The Official FIFA Rankings Thread - Part II

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by El Chuma, Nov 23, 2007.

1. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  3. Edgar

Edgar Member

Re: The Official FIFA Rankings Thread

I only made one mistake -> link.

4. mvp1523

mvp1523 New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    los angeles
    israel is in pot two wow! they were in pot four last world cup campaign.

5. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How long since they qualified the last time?

6. Edgar

Edgar Member

The last and only time was in 1970.

7. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Seedings in World Cup Draw :

Africa - FIFA July Ranking
    CONCACAF - FIFA May ranking
    UEFA - FIFA November ranking

8. Sevryn45

Sevryn45 New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Those rankings mae no sense, why did Poland drop to 23rd when we won against Kazahstan, Belgium and tied Serbia away. We qualified for the Euro top seed, makes no sense to me.

9. israel972

israel972 New Member

May 30, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes! 2nd Seed.
    LETS GO ISRAEL

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  11. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
    I dont get it, Croatia remains 10th for the third month in a row yet theyve only lost one game since the last world cup (including friendlies).

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't complain, just calculate it yourself. Croatia had a very bad year 2006, when other top ten teams got 300-600 more points.

13. Edgar

Edgar Member

Probable top 50 after EURO 2008 -> link.

14. Edgar

Edgar Member

The July rankings have been released -> link.

15. Edgar

Edgar Member

For those who just can't wait ... Probable top 50 in August 2008 -> link.

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Russia and Spain are the big winners, Greece are the big losers - seems fair.

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just absolutely hilarious. I'm now looking forward to next month's numbers. That 13 place drop for Mexico, putting them just under the US, will lead to long, entertaining discussions on various boards. And also goes to show what a farce the new rankings method is. Quite a few people are ok with the US at around 30. But Mexico has consistently played on par with Argentina, Brazil and others in big tournaments. Of course, Brazil and Argentina being at 6 and 7 all because Europe had their Cup is just as absurd.

18. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And what do you think happens to Argentina and Brazil when the Copa America is around? :rolleyes:

What's your problem with the USA having a few more points than Mexico for maybe a month? Do you think the numbers are wrong? Calculate it yourself!

19. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Wow... when was the last time the top five didn't have a CSF team?
    Code:
    1 Spain		1557	0	0
    2 Germany	1343	1	-21
    3 Italy		1320	-1	-84
    4 Netherlands	1299	1	0
    5 Croatia	1282	2	0
    The answer is never.

Elo has the top 5 as
    Code:
    1 Spain		2049
    2 Argentina	1999
    3 Netherlands	1998
    4 Brazil	1987
    5 Italy		1985

20. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Elo Ranking doesn't look better to me.

21. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The '12 month' timeframe for weighting is what makes the FIFA rankings so crazy. They should use timeframes for the friendlies, but just use the 'last continental championship', 'last WC qualifiers', 'current WC qualifiers' as the weighting schemes for those games. The fact that teams shoot up the rankings when their continental championship happens then fall when it 'rolls off' 12 months later takes away from their credibility.

22. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Maybe that's because Germany isn't in the top 5 in the ELO rankings :p

23. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    That would be good enough reason IMO. I may be a Germany fan as well, but to say that the Germans do not have one of the 5 best teams in the world is silly.

24. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Call me silly.

Today, Germany doesn't have one of the top 5 teams in the world.

Germany has done a great job of over achieving in tournaments (See 2002, 2006, 2008). To claim that Germany was the 2nd, 3rd and 2nd best team in these tournaments would be silly - yet these were the results they archived. An extreme example of this would be Greece of 2004, I doubt that even Greek fans would claim that they were the best UEFA team, but they were the UEFA champions.

Germany today is not as good as (in no particular order) Spain, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, Croatia, Italy and are not measurably better than teams like Russia, Czech Republic, Portugal or Turkey. Having said that, put all these teams in a tournament with Germany and Germany will make it to the Final/Semi Finals more often than anyone else. Germany simply knows how to play in tournaments.

25. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Completely disagree with you. It almost sounds weird saying this, but tournament results have started to become almost an underrated way to judge a team. Sure, there are always the odd teams that do well in a competition and then fall back to earth as they were predicted to (Greece 2004, Korea 2002, and let's face it.. probably Turkey 2008, etc.) but when you achieve solid results consistently, that means you are a good team. You can't keep looking at the Germans' recent good results like 2002, 2006, 2008 and writing them off. Those consistent results mean that they are an elite team. The only decent reason that many people don't believe Germany has an elite team (IMO anyway) is that they don't look great on paper. Which is actually an awful reason. It doesn't matter what players are perceived to be on paper, what matters in determining if a team is good is results. Results and nothing else. To me, being a "tournament team" as many call Germany precisely means that they are one of the best teams in the world. I don't care if a team has all the best players in history on it... if they get average results, then they are an average team, and vice-versa

I'm in a bit of a rush so this response may need further elaboration from me... I'll be back later :eek: