The Official Dempsey at Fulham Thread - Part II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Okay, so what I say is soooo controversial. Do you remember all the crap I got for saying that Donovan is at the same level as Pienaar? or Adu isn't one of the most skillful players in the world? Or that Eddie Johnson was unlikely to play a big part for Fulham in his second season (just before he was promptly sent on loan to Cardiff) or that USA wasn't goign to win WC2006.

I'm not tearing you're players down, I say what I think and suprise suprise, I don't generally hold the USMNT players as high regard as USMNT fans.

If you can't stand differeing opinions go to a forum where they only allow supporters of your team, there are plenty of them on the web.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is a pretty confident player. If anyone would attempt something outlandish it would be him and seeing as pretty much everyone thinks it was a shot, it seems likely it was. Not to mention he does not look up to pick anyone out, it is a terrible position for a cross and it would have been one of the worst crosses put into the box.

3. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    This is the thing |I'm not saying it was unintentional.Like I said seing the replay a few times and there's a bit of doubt (which stems from the fact he didn't look up), but like I say I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree I'd be more disposed to thinking Dempsey did intentionally than say if Richard Dunne did it. Attmepting things like that is in his modus operandi, thoguh I don't think I've ever seen him do somethign quite this outrageous.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty outrageous, ha.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So your argument that this goal was a miss-hit pass is that he didn't look up because "Would you pass the ball without looking up?".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7JRT52d_bo"]YouTube- Ronaldinho amazing goal against Hong Kong[/ame]

best angle starts at the 26 second mark, he never looks up from the ball.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXauYVy_dws"]YouTube- Ray Houghton USA 94 Ireland v Italy[/ame]

Both of these goals are different because the placement of the shots would argue even more strongly for a look up to see if the keeper is off his line. Both go over the keeper while Dempsey's went around.

Experience

Exactly!

I think this was the best goal struck since Maradona dribbled all the way through England's defense, twice!, or Ronaldinho scored a 35 yard freekick against England.

I don't know about that, I see posters here move the goal posts all the time.

Right on.

Wrong... off? I can't believe you're arguing both that keepers don't position themselves based on where the ball is laterally positioned on the field and that they "trys and narrows both side of the goals" (how do they do that, do they also move the goal posts?).

Ronaldinho, noted cheeky bastard, said that he was aiming at the near post.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wVCTJ-2wk"]YouTube- World Cup 2002 Ronaldinho Free Kick vs England[/ame]

I have exceptional peripheral vision and because America has the best health care system in the world I can now see 20 yards!

Best argument it was a shot, goal posts don't move, players do.

6. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    I don't really remember that much man, i just remember your screen name. i'm sure that there are times when your slagging has been wrong, but that your not telling us here..

7. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Yep there are times when I have been wrong i.e. I underestimated Dempsey, I knew he was a good player when I saw him WC 2006 and I really wished Reading had tried to sign him, we might've stayed up instead of Fulham that year. But I didn't think he'd become as good as he has been this season fpor example I said I don't think a biog 4 club would sign whereas now I'd say I wouldn't be suprised if he went to Liverpool (or one of the pretenders to the big 4) at the end of the season.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some people are really getting worked up about this whole "it was a shot"/"no, it was a pass" debate here... :rolleyes: If I was a betting man, I would say he took a chance on goal and it payed off spectacularly - but who cares?

Those debating that is isn't, sure as hell are doing a good job and getting the spazzos to come out into the open. For the most part, your regular Dempsey/USMNT fans would have probably brushed such a ridiculous statement about it being unintended about 20 posts ago.

Now, can we move on and everyone just agree to disagree?

9. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its what I a trying to do, Ive lurked in this thread since my last post and still people want to argue the point despite me refusing to comment any further on it.

It seems people hate it when people disagree with them but then cant accept it when the people with the differing views refuse to comment further. Its pretty funny ;)

10. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're misunderstanding the point of all the posts by annoyed YA forumites.

What's annoying many of us on these threads is the same posters posting the same contrarian (and generally wrong and unsupportable) positions in YA threads. These posters almost never have anything positive to say about any YAs. It's pretty much the definition of trolling, and it's really rather tiresome.

11. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No I think a lot of American posters look far too deeply into it. I have not critcised Dempsey once in this thread just disagreed with the general viewpoint.

I was being slated for this and declared I would no longer reply to any posts on the topic. Then Posters still continue to quote my posts when I wont discuss any further. If you look through the thread you will find the personal insults come from the american posters, all I have done is disagreed with certain peoples views and taken abuse for it.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you'd stop defending it, they will cease and desist. Besides, if a few poster believe it was unintentional, so what? Let them be!

Trolls only grow when you feed them.

13. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This debate is ridiculous and has ruined the last part of this thread. We are well over our limit so let's close this thread and start a new one...with no debating the goal, please.

Cris 09 is correct. Stop feeding trolls and they will go away. After 20 posts it's almost more the feeders fault in the end.

14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Suggested new thread title:

The Official Dempsey at Fulham Thread - Part III [R]

15. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Another suggestion

All that and a bag of chips: Clint Dempsey at Fulham

16. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that doesn't allow the regulars on the board to indulge us - er...I mean themselves - with pages of delightfully witty word play.

17. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To Daft - p!!! [NC-17]

18. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sir,

You may take my words. But you can never take my wit.

Good day.

19. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    HouseHead78 says no wit: Dempsey at Fulham

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Another witless Demps at Fulham thread"

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Really - so you are saying most professional keepers are covering the far post upper V when a shooter is moving laterally to the goal at the 18 "dude might chip me!" Is that the position you wish to take? You are welcome to it, but it is absurd.

Show me a clip of a keeper guarding the far post upper V when a player is moving laterally across the 18. That I want to see.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Yeah, I meant to do that" - The Dempsey at Fulham thread.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

24. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thirded. Please let this be the title of the next one. Please.

25. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    This takes the golf club to the head and splits the wig wide open….yes.