The Official Chris Leitch Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Chewie23, Apr 20, 2009.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Weren’t we promised an MLS Cup in 2026? What miracle is going to turn this sow’s ear to a silk purse by February 2026? IIRC, our only ‘worst to first’ season (2021) featured: a new GM, a new coach, a whole slew of new players. I hope Leitch is busy working on his CV…

markmcf8, xbhaskarx and Kaitlyn repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the Quakes is that we only look for heavily discounted players, which to me is not the same as “under-valued”. I think we only look for players who are more like distressed properties, unhappy or unwanted wherever they are. So we get them at a low price and they have few other options. But they aren’t really under-valued, because that would imply they had value in the first place. We are only getting rejects.

And then to come to SJ where the rents and real estate are close to the highest in the country, the practice facilities and locker room are high school quality, the stadium is about 1/3 full, the coach spends half the practice lecturing, and the analytics guy doesn’t know what he’s doing. And the fans on BigSoccer are depressed. Who would want to come to play for the Quakes?

bsman repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    The point is that we need to find undervalued players. Not that we find them all that often, but that's what we need to do to compete. I would argue that Espinoza was undervalued when we got him, and probably still is. Some people are down on him but I think Rodrigues, a $650 player, is a bit undervalued, etc. From the olden days, Baca was way undervalued, Wondo, etc....

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't be the case if they're really paying $7 million for Hernan Lopez Munoz... we will find out soon enough.
    upload_2024-4-23_23-7-27.png

Christian Espinoza was struggling after a move to Villareal, when the Quakes acquired him on loan, and then bought him after he played well here. More moves like that would be nice... Rodrigues was the same, and now they're trying it again with Bieganski.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are good points — so maybe Leitch’s hit rate on finding worthwhile under-valued players is about 1 every other year? While his miss rate is i dunno 7-10 per year?

6. elhula

elhula Member

Apr 18, 2007
    san jose
    Anyone know what time the Leitch press conference is today

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s at 10:30am PDT.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

elhula repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luchi should 100% be fired yesterday. If Shawlee decides Leitch should also be fired, here's a GM option:

markmcf8 repped this.