The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS viewership is bigger than either NHL or NBA.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in Denmark.

bsman repped this.
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah no... Definitely not the NBA.

bsman repped this.
  4. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    lol

bsman repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't prove it by me:

[​IMG]

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then dang! I have been misinformed. But thanks for the correction. :eek::oops:

7. T-1000

T-1000 Member

SJ Eearthquakes
    United States
    Jan 24, 2019
    But eSports is that high?!?!

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say I'm surprised. There's a large chunk of Gen Z who couldn't care less about real sports and who've whole heartedly embraced eSports. I had no idea before COVID, but got exposed to it early on in the pandemic and frankly I believe it. There's two and a half whole generations now for whom a large part of their peer interaction comes through some form of video game play, be it in person cooperative or online. That they'd then carry that personal interest over to a pro interest isn't terribly shocking. Not when you consider youth sports participation has been in steady decline. The kids had to do something.

Honestly I'd expect that number to grow and rival even the NFL at some point as the in person sports are going to continue to take hits in the west.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I spent quite a while looking for stats for another purpose, and it ain’t easy to find. I can’t vouch for the accuracy - particularly wrt the e-sports!

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely you are thinking of average attendance... MLS has higher average attendance than NHL and NBA, of course those sports are both played in indoor arenas with around 18k capacity, and they have just over double the number of regular season home games, and much higher average ticket prices than MLS, and maybe a few other caveats that I'm forgetting at the moment, but it is still a fact that MLS has overtaken them in higher average attendance.
    MLS television viewership, on the other hand, is not even close to those other leagues.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I clearly got that wrong. I’ve already been scolded, but another helping is not misplaced.

That said, MLS needs to figure out how to get more money out it’s TV contracts. Not that I have any brilliant ideas in that regard. It annoys me that even though the league is successful, our financial condition remains vulnerable.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

12. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    You live near Kingston, NY? I spent 4 years in Saugerties when I was a kid, late 60's early 70s. Still remember my Mom and Dad arguing about my mom and the neighbor lady wanting wanting to go check out Woodstock!

My wife and I went there a few years ago and was blown away how much the area looked exactly the same. Even the Jolly Cow ice cream place (Route 9W?) was still hopping all these years later.

13. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    As a matter of fact, the first time I had ever played soccer was there! Many of the residents in my neighborhood were Italian-American we played lots of baseball and soccer...

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live south of Kingston and I've been here about 2 years. The city is a disaster. The main mall is down to two flagship stores, Target and Dicks, the tech startup center, formerly IBM, stands empty, the road system was designed by two people independently, apparently both drunk (5 way stops!!!) and raw sewage flows directly into the river after a rain storm.

The good news is that despite the poverty and urban decay its got a pretty low crime rate.

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #8141 JazzyJ, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Maybe everyone is too depressed to bother committing crimes.

I travelled a little bit in upstate NY once briefly, looking at colleges with my daughter. I was a little shocked at how distressed / depressed some of those communities seemed to be. They had a certain feel about them that felt foreign to me, as a bay are native. Just wanted to get out quickly. Ithaca was kind of nice though.

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV contracts are based on viewership, if they want more money from them they need to get more people watching. The only way to do that is to increase the quality of the product. To do that they need to get better players. To get better players they need to spend more money.

17. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Ha! Yeah, we went through Kingston and it was pretty depressing. My dad worked for IBM back then as did many other residents.

We were surprised, however, how well kept my old neighborhood in Saugerties was, though. It is town of about 2,000 near the Hudson River. We actually went to the 4th of July parade "downtown". It was a trip after living in the Bay area all these years. Small town Americana. Everyone in the parade new all the folks watching.

Later that day I was showing my wife my old fishing spot on the river when a young couple paddled by on kayaks and asked us if we wanted a beer. We hung out and talked for awhile. I enjoyed my visit, but, I'm probably looking at the area through nostalgic lenses!

Sorry for the digression, but, damn, this has got to be the most depressing Quakes pre-season that I can remember. Even worse than last year!!

mjlee22 and Paul Berry repped this.
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8144 Goodsport, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

Quakes05, markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22 repped this.
  20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow i don’t understand how Cincinnati rates a stadium display like that. Wouldn’t that lighting cost at least $250k? Even without COVID would they sell out that place every week?

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do we NOT rate a lighting display like that? In the tech capital of the solar system? How do we not at least have a cool exterior to our stadium, instead of allowing it to look like an ErectorSet stadium?

We suck!!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

mjlee22, Beerking, TyffaneeSue and 2 others repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Happy birthday to our stadium! First regular season game played there on March 22, 2015.

Earthshaker repped this.
  23. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Santa Clara County should move to the orange tier this week, according to SFGATE, which allows for 33% capacity at Earthquakes Stadium. 6000 spots will probably allow any returning STH who wants to attend to get tickets to home matches.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States