The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The architect has no such excuse though. HOK has designed many stadiums. Also they are re-using Quakes Stadium blueprint for the new Louisville City FC stadium:

They did make a number of improvements though.
    • The bar is accessible from both inside and outside the stadium.
    • They built a bridge over the "players tunnel" so it won't completely block traffic when players enter and exit the stadium.
    • Some of the sections in the closed end of the stadium are not split level (I assume this is where the supporters will go).
    • The video screen outside the stadium is lower and possibly better shaded to provide better viewing parties (less of a neck strain and less sun glare maybe).
    • Oh yeah, and a better roof
    I'm sure there is more improvements that I didn't notice.

Beerking and mjlee22 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So no one knows if the price of parking gone up?

3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Looks like they will have a slightly larger team store as well.

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I asked on reddit and someone said ticketmaster is selling parking for $25 bucks.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SJEarthqua...ots/fhghgka?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I haven't read the interview with Jared Shawlee but apparently they expect most people to park in the two new garages. He claims the feedback is that people get in and out faster and the walk is shorter. Take this with a grain of salt though - they didn't raise the prices which is telling. Usually parking garages are very slow.

falvo repped this.
  5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if they've figured out the wind tunnel thing?

6. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah because they have the same wind patterns as SJ.

7. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beckham just inked a $234 million stadium/kit naming rights deal with Qatar Airways (not sure how long the deal is in place). You think the Quakes will get anywhere near that amount?

You know, I'm often criticized for stating the Quakes got a SSS on the extreme CHEAP. Both design and cost. Hmm?

The only monstrosity of a ballpark Kaval will get built in Oakland will be at the current Coliseum site, as Howard Terminal is an extreme, ultra-expensive pipe dream...

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yup - starting with the fact that when players are entering or exiting the field, the main promenade around the stadium perimeter has to be totally shut down for up to ten minutes or so at a time. Also, (and very curiously) there is no provision for a television camera at the tunnel - so instead the camera has to be placed just off the field in a dangerous and exposed position. We're talking pretty fundamental stuff.

markmcf8, Beerking, tenfourteen and 2 others repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    On Wikipedia it says the Avaya deal was $20 million over 10 years.

So I expect Qatar to be on Miami’s jerseys for a very long time. But it’s still a lot of money.

Of course Qatar airways needs to get Americans comfortable with the name Qatar and that’s apparently very expensive.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apparently, Qatar is pronounced by folks in the region as "gutter". Seem appropriate?

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're probably being facetious, but the site is adjacent to a river with no windbreaks, just lots of open space. So the wind patterns may be different, can't tell from a map.

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    What side do you sit on? On the players bench side it’s not that windy.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We were in 26, opposite the players, and always freezing, even mid-summer. Our new seats are 126 and I'm hoping it's more protected. I'd rather have snow than wind.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LOL. Freezing. I sat in the same section.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe you have seats in 26, but you're always off partying with a better crowd.

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    i've been in 109 and 108 and I never thought it was especially windy. Although this year we moved down closer to the field and it might be more windy.

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    SJ wind pattern is very consistent compared to a lot of other places. The wind is almost always coming from NNW off the cooler bay and ocean towards the hot inland areas.

I have no idea if Miami has similar prevailing winds. But it would certainly make a difference in your perception if it was only windy some days and not others because the change in wind direction would change what happens in your seat. If the wind switched direction 180 degrees for example, I doubt you would feel it.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've never seen the tunnel since they built it.

How easy is it to park at Santa Clara University or the train station and cross under the tunnel to Coleman?

Or rather, can we park at SCU or the station and walk or is it too far?

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I chose my seats I studied prevailing wind direction and where the sun would be at certain times of the day and year. I chose to be about half way up on the pressbox side and as close to midfield without paying the premium prices the center section pays. The press box behind me blocks the wind and the sun is never in my eyes. One thing I did not forsee was ownership not finishing the roof. I am on the "edge of wetness" when it rains, where I would have likely stayed dry if they had covered that remaining 15-20'.

markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and Scott Rohde repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did you factor in climate change, too? :)

Beerking, due time and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No - it's about a 15-20 minute walk. However, you do have to walk (or at least DID have to - haven't kept up on everything going on in the area construction-wise) through the entire gravel-and-dirt construction area unless you walk all the way down Brokaw and walk on the (badly broken-up and uneven) sidewalk along Coleman. I will be curious to see what it looks like this year.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can we park at SCU or the Santa Clara train station or do we have to pay there too?

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The train station and on-campus lots both have parking fees. If you find a legal spot on the streets in the area, it is free.

Beerking repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When the games were at Buck Shaw, I always found a spot for free.

TyffaneeSue and Beerking repped this.
  25. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Hmm... Based on your description, we must be "neighbors" in 107 :). We chose our seats using a very similar decision making process.