the official Camp Cupcake projection thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 16, 2009.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Hartman, Reis, Hesmer, Busch, Pickens

D: Conrad, Orozco, Gonzalez, Goodson, Marshall, Hejduk, Wynne, Bornstein, Castillo, Franklin

M: Feilhaber, Torres, Beckerman, Mastroeni, Rogers, Donovan, White, Gaven, B Davis, Mullan,

F: Casey, Ching, Cunningham, Buddle, Findley

I didnt include Holden, Kljestan, or Clark because theyll be busy wrapping up Europe moves most likely in january (if theyre there they bump their respective later midfield editions). Donovan is a bit more iffy given the MLS option so i kept him.

-----------------------Hartman-------------------

---------------Conrad----------Marshall-----------
    Hejduk-----------------------------------Bornstein

----------------------Torres----------------------
    Donovan-------------Feilhaber--------------Rogers

----------------Ching-------Cunningham-----------

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Several have called for him, how about Cameron?

I should add, Heath Pearce as well, now that he is in Dallas.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    completely forgot about both of them, this is why i made this thread cuz i knew i would :p both justified

4. Firefan89

Firefan89 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    u forgot Jones to as he needs time to get acclimated to the US if he were to come with us to S.Africa.

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson's last chance to break back in.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All Euro's not playing in Scandinavia will be unavailable for camp cupcake. They have club games........and we don't play the matches of FIFA dates.

So Jones, Johnson, etc. are out.

Oh, that goes for Mexico based players as well. They're out.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really.....didnt know that

so no Torres, Orozco, Castillo then huh.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perkins may actually be available correct? I think Norway based players can be called in for this..............

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I believe so. Don't quote me on that. Mexico is closer to the FIFA calender than MLS is.

10. Mullet&Talon

Mullet&Talon New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why bring in Donovan? I really don't see the point in bringing any starters.

Are there any official FIFA dates after cupcake but before WC? If not, the collective BS hard-on for Jones will become blue balls.

11. wtk

wtk New Member

Aug 10, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    I take it Camp Cupcake is a winter MNT camp in a World Cup year? And where did Cupcake come from?

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there will be the traditional two-three friendly send off after the european season is done. We may have to wait for that we'll see.

We did have Germany prior to WC 06 last time in March i think, we might be able to squeeze a JJ appearance in there.

and donovans there because he always has been there before, that wont change IMO

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perhaps you'd want to see how some of your fringe players fit in with some of the "A" team. Do you learn anything from playing a collection of all fringe players together? Sure, but not how they'll fit in with the real national team.

It is possible that Landon will be sold in the January transfer window.......and won't be available.

One player that our original poster missed is Holden. I'd think he'd be there.

Replace Mullan. There's no reason to have all three of Mullan, White, and Gaven.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    yeah, it's a winter camp for our MLS/Scandinavian players........followed by a friendly or two. Since it's not on a FIFA date..........we can only get some of the players together. And the friendlies are usually played against Scandinavian "B" teams.

We've called it camp cupcake for a long time on these threads. I don't know the original reason for calling it that........but it makes sense to me.

15. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea when this game could/will be announced? I'm heading to LA sometime in January , and would like to be a HDC for this game.

16. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    i am sure donovan will be in europe....

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Usually the weekend of the NFL conference finals (MLK weekend?) is one. There will probably be another.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    most likely, yes. But I was reading that Aguirre was saying that Mexico has a 5-game contract with SUM to play matches in the US between now and the WC. He indicated that these are the games he will use to analyze the majority of his players. Since there is only 2 FIFA dates between now and the end of club season, it is likely he will make call ups during the club season.

I know, I know, the clubs may let the Mexican players go for these friendlies when the don't have to, and can reject any US requests for similar dates.

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Mexican based players but certainly some Scandanavian players will make it

Some names I would like to see

Omar Gonzalez, Alejandro Bedoya, Brek Shea (LB), Mix Diskerud, Chris Pontius, Troy Perkins

20. Mullet&Talon

Mullet&Talon New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's this based on? Since he sucked at LM in the U-20s? Does Dallas play him there, or is this pure speculation?

Gonzalez is one I'd really like to see, especially with our shortage of CBs with both Gooch and DeMerit injured.

21. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    i am sure it will be around late january around the last 2 weeks...

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perkins will be there........gonzalez might........and the rest are serious maybes. Shea won't be called in for left back..........if we've already got Bornstein and Pearce in camp. Shea's something like 5th string on the FC Dallas left-back depth chart alone. (Benitez, Pearce, Wagner, Wallace......then Shea). If he's called in, it will be for the midfield. I don't see why Bob would do that......but you never know.

I think we'll see Bob call in players that at least have a prayer of making the world cup team. This squad is going to have more of the MLS nat vets than the usual camp cupcake roster.....as they're all fighting it out for a roster spot. He could call in Gonzalez..........or he can call in Marshall, Conrad, Califf, Goodson, etc. Guys who've played with the nats in the last two years.

There WILL be a couple of newbies, though. And the guys you mention are options

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Haven't been following too much on his form, but Drew Moor was someone that Bob had brought in the past few seasons.

24. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MY camp cupcake 23. Note that I am only putting in players from Scandinavia and the MLS, because this is not a FIFA date:

Goalkeepers: Hartman, Perkins, Reis
    Defenders: Hejduk, Conrad, Goodson, Bornstein, Califf, Gonzalez
    Midfielders: Donovan, Feilhaber, White, Rogers, Bedoya, Diskerud, Holden
    Forwards: Ching, Cunningham, Casey

I wish that we can play somebody else besides Scandinavian countries at Camp Cupcake. One idea would be Japan, whose domestic season ends and we can play a J-League/Scandinvian based team.

I know...No Torres, no Castillo...No Vidal, etc. I do not think Mexican clubs will want to release their starters on a non-FIFA date. Same with Jones.

The one surprise player in all this is Danny Califf. The loss of Onyewu puts him and Conrad in genuine competition for a spot.

25. euroman 4

euroman 4 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Califf & Parkhurst have fallen out of favor with the Danish clubs and neither has played in the last 6 matches or so. Don't think either are a consideration for anything just now with the Nat's.