The Official Danielle Slaton thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danielle rules!

She did the women's soccer games at the last olympics. She's brilliant, and perseptive, and I bow down to her superior soccer accumen. All hail Daniells Slaton!!

Go Quakes!!
    Go Danielle!!

- Mark

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I like Aly Wagner just as much. Team them up like their high school days

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Danielle, but, does she really need an "Official Thread" because of this news?o_O

Beerking and DotMPP repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Danielle for coach!

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on board with that. She's brilliant. (I haven't heard Aly Wagner do announcing or analysis.) I think that Danielle would be a better coach than Dim Stahre. My only question there is whether the players would listen to her or not. I think most of them would and simultaneously be honored to play for her. But I can't say for certain.

Oh, and Danielle needs her own thread because she's freaking awesome!!

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

8. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Every time I saw a new Official thread, I though we finally signed a LB.

Beerking and tenfourteen repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think its cool how DCU has the first-ever all-female broadcast team calling the DC United New England Revs game!

[​IMG]

10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Women's pro league has a game of the week broadcast on, I think, the Lifetime channel. Aly is a regular announcer there, but took a break from that to do the World Cup.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #11 NedZ, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Before they played at together at Presentation High School (where they were coached by ex-Quake Mani Hernandez) they played club ball together. Aly's mother Vicki Wagner coached Aly on an Almaden club team called the Mercury. Danielle lived in the Evergreen League area, but they didn't have a strong girls' select program, so she joined the Mercury. Danielle was always very fast, and also had a positive personality and leadership ability. (Her father was a track coach at Silver Creek High and her mother was a high school teacher in a different district). The Mercury had a very strong team and had players from other league areas on it. The Almaden League got some complaints that too many non-Almaden were on the team, so the team moved to the San Jose Central Valley League and stayed intact. Phillipe Blin, an assistant coach at Santa Clara University, was the team trainer. The Mercury always played up a year against older competition in Select league competition and in tournaments (and usually won). Then in State Cup, Regionals, and National USYSA competitions they played in their own age-group and dominated. They won something like 4 national championships. Most of them went to Division I colleges. Aly, Danielle, and Anna Kraus played for SCU, and along with Brooke O'Hanley (who played for Clive Charles at Portland), played for WUSA teams. Aly and Danielle played for the USWNT.

Nick Arellano of Soccer Magic wrote this article when Danielle and Aly were playing U-13 Select soccer for Almaden.

Mercury U-13 Clinic001.jpg

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Mercury on a Cheerios Box. Aly is directly behind the trophy, next to Danielle:

Cheerios Mercury scan .jpg

don gagliardi repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When the Brazilians were hanging out in Los Gatos during the 1994 World Cup supporting the Brazilian national team who was staying at Villa Filice, I remember many of those youth team girls playing pick up ball with the many fans. I remember how the Brazilian fans were cheering all of them on in Portuguese. Aly went on to say, that always stayed with her and inspired her to continue playing on. I think Danielle was there too.

14. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think a lot of fans congregated at or near Willow Street Pizza in Los Gatos, and I know some youth players who brought a ball downtown at that time. BTW, when the Mercury players were young Vicky Wagner had them practice juggling. She took a yardstick and clothespins or clips with players' names on them and those were placed on the yardstick to show how many consecutive juggles they had done during warmup before practice. I don't know how many Danielle could do but Aly led the team in that area. I'd be willing to bet Aly was doing some juggling for those Brazilians. She was always hyper-competitive and devoted to soccer. She was a center mid and became an expert passer, which is something she brought with her to the USWNT. I think she had several knee procedures (including at least one ACL in High School) so arthritis may be a factor for her in later life. BTW, a knee injury ended Danielle's playing career, after which she got into coaching.

15. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Happy for the well deserved success Danielle is having, but it's really sad that her success is the best part of this season for anything related to the Earthquakes.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #16 falvo, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    The only thing she is lacking in is some insight and game day analysis. Then again, the same can be said for most MLS commentators, man or woman.

If you can understand all the languages aside from the English ones, there is nothing like the european or South American game callers.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Even though Danielle caught the red eye flight to NYC after last nights game at Avaya, she looks a lot happier on today's DCU @ NYRB game on national TV. Maybe its because they are paying her more?

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Received this today:

"As a Season Pass Holder, there are two special opportunities that you can participate in during tomorrow's match:
    • As a part of Women's Soccer Appreciation Night, join us for a pregame panel talk with former U.S. Women's National Team defender and current Quakes television analyst Danielle Slaton, as well as Quakes Academy and U.S. U-17 National Team midfielder Sophie Jones. The talk will take place in the Chairman's Club from 6-6:30 p.m. Register here today as space is limited!"

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What no Brandi?

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Saw Brandi a few weeks ago at Stanton field (the turf field outside the old Buck Shaw stadium (now names "Stevens Stadium") and she had just had surgery on both knees. I joked with her that this was probably the first and last time I could run faster than her!

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It was so tedious I had to mute the sound.

Understand, I don't watch women's soccer either.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They seem to be including Danielle in on the analysis tonight at home against Dallas. It doesn't sound too good....

Beerking repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Falvo and Beerking's applications are in the mail:

[​IMG]

:D

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Are you kidding? I love Danielle!

Aug 16, 2018

bsman repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    She would be the prettiest president in the league!