The Official Danielle Slaton thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 16, 2018.

1. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And probably one of the smartest!!

markmcf8 and falvo repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m sure she is a better player than most of them. Chris Klein may have been a good player but I can’t remember his playing days much....

3. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klein is probably one of the most solid MLS midfielders of all time, a respectable offensive stat line with 49 career goals and 69 assists

DotMPP repped this.
  4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do enjoy how she is not a "homer". It seems every game she questions the starting lineup (how Wondo needs Hoesen up there with him) and how the Quakes play to slow....she even has Dangerfield agreeing with her....

Would like to hear her take on the coach's firing and who what possible candidates she thinks the Quakes should look at.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dangerfield admitted to me he was a homer.......Guess he likes getting paid handsomely...

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can you blame him? What's he going to do, sit in the booth and bad mouth the team and players for every game? I don't think people want to listen to that, quite honestly.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #32 falvo, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    No but you criticize with knowledge of the game and insight. American based commentators just don’t do this. At least not for home games. It’s either because they have an easy job snd don’t want to get canned or just don’t know the tactics.

Either way, I think fans are by now sophisticated enough to know the game. It’s not like they 70’s, 80’s or 90’s when no one knew the rules.

Beerking repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, did you expect him to call Stahre a f***ing moron? He's not Rex Tillerson.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't necessarily agree that it's the commentator's job to criticize. It's their job to describe what's happening and perhaps provide some context, but commentators are not sports writers or journalists. That isn't to say they can't be critical, but if you're looking for a guy on the home broadcast of a team to openly call out the organization on a regular basis, you're looking in the wrong place for what you actually want.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #35 falvo, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    I'm not talking about being hostile at all. I mostly mean to be objective and analyzing players, tactics and game day situations or even what's going on with teams and the organization throughout the week. This is the type of commentary I hear on a weekly basis when watching Spanish, Italian and the English leagues. Neither call out organizations on a regular basis. If anything, they give thorough insight about clubs and players so if they can do it, I don't see why they don't see why it can't happen here either.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does Tillerson have his coaching license?

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, in my analogy, Dangerfield=Tillerson, Stahre=Trump.;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And Maxine Waters is Angry Mark. :)

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on board with that!!

OK, that's enough with the political stuff, or I'll get all angry and be a jerk.

Danielle is brilliant, her analysis is excellent.

To the point @falvo was making, if you watched the last Olympics, Danielle's analysis was excellent. She said this team is attacking in this fashion, and the other team has to figure out how to respond to that. We could get more of that from our announcers without them getting nasty or mean about it.

For example, I've noticed Eriksson dropping deep into the formation to get more control and support our defenders. It works when he does it, but then, he's too deep and can't launch an attack from there, and he's too slow to get back forward and help in the attack, which is why we brought him in.

Our announcer's can go on about throwins, corners (and we've been more creative on corners this season), guys making runs, or not, and it wouldn't be awful. And it's not like our viewers don't notice these things.

Go Quakes!!
    Go Danielle!!

- Mark

falvo repped this.
  15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark, your analysis is very good. This summer SeaJayBee and I heard a little bird say the same thing - Magnus was doing that on his own because he was trying to help out when he saw the defense struggling. Magnus was now being told not to do that, and if he would stay up higher he should start to return to his Swedish league attacking form (which is, as you say, why they brought him in).

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes are mentioned in the article. I hope this doesn't mean Danielle Slaton is gone. I enjoy her commentating and opinion during games.

19. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Hope not. Not only do I enjoy her insight, and not only was she a great player, she is LOCAL! My oldest was a lucky recipient of the Slaton family coaching at Evergreen High School when she was on the track team. Frequently saw both Daniel and her Dad in the bleachers during girl's soccer games.

Beckham7 repped this.
  20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Her and Aly Wagner are local treasures. I wish the Quakes would team them up.

markmcf8, Beckham7 and bsman repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ugh - does that mean more Dan Passarelli?

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did Frank ever bring a cowbell and ring it at games? He used to do that for Danielle's club games.

24. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Ha! Don't recall, but, they were both fixtures at EVHS Track & Field/ Soccer games. It tripped me out when I started seeing her on televised Quakes games!

P.S. I wanted to let you know that I donated some money to a film maker (after you posted something to the effect) that was going make a documentary about the Quakes. I never did hear anything about the documentary, but, part of the deal was that the donor would get some Quakes memorabilia.

I'd like to let you know I received a game worn Quincy Amerikwa jersey that I have personally worn to all home games (and several away games) since I received it. I had it on during a game that Quincy was at with his girlfriend while he was re-habbing from that horrible injury. I yelled, "Quincy!!" and pointed to the back of my jersey. Both he and his girlfriend came over and spoke with me. We all wished him a speedy recovery.

I can't wait to wear this jersey again sometime (hopefully soon!) at our home games again!!!!!

25. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For you, vamanoshasta: