly proved that FNC is not a legitimate news organization, but a republicon mouthpiece - it matters not how much you protest because those who see clearly through FNC also understand that, for you and your precious administration, it is always more important how things appear than how they actually are

and btw i love when neocons cry that true investigative journalism is always liberal or against them... perhaps that should tell you something

before i leave you to your squabble, i'll post the easiest and most clearcut episode of FNC's bias:

after receiving complaint letters over his statement, the utter dumb******** laughably tries to refute assertions that he has no journalistic integrity or objectivity by replying over the air in a segment titled "american first, journalist second":

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=neil+cavuto+am+i+biased%3F/v=2/SID=e/l=WS1/R=7/IPC=nl/SHE=0/H=2/;_ylt=AhaO24N0EX_brE.xzsVcCWFXNyoA/SIG=125lq54h9/EXP=1120292425/*-http%3A//www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82504,00.html

never mind that he basically admits he has no journalistic integrity several times in his rant.... that's right, just do it the karl k. way! lie through your teeth, move the goalposts, try to guilt people using the troops as cover, try to discredit anyone who doesn't fall in line with your selfish wants as non-patriots and then launch an insanely childish insult tirade

there ya go, ITN: your one precious glorious example - i could go on all day with these, but what's the point?

15. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OUTFOXED...for free! Watch and enjoy the bias...

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fox news is sooooooooooooo biased towards the republican party and George Bush that it's almost untrue, that idoit Bill O'Rielly spends half of his time critizing democrats. I prefer a news channel thats fair and unbiased :)

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FNC has destroyed its credibility long ago... so i just fail to acknowledge it as an actual news channel.....

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Precisely - I can't believe this thread is still going. "Fox News" is just a label - it's an entertainment channel, a conduit for pre-packaged rhetoric and easly digested political groupthink, all presented as news but actually perceived by anyone with a brain as entertainment. Face it - only complete cretins with no actual interest in the answer will ask themselves the question "hey I wonder what happened in the news today?" and then flick on Fox to find out.

Just watch it for what it is - a comedy show to pass the time between the top of the hour on any of the actual news channels.

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    We don't have any actual news channels over here.

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    They're biased towards making huge profits. Murdoch had the sense to realize that there's a lot more money to be made peddling right wing drivel.

http://mediabistro.com/tvnewser/

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) Sounds like Dr. Dean! :)

22. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ah, well yes. There is that. But don't your digital providers offer Canadian or Mexican channels? I mean, any step up is still a step up.

And the Beeb has a presence in the US, no?

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, free speech sucks. Time to move to Burma.

24. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree, just don't watch it. If people want to be brainewashed that is their choice. However there is an alternative

25. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Formerly a registered Republican, even a precinct captain, Kimery became an independent in the 1990s when he said the state party stopped taking input from everyday members.

Kimery now contends Fox News' top-level management dictates a conservative journalistic bias, that inaccuracies never are retracted, and what airs is more opinion than news...

cool!