The Official Chris Leitch Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Chewie23, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    this was the most troubling part of the CL "press conference"...he thinks the roster is pretty good as it is, we have most of what we need, we're definitely not in a rebuild situation, we just need to add a depth piece or two. omg

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If that isn't double talk what is?

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Leitch said no one in the organization is satisfied with where they are. Also, he said it is not a full rebuild because they have some pieces already. All true and reasonable. This roster has won more than it has lost since Matias left and showed they are capable of playing with anyone in MLS.

You are whining for the sake of whining, and willfully distorting what Leitch said.

SeaJayBee, SJTillIDie and JazzyJ repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Leitch said nothing of any substance therefore there is nothing to willfully distort.

No one is happy being bottom of the table? brilliant.

If you're happy with the roster and feel enough is being done, wonderful. For me its the same old Quakes...sitting bottom of the table, unable or unwilling to act to strengthen the team, throwing in the towel with (almost) half a season left to play.

sorry Don, that's a feeble effort at best.

Quakes fans have every right to be sick and tired of this hopeless small team bullshit. Yesterday's "press conference" was a joke.

bostero24 repped this.
  5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    #980 Scott Rohde, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    MLS Power Rankings: Cucho Hernandez is making Columbus a problem for the rest of the league

[... I've gotten very used to scrolling all the way down to the bottom to find the Quakes ...]

24. San Jose Earthquakes
    Previous ranking: 25

Next MLS match: July 23 at Portland Timbers, 10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+

You'd think a team playing three games in eight days would rotate, but San Jose did as little of it as possible and barely went to its bench. Can someone please get Alex Covelo some more players?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...columbus-a-problem-for-the-rest-of-the-league

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did @Chewie23 envision this recent arguing about GM Chris Leitch when she started this thread way back when? :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

I agree that we have some really good players, but we're thin in a number of spots, and we need some upgrades in other spots.

I want:
    • two new outside defenders.
    • one new d-mid, maybe two, but I think just one.
    • one more striker.
    • perhaps a new left-side middie.
    If we get those sorts of players, then we're going to need to move some guys elsewhere. Maybe we trade or cut a couple of guys. Maybe we loan one or more of the youngsters to a USL side.

Mostly, I want a new coach. I just don't think that Covelo is creative enough. Also, I think that if we move him back to his Director of Methodology position that he will leave within a few months. I can't imagine him being OK with being demoted.

Go Quakesfans!!

8. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    As opposed to what, whining for the sake of enacting actual change?

The San Jose Earthquakes have made offers to soccer players? Well all my concerns are put to rest.

Scott Rohde and bostero24 repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If your concern is that supposedly nothing of substance was said in the press conference (as expressed by others on this board), then, yes, your concern is misguided.

If your concern is the absence of immediate reinforcements, then say so. Meanwhile, I'll wait and see where we're at when the transfer window closes and then critique the signings or lack of same.

SeaJayBee, SalinasQuakesFan and JazzyJ repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    What, no CB? We really have only 3 CB's on the roster (discounting Casey Walls for now), having recently lost a starter, and one is rookie superdraft guy (who looks pretty good BTW).

But anyway, let's be realistic. We will probably get 1 or 2 new players in the transfer window. That's it. Chris said they're focused on the defense. So my guess is - CB for sure, and maybe an outside back.

11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, in this board people are saying the real journalists doesn’t show up to these pressers anyway. If that’s true, I guess it doesn’t matter if CL calls a meeting and then says nothing concrete. Like a tree falling in the unoccupied forest, right?

12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe @falvo read my post about Chris Leitch’s waffling in the pregame STH meet and greet, where I wrote this.
    Double talk might be a little strong as it implies lying, i thought Leitch was waffling — saying things so non-commitall and so on the fence that the words become meaningless.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No give us a winner!

I am so sick of excuses!

We have gone through 8-9 head coaches, countless assistants and now we are almost done with the umpteenth failed season!

This team is a disgrace and I am surprised there are Quakes fans defending anyone for that matter, in the organization!

Scott Rohde repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were no one to argue with, there would be no forum at all, obviously! :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #990 falvo, Jul 19, 2022
    Sure but these people have been getting a pass for way too long.

I look at the expansion teams who came recently and they are all doing or have done better than the Quakes.

Atlanta, initially (although now they have come down) , then, Austin, Minnesota and LAFC are all doing great.

We aren’t even considered at their level.

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charles Boehm showed up. So it wasn't just only the aftershock guys.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Either he was on the call or he watched the video :).

18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    According to his Twitter handle he's located in DC. I hope he didn't fly across the country just to hear CL announce outstanding offers.

Maybe he just watched the video like the rest of us?

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    CL hasn't even completed his first year yet. I'm going to give him a few years to see how things play out before condemning him. I'm weird like that.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody attended in person, since it was a video call.

mjlee22, Beckham7 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the presser.

I'm disappointed that we did not announce either a new coach or any new players.
    Thanks! You’re right, we need a CB or two, especially if we go to a 3-5-2.

But, what do we need right this minute? We aren’t going to sign six or seven new players. I was thinking if I could only add two or three players, what positions would I target?

D-mid
    One or two new outside defenders
    Maybe another striker

Then address our CB needs in the off season.

I’m not saying that we don’t need new CBs, I’m saying that we need a new d-mid and outside backs more.

Go Quakesfans!!

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #997 JazzyJ, Jul 19, 2022
    I don't think you'd normally "announce" new coach or players at press conferences. I think there'd be a press release first and then a press conference to introduce the players / coach.

So it was probably unrealistic for us to think that there would be new player or coach "announcements" at the PC. It was a status update, which everyone had been clamoring for, and now that they got it, they don't like that they got it. because it wasn't something else, like getting mad at an apple because it's not an orange. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let’s recap. No new coach to announce because interviews ongoing. No new players to announce because the offers have yet to be accepted or deals finalized.

Nothing to get upset about. There will be a new coach and be new players in due time.

24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    due time would have been the off season.

Quakes05 repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They need Yes men.

I have a feeling whomever they are interviewing wants certain guarantees and the ownership probably isn't willing to give it to them

Especially after the money they shelled out paying Almeyda, they are probably being even more frugal this time around.